350 mile survival field test

I wish you the best, I would like to say I want to go with you but if i'm honest I am not sure I am up to it. I would like to think I am.
I could use some outdoor time.
Edit, will you take a flashlight & if so which one sorry If you posted the answer.
Just curious why did you decide to use 154cpm steel?

Last edited:
I wish you the best, I would like to say I want to go with you but if i'm honest I am not sure I am up to it. I would like to think I am.
I could use some outdoor time.
Edit, will you take a flashlight & if so which one sorry If you posted the answer.
Just curious why did you decide to use 154cpm steel?

Hi L, My survival knife has a small flashlight on it, other than that, no. It doesn't get dark in the summer where I will be, in fact, I will be there over the summer solstice so no need for one.

I chose 154cpm because I wanted to use a readily available, somewhat reasonably priced, high carbon stainless. I also wanted my knife to be as much American made as I could make it. So far, the steel choice has proven to be a good one, edge retention has been super, and overall performance great. I'm curious to know what thoughts you had on the choice.

Thanks Mark

I think 154CPM is a fine choice especially with a good heat treat, It has a lot going for it, it's just not one of the modern "super steels " most think of for a survival knife.

I think 154CPM is a fine choice especially with a good heat treat, It has a lot going for it, it's just not one of the modern "super steels " most think of for a survival knife.

I make the blades 100 at a time, I've sold just over 150 of these knives. Some of the reports I've gotten back are pretty good. Kevin Estela said the edge retention on them was better than any he had seen. He mentioned another survival knife that he had experience with that used 154 and commented that my edge held up much better than his other example.

Thanks Mark

Is there a website or something documenting your previous trips? Wish I could do this, I've had a long distance love affair with Alaska since childhood.

A real knife maker, who actually uses his knives in places I would love to be! I envy you for that. Good luck on your trip, I’m looking forward to see some pics!

A real knife maker, who actually uses his knives in places I would love to be! I envy you for that. Good luck on your trip, I’m looking forward to see some pics!

Thanks, stay tuned, soon I will be talking more about the gear I'm taking and the route, with pictures.

Hey Mark... I watch with interest, my friend. Very cool idea. Is this what that 10K from FIF is funding? lol.

Hey Mark... I watch with interest, my friend. Very cool idea. Is this what that 10K from FIF is funding? lol.

Nice to see you buddy. No, my wife got the 10K, and did some really boring stuff with it, she paid bills:). I am getting very excited, I've seen and done a like of things but this is going to be epic.Thanks, talk to you later. Mark

I'm making plans for my next survival field test, it will be a 350 mile walk in the eastern Brooks Range of Alaska from Drain Creek on the Kongakut to the pipeline haul road. I've covered 250 miles of the rout before, leading a pack train of horses and mules, I was on foot.

I'll be alone, and will be trying to document as much of the trip as I can with Go-Pro cameras so there should be lots to share. I will be carrying little more than my 1911 Survivor Bowie, my survivor ulu/hatchet and a space blanket. I will have a back pack to carry any extra food I can gather to carry me through lean spots. I will also have a 1911 Colt auto with me in case a grizzly sticks his nose under the edge of my space blanket while I'm trying to sleep. I will carry extra batteries for the Go Pro and a solar charger to keep things charged. I will also be carrying an IN-Reach on condition of my wife, so she can tell if I'm still moving.

I won't be carrying any food from town or using air drops for support along the way. My plan is to catch and gather what I need.

I am getting very excited about this trip, it's been a while since I've done anything as arduous as this. There will be bear encounters, for sure, and other interesting things.

Ask questions and wish me luck if you like. I will keep you posted on preparations.
I'd say that the OP is gonna starve out within 2 weeks, and 150 miles.

I'd say that the OP is gonna starve out within 2 weeks, and 150 miles.

Ya wanna bet? I was once left in the woods in the middle of winter for two and a half months with two weeks worth of food. My pilot fell in a bottle and couldn't get out. In the spring he ran out of scotch and remembered to come get me. I didn't starve out then. You should come with me, it'll be fun.

Last edited:
abz and MK should be dropped in differet locations simultaneously with the same gear, which MK described, and then head for the same finishing line.

We would see, who made it there ... if at all.

My money is on Mr. Knapp.

Seems abz went and got himself banned, so its a moot point.

I guess, he had a choice in regards to how one should behave ....

...he chose ... poorly.

YTr4eOo.jpg

abz couldn't survive bladeforums so you know he'd never survive the wilderness.

You guys are too funny. Thanks for having my back. Some guys just know how to play in the same sand box.

Back