2OT's or 8OT's

my less than than knowledgeable vote goes to the 2OT since i have only heard of it and never even seen a photo (hint hint) and have seen a bone 8OT.

In my knife cabinet Meershaum bone 8OT's are definately more scarce..I have 7 X 2OT's and not one bone 8OT and I believe this is also representative in the outside Schrade World...
There were 13,000 odd 2OT's manufactured for several years from 1959 I have not seen the manufacture figure for the genuine Meershaum bone 8OT version however they reverted to Delrin fairly quick after introduction it appears...
Now if you are talking the 3OT Meerschaum bone the variant of the 2OT from 1959 then I can say categorically that the 3OT is the rarest as I have seen a small number of photos of the bone handle 8OT with some owned by Forum members here, however there has only ever been one 3OT photographed in Sargents 2nd edition....if you get a chance to obtain an 8OT in bone for your collection grab it. good luck..Hoo Roo

Cal...I did say only one photographed....found in a Church..perhaps its a miracle mate!...I hope another has surfaced after all this time...Herman W has told me he believes only about half dozen were ever made in the first place.and Herman originally owned mine before putting up on the Conferance Room Wall and the rest is history...so pretty scarce to say the least.....I hope this one can be photographed to be sure not a bad 2OT stamping...the sheepfoot blade against the clip, should prove in either case I'm surprised that wasnt discussed
Isnt it strange how another Schrade Walden Golden spike and now this have emerged in short space of time....with Schrade you just never know which makes collecting them all that more interesting IMO....priceless ehh?...anyone want to buy a Mint version 3OT complete with its certificate of authenticity??...Hoo Roo

Larry, How would you define Meerschaum Bone, or maybe describe it. I tried to look it up
to no avail.

Thanks

see told you i wasn't very knowledgeable. and thanks for sharing guys that is why i love this site. and love Shrades.

A original genuine bone 8OT
DSC_0332-1.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

A meerschaum bone? 8OT. . . I think. . .
DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

Hope these help. Say, just out of curiosity, is there more Schrade related discussion happening in another popular forum that I should be taking more of an active interest in? I don't want to miss out and it appears that I may be.

Chuck

I have two 2OT's and one 8OT with a weak main spring, but i'm happy just to have an example in my collection, happy collecting,G.M

I vote the bone 8OT being rarer. I've never seen a mint 8OT example on Ebay, but I've seen half a dozen 2OT. GM and Barry both have nice 8OT's. Barry's is the one of nicest examples I've seen. The one Chuck shows

80T_Bone-2.jpg

Barry's (1fartsmella) 8OT

I do know one collector who has three of them, and they are in his will. He has several 2OT's as well.

If you are talking about Meerschaum Bone, I thought it was used to describe the early Delrin. Ulster and Schrade both used the description in marketing in the early 1960's. I think Chuck's is something other than Delrin. More like that stuff Ulster called Bonite. Ulster usually jigged that stuff though.

The original paper work on early 8OT,s 1960-1961describes the knife as Handmade...
hand-honed edged, the blades are made of fine hardened and tempered cutlery steel.
The genuine bone handle and solid brass linings make "The Old Timer" a practical gift for a distinguished gentleman. No mention of Meerschaum bone.

I have a very early 8 OT much like Chuck's non-bone example above. It shows a little shrinkage, or maybe put together sloppily. The really strange thing about it is that the material is infused with almost microscopic gold colored dust. A person with average eyes for close-up work might not notice it. I have tried to photograph it with poor luck. It came in the very early hinged cardboard box with "wood grain" paper over it. I have shown it on this forum before. It is a bit of a head scratcher. Barry's boner is maybe the most lovely knife I have seen from a factory, along with perhaps a few other lovelies that are much older, such as certain Cattaraugi.

Larry, How would you define Meerschaum Bone, or maybe describe it. I tried to look it up
to no avail.

Thanks

Here's wiki's page on Meerschaum: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meerschaum

Turns out it's not bone at all but sure looks like it. Here's some pics mainly of pipes. I couldn't find any Meerschaum knives but there sure are a lot of pipe pics to give you an idea: http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=Meerschaum&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Og9oTYrYNIf4swOoycmmBA&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=601

Last edited:
Thanks Dave, I knew that it was not bone, but I could not figure why the word
Meerschaum was given as the look of some of the older 8OT's. I though maybe
the handle scales were of a white color or lighter in color than the usual Schrades.
I think that thawk post is right on.

My 2OT handles are genuine bone. All the Genuine Schrade Walden Flyers for 59/60 on Larry V's site state 'genuine bone' handles for the 2OT and the 8OT. They show the actual knives on the flyers. The following Flyers for Old Timer's in the 60's state Meerschaum bone handles....this was also when they were starting to introduce Delrin so they may refer to Delrin as Meerschaum bone as a selling tool having been making the Old Timer range from 1959 in GENUINE bone....I dont believe the 2OT's were made in anything but genuine bone also those very early and scarce 8OT's...I have early 60's 8OT's that are delrin handled...you can count the match strikes to identify the really early models.<the really early ones have one extra>..Hoo Roo
P.S. Why do I now have this mental picture of everyone counting match strikes!...count 'em and see what you think its the way I always identified early Delrin handled models.......

Last edited:
Good information guys I've learned alot,I hope more people will post with what they know.

snagged this one a short while ago. unused but with a few stains, only the paperwork missing. Very pleased at last to add one to the collection. The bone is mighty pleasing on this also.

Russell

rl00897.jpg

rl00899.jpg

That is awesome Russell. The bone color is indeed pleasing. Great one to find.

Back