#35 Beer and Sausage Bar Tool Knife

3qcYBuz.jpg

is this GEC’s best ever bone colour?

Just got my ebony today. I'm glad thats the one I went with. Really pleased with the fit and finish on mine. I typically edc a dixie stockman and the wharncliffe on that model has a lighter pull (with no half stop). The blade on my ebony is comparable in pull weight if anyone has handled a dixie stockman before. The fork has a heavier pull, but both it and the blade are very snappy into their half stops and open/closed. My comb does snap open, into a rolling halfstop and snaps closed. It has a nice "tuning fork" ping to it. Overall, it actually makes for a great one handed closing on all 3. I'm kind of enjoying the pull weight to be honest.

Now to address the comb. I'm not really sure why people are buying this knife if they don't like the idea of it having a comb? That's actually one of the reasons WHY I wanted one. I work in a lab and the masks we have to wear do a number on my beard. I like the idea of having a comb attached to my knife and will certainly be carrying mine.

I still don't get it. It's a comb. When you're done with it, close it with your hand, using your opposable thumb if necessary. Not snapping into place seems so unimportant...

For 130 bucks I expect all of the springs to function like an proper slip joint. Ive already had it catch on my pants pocket and open up when pulling it out because I had mistakenly assumed I had manually closed it enough.

For 130 bucks I expect all of the springs to function like an proper slip joint. Ive already had it catch on my pants pocket and open up when pulling it out because I had mistakenly assumed I had manually closed it enough.
Nah, it will catch on your pants when fully closed due to the opening pen being exposed. You may want to invest in a slip if this troubles you.

Nah, it will catch on your pants when fully closed due to the opening pen being exposed. You may want to invest in a slip if this troubles you.

Thats fair, I still stand by what I said about expecting the spring to function well.

And you should, what is your expectation of well?

Do I really have to answer that? Every single other GEC example I have is many orders of magnitude better than this single blade/spring. I would expect this of a 5$ junk knife I'd find in a gift shop. I understand its somewhat of a gimmick, and I bought into it, and truthfully I am happy with the overall knife, the comb and the spring just leave a ton to be desired.

Do I really have to answer that? Every single other GEC example I have is many orders of magnitude better than this single blade/spring. I would expect this of a 5$ junk knife I'd find in a gift shop. I understand its somewhat of a gimmick, and I bought into it, and truthfully I am happy with the overall knife, the comb and the spring just leave a ton to be desired.
No, you don't HAVE to do anything, and you have successfully not answered the question. Have a good day.

No, you don't HAVE to do anything, and you have successfully not answered the question. Have a good day.

Sorry if that came off rude, still haven't had my morning coffee. My expectation of "well" is to actually have some walk and talk, the comb on my jigged bone could best be described as mushy; again, I am overall happy with the knife. The pull/walk and talk on the spear and fork are actually for more pronounced on my jigged bone, perhaps the tighter action there has somewhat impaired the smaller spring from functioning as well as it does on my ebony where the main blades have a considerably weaker pull.

Sorry if that came off rude, still haven't had my morning coffee. My expectation of "well" is to actually have some walk and talk, the comb on my jigged bone could best be described as mushy; again, I am overall happy with the knife. The pull/walk and talk on the spear and fork are actually for more pronounced on my jigged bone, perhaps the tighter action there has somewhat impaired the smaller spring from functioning as well as it does on my ebony where the main blades have a considerably weaker pull.
I would agree that the spring on the comb meets the bare requirement of holding it in place open/closed. You certainly are not getting any sort of satisfying snap. I personally would be more concerned if it were an actual blade that could cut me, however I understand others misgivings about it.

Coming from GEC, I would also expect the comb to have some 'snap' to it.
I know we shouldn't have expectations about a comb, but if it's on a spring, I'd expect the 'snap'.

After playing with it some more I do think the tighter tolerances that give the blades a stronger pull might be the culprit for weakening the snap on the smaller spring. Either way, im happy the way it is, id be happier without the comb. Such is life.

As peeps know I am not a fan of this knife, but maybe we can give GEC a break on this aspect. Do scissors on a SAK or a Leatherman have to snap too? How about the cork screw? I don’t think its a requirement

As peeps know I am not a fan of this knife, but maybe we can give GEC a break on this aspect. Do scissors on a SAK or a Leatherman have to snap too? How about the cork screw? I don’t think its a requirement
Zero of the tools on my leatherman wave have snap. All of them aside from the pliers however have a lock though.

I'm not sure anything is a requirement. Just my 2 cents on the knives I purchased.

My next question is when these start getting sold as "users" in the secondary market, do we have to disclose how many times these combs have been through our beards? Kinda gross when you think about it. 3rd question, is beard patina different than normal patina?

Now to address the comb. I'm not really sure why people are buying this knife if they don't like the idea of it having a comb?
That's how I see it. I'm pondering putting up my ebony Churchill in trade for anyone who bought a B&S, but doesn't like the tools.
My next question is when these start getting sold as "users" in the secondary market, do we have to disclose how many times these combs have been through our beards? Kinda gross when you think about it. 3rd question, is beard patina different than normal patina?
Is combing a beard more gross than removing splinters or skinning game? It's best to give used knives a thorough cleaning in any case.

That's how I see it. I'm pondering putting up my ebony Churchill in trade for anyone who bought a B&S, but doesn't like the tools.

Is combing a beard more gross than removing splinters or skinning game? It's best to give used knives a thorough cleaning in any case.

You could tell me you gutted any animal and I wouldn't flinch. Stroked against some strangers face and im raising my eyebrows. Im strange, I know.

Back