350 mile survival field test

Mark Knapp

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm making plans for my next survival field test, it will be a 350 mile walk in the eastern Brooks Range of Alaska from Drain Creek on the Kongakut to the pipeline haul road. I've covered 250 miles of the rout before, leading a pack train of horses and mules, I was on foot.

I'll be alone, and will be trying to document as much of the trip as I can with Go-Pro cameras so there should be lots to share. I will be carrying little more than my 1911 Survivor Bowie, my survivor ulu/hatchet and a space blanket. I will have a back pack to carry any extra food I can gather to carry me through lean spots. I will also have a 1911 Colt auto with me in case a grizzly sticks his nose under the edge of my space blanket while I'm trying to sleep. I will carry extra batteries for the Go Pro and a solar charger to keep things charged. I will also be carrying an IN-Reach on condition of my wife, so she can tell if I'm still moving.

I won't be carrying any food from town or using air drops for support along the way. My plan is to catch and gather what I need.

I am getting very excited about this trip, it's been a while since I've done anything as arduous as this. There will be bear encounters, for sure, and other interesting things.

Ask questions and wish me luck if you like. I will keep you posted on preparations.

I'm guessing this will start in June 2018 ?

For obvious reasons I am not posting the exact dates on social media because my defenseless wife with her .357 and my brother with his AK and our guard dog will be home alone, but it will be this summer.
1f600.png
1f601.png
1f609.png

You going to fish on your oddesey?

For sure, I think I would die if I didn't/couldn't fish. It will be my main source of protein. Char and grayling mostly but I also hope to find some lake trout. I will first tie some flies with materials (feathers and fur) I find on the gravel bars.

For sure, I think I would die if I didn't/couldn't fish. It will be my main source of protein. Char and grayling mostly but I also hope to find some lake trout. I will first tie some flies with materials (feathers and fur) I find on the gravel bars.
Good luck kind sir! I just perused your website and your work looks amazing! I heard the mosquitoes there are a female dog! Are you on YouTube?

Good luck kind sir! I just perused your website and your work looks amazing! I heard the mosquitoes there are a female dog! Are you on YouTube?

I have some stuff on you tube, search 'Mark Knapp' I will put my trek on you tube. Thanks bud.

Sounds like an adventure most of us only get to dream about. I love the 1911 and own a few but have to ask if you believe it's enough gun for an encounter with a grizzly? Will you be using traditional fly fishing equipment or more of a survival style set-up? Best of luck!

Sounds like an incredible journey! Have fun and be careful. I'll be looking forward to the film and pics.

WOW!! Some under taking!! I wish you luck and a safe journey!!:thumbsup: Best Wishes!!! :thumbsup: John

Sounds like an adventure most of us only get to dream about. I love the 1911 and own a few but have to ask if you believe it's enough gun for an encounter with a grizzly? Will you be using traditional fly fishing equipment or more of a survival style set-up? Best of luck!

Well, there are certainly better choices than the .45 Colt Auto to carry for bear protection. That having been said, I will be carrying the best round I can stuff in the magazine. My 1911 Survivor Bowie is based on the 1911 Colt, they go together. It's kind of the point of this walk, to test the pairing in a real survival situation. I've been messing around in bear country (guiding and all) for 35 years and my objective will be to keep close encounters with bears to a minimum as apposed to pursuing them. The intended use of the pistol will be as a noise maker if bears get too close. If one gets really too close I will have to shoot him. That would be at a range much too close for me to miss. The bears in the arctic don't get nearly as big as our average bear in southern Alaska, they seldom get over four hundred pounds.

Yes, I will carry my sweet little 3 wt. Sage but that's just to satisfy my horrible addiction to fly fishing, and just a small departure from the survival thing, I can't help it, I just can't get myself to leave the rod home. However, I will be doing most of my fishing with the stuff I carry in the compartment of the survival knife, as well as items I can gather from the bush - a long willow rod, bait and feathers and fur to tie flies.

Thanks Mark

Sounds awesome. What will you be doing for shelter besides the space blanket?

Just a space blanket. I will be mostly on the move every day but if I find I need to stop and rest, or dry meat, a few days somewhere I will make a more substantial shelter with willow or spruce.

Back