1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

$250 for a taiwan knife?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by PURPLEDC, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PURPLEDC

PURPLEDC Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 4, 2007
    So I get all excited because Spyderco finally comes and decides to release a flipper folder. YAY!!! then I see its Made in Taiwan? Ok so that was a little disappointing but then im like, so what? It will be cheaper and I can buy a couple instead of one. Then I see that the pre order price on these things is over $250. WTF? Sorry guys but I wont pay $250 for a CRKT and I aint gonna pay that much for a Taiwan knife even if there is a hole in the blade. I hate to say it Spyderco but If your trying to compete in the bearing operated flipper folder world, that was an epic fail. Come on Sal, quit taking plays out of the lynn thompson play book.

2. four_shore

four_shore

Oct 21, 2010
    have you ever even handled one of their taiwan made knives? the QC is top notch. the sage series alone proves that there is no lack of quality coming from their manufacturers overseas. a titanium framelock with cts-204p steel and a bearing system is not going to be 50 bucks...get over it.

3. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Excellent. With an attitude like that, Spyderco doesn't need you for a customer. If you want it made in Golden, be prepared to wait another five to ten years. They'll need to expand the factory a couple more times to increase production capacity. Of course, if they can't sell the knives made by their excellent contractor in Taichung, it will take them a lot longer to raise the money to do the expansion.

Edit to add: By the way, guess who introduced Lynn Thompson to the makers he uses in Japan? Sal did. They were the makers he was already using.

4. Justa

Justa

Jul 25, 2011
    My Taichung spyderco's are of superior f&f and excellent materials. Comparing them to CRKT is insulting.

5. KNaB

KNaB Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Your loss dude. I own four of spyderco's Taichung-made knives and all are exceptional.

6. Seanifred

Seanifred

Sep 3, 2010
    $256 bucks says it'll be worth the price.

7. Myker

Myker Banned BANNED

Feb 5, 2011
    No it's not. Nothing wrong at all with CRKT products!

Whats wrong with CRKT? F&F for the price is incredible! I can get one of there flippers for a third of a Spyderco, so now what! This fan boy crap is getting old. Ya I said it!

8. espnazi

espnazi

Dec 7, 2010
    So is a SanRenMu.(for the price)

To the OP all Taiwan Spydies I've had have excellent F&F, I would arguably say better than those from the Golden factory.

9. four_shore

four_shore

Oct 21, 2010
    this is not a spyderco vs. crkt thread.

it's a thread that further proves that there are too many people in this world :)

10. monsterdog

monsterdog

Oct 27, 2008
    I had a similar attitude to the Taiwan made Spyderco knives, but they have the best f&f I've seen from Spyderco, its mindblowing.

11. chester22

chester22

Feb 1, 2012
    every knife I have from Taiwan... ie SOG/CRKT is top notch quality.. they make some of the best blades money can buy. If a USA company has there stuff produced in taiwan they are not trying to make $$$$ by mass producing.. If that was the case it would be made in China. I'd buy a quality Taiwan made knife for $200+ everyday especially spyderco

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  12. spydusse

spydusse

Dec 14, 2010
    Cant blame you as i can see from what you said you have not handled a Taiwan made spyderco. I actually think Taiwan has the best f and f of the three main with Golden second. Btw i got my pre order in for th Southard with blade hq :p

13. RickJ

RickJ

Mar 2, 2003

I agree, after the U.S I want knives made in Japan or Taiwan, remember Taiwan is a free Country working hard to keep Communist china off their backs.

14. JBK2596

JBK2596

Oct 7, 2010
    Many of the biggest (and most experienced) Spyderco user/collectors will place Taichung above the USA line in the F&F department.
    they are in no means a cheap line, that's where some of the most expensive spydies are made.
    basically theres going to be about 100.000.000 responses on your ignorance:chargrined:

15. OffTheGrid

OffTheGrid

Sep 5, 2011
    I won't buy knives from China or Taiwan regardless of the price. The quality of the product has nothing to do with it. If I'm paying that kind of money for a knife it should give me pride of ownership. I don't get that from knives from China or Taiwan. I know many people don't agree, but that's the truth for me and many others. Sure a luxury model Hyundai might be a good car, but it doesn't compare to the German or Japanese luxury brands in terms of perception. I know so many people will say they don't care about the perception of an item's origin and that quality is all that matters to them. Good for you if you can say that, but many picky consumers can't. For me a $256 knife is a collectible that I won't beat up and will be kept a very long time. Having China/Taiwan on the blade makes the knife much less collectible for me and many others. The knife does not have to be built in America for me to buy it either. Virtually any other countries of origin would be fine with me. For instance, German Bokers are much more appealing to me than the Chinese Bokers. I am not trying to convince people that love their Chinese/Taiwanese knives that they should think like me; I'm just giving my perspective. Also, having more criteria to consider when purchasing a knife keeps my buying low. I prefer to have a handful of knives, watches, guns, or whatever that I like in every way as opposed to buying dozens of items that catch my eye.

16. Justa

Justa

Jul 25, 2011
    I didnt say crkt's suck or that they arent good knives for the price. That said, Taichung Spyderco's arent in the same class. They're high end knives and it is insulting to compare them to value brands just based on where they're made.

PS - someone who has beckerhead as their location shouldnt really throw stones about fan boyism either. It makes your false assumptions even more suspect.

17. MEJ

MEJ Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 24, 2011
    I just purchased a spyderco terzuola and the quality was top notch.
    I was hesitant at first also but now im seeing a sage in the future

18. Orion's Belt

Orion's Belt

Mar 15, 2010
    As already noted, the Taichung maker is top notch. My Gayle Bradley and Sage 1 have the best fit and finish of any of my Spydies. That being said, I was hoping that the price of the Southard would be a bit lower.

19. fiveform

fiveform

Jul 28, 2006
    It wasn't that long ago that, "Made in Japan" meant that the product was junk. Now we revere that country as a high level manufacturer of desirable goods. Next, it was Taiwan that made junk and when it came along and made quality control improvements and the money started to flow, it was China's turn to be at the bottom of the heap. Now, there is nowhere to get an iPhone, or for that matter, most of the rest of the goods we purchase, from anywhere else. At first, the low cost lures companies to have products manufactured in Asia, and when we buy enough at the substandard levels we open the door for factory and quality improvements, then the next thing you know we worship their goods as A-class. I find the progression very interesting. You see a lot when you live a while. Wish I saved all my 80's custom Bali-songs I bought from Les D'Asis!

20. duro

duro

May 25, 2012
    Wow tough crowd. I have to say I understand what the op is trying to convey. It's always nice to own something of quality that's made in the USA. Without waxing too much political rhetoric, it always carries a sense of pride.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.