#35 Beer and Sausage Bar Tool Knife

D4jWg34.jpg

The jigged bone even has the same color as a perfectly grilled sausage.

My knife came in while out on vacation, but here it is. The blade discoloration is the excessive amount of oil on it, no biggie. The pull for me is ideal, although others prefer a stronger pull. The comb does have a little rub, and definitely needs to be cleaned. Overall I’m happy with the knife and looking forward to using it :)

S5HeieA.jpg

Jeepers. We get told not to speculate in the inner workings of GEC, then we get told weird and inconsistent things that supposedly GEC insider info. Why don’t they do SFO’s, why they do or don’t make knives in 440C, why it is all too hard to make any more multi-bladed knives, then suddenly it isn’t. They have a bone shortage then they don’t. They really wanted to make a 35 cattle knife but they didn’t. They dislike blade etches but they stick weird ones on everything they can. They don’t do SFOs but they don’t. On and on.

It must be very hard being a GEC dealer and having to operate as the media and customer service and complaints department!

GEC is coming out of a shutdown imposed on them by the State. As a long time collector of their magnificent knives I am very pleased to see them slowly getting back to normal. Bill has over 40 years in the industry and I have faith in his management.

I guess I will send it in for warranty work. I sent you a message a while back about 97 SFO's but never heard back from you.

Will

I guess I will send it in for warranty work. I sent you a message a while back about 97 SFO's but never heard back from you.

Will

Sorry about that, Will - I thought I had responded but I also have been very busy and things might have gotten lost in the shuffle. I'll review and get back to you.

I thought the micarta looked great. Then I thought the ebony looked great. The bone, however, looks fantastic! All three are great looking knives.

I have pretty bad blade play in one of my jig bones. I may send it in to be fixed.

Darn, I guess I’m just 0/2 then. Mine were so loose it was bonkers. I could almost see the blade moving side to side when I would just tip the knife on its side there was so much play.

You’re not the only one, I have the jigged autumn bone, it’s got a weak back spring, little to no snap and some bad play. Unfortunate. My Northfield Barlow is an alligator so I am surprised very much by this blade. And disappointed, it’s bad QC. The comb is a bummer too because it doesn’t seem to be on any kind of back spring... it’s more loose than the main blade.

are all the Combs on a loose hinge?
This one I am going to write and ask about repair. It’s bad.
Beautiful but not super function with the no snap and wobble and loose comb

You’re not the only one, I have the jigged autumn bone, it’s got a weak back spring, little to no snap and some bad play. Unfortunate. My Northfield Barlow is an alligator so I am surprised very much by this blade. And disappointed, it’s bad QC. The comb is a bummer too because it doesn’t seem to be on any kind of back spring... it’s more loose than the main blade.

are all the Combs on a loose hinge?
This one I am going to write and ask about repair. It’s bad.
Beautiful but not super function with the no snap and wobble and loose comb

Unfortunate. My jigged bone was excellent in every way. The polar opposite of what I saw in the micarta and ebony. Odd QC amd standards in this run, I must say.

I have pretty bad blade play in one of my jig bones. I may send it in to be fixed.
So I checked all of mine last night and all of them have some movement. The jigged examples are slightly worse than the ebony examples I have. It's nothing that I am concerned about. I made the jigged with the most play a user and am keeping the other mint. But after my review last night, I will stand by my claim that the ebony examples are better FnF and QC. I do not have a micarta to compare. The bone has wonderful character and looks amazing, but the ebony feels like a better knife.

My micarta has no blade play that I can detect, and I'll check my Ebony and JB when I get home, but they didn't have any immediately apparent issues when I inspected them upon receipt.

Back