5 or 6 Loveless patterns - The Road to Pasadena Knife Expo

Looking good, David, nice work indeed. I don't know much, but if the tapered tangs come along as well as your grinds did, you've got some very nice blades indeed.. When is the Big Bear coming :thumbup: - hayes

SUBSCRIBED (yikes - work computer) Looks to be a fantastic WIP
Beautiful grind lines - can't wait for the finished products
On being a cancer survivor - Rock on!!

markb - correct

Julian - I believe in the adage "crawl before walk".

Michael - Trying to be; been dealing with it since I was 23, 39 now.

Thanks to the rest of you.

So we left off with the "rough" grinds. I take my blades to 400 pre-HT and then start back at 220 after.

Loveless hunters have a square spine and bottom of the ricasso. The next few pictures really only apply to fighters; most of the time.:D
201canthaveasquarericasso.jpg

So the Chute is clamped ready to round (don't make fun of the size of my vise). I have 5 different vises and I can't get comfortable doing small/detail work on the larger ones.

202radiusricassosafefile.jpg

I use a file with a safe edge to file against the shoulders.

21checkradius.jpg

And check for perfection.

22topbotradiuswilderness.jpg

The Mini-Wilderness with the top and bottom of the ricasso rounded.

23taperedtop.jpg

One of the crowning moments of my career so far. Fighters only have the clip sharpened. So to add strength and character there is a nice taper from the top plunges to the break in the spine. Not the easiest and looks killer on the finished knife.

24readyforguard.jpg

The line-up ready for guards. All ground to 400 on the bevels. Flats are out to 800.

251Mill.jpg

Another one of my finds. A manual Index brand mill. This company is still in business and still made in the USA. They still have records on when mine left the factory and who it want to. I hope eventually to restore it; most of the parts are still available. Just as encouragement, shop around. My mill, vertical band-saw, and surface grinder cost a total of $1950. You will see how accurate the mill and I are in a moment.

255mill416.jpg

Milling some 416 for the Utility, Chute and Mini-Wilderness to nominal size. I am able to get 416 for the Stiff Horns close enough.

26grind416.jpg

Surface grinding to final dimension.

27cuttomake3guards.jpg

Cut to size. (that's just a fancy push stick to the right; safety first)

28milling.jpg

I hate parallels, so I made a pair of aluminum jaws with two steps milled in for different stock thickness. Here milling the guard for the Utility.

29milled.jpg

Finished.

David,
The work is looking great.That Index mill is a classic.I have been thinking of it since yesterday.The grind on your Chute knife is killer.That clip grind is Loveless.

Looking forward to more photos,
Rick

So a little more milling of a fighter guard:

30dblemilled.jpg

311dblemilling.jpg

With the size of these mills (a bit fragile) I drill a series of holes to remove some of the material and then connect the dots.

313.jpg

To bad you pay for everything not just what you use!

32fit.jpg

33fit.jpg

I guess they fit okay? These are straight from the mill, 0 file/hand work.

34done.jpg

Guards fitted; I am note sure were the 6th went in this picture.

35drillingguards.jpg

36drillingguards.jpg

Drilling for pins. Notice the guards just look like chunks of steel:

Pre-HT rough guard shaping.
37millingnotch.jpg

38millednotch.jpg

If I have done it correctly I can remove most of the soon to be waste material and take a bit off of the guard shoulders and create a seamless fit (the reason it is pre-HT).

39fittedpinnedmilled.jpg

Guards fitted, pin holes drilled, and I had to go do one more thing:

40chuteolskoollanyard.jpg

I collect chute knives; I had to go ol' skool and put lanyard holes in the Chute's guard.

A pile of blades:
41readyforHT.jpg

Ready for HT
43HTready.jpg

this thread is orgasmic.

I like the hole in guard on the chute , nice touch, I've noticed a lot of guys leave it out.
Is that a Sharp design in the pile?

Last edited:
I just dumped another installment flipping over to Photobucket.

It's kind difficult to document the HT process with only two hands so I will just show before and after.

My HT corner
42HTstuff.jpg

To prove it gets cool in CA. This was in the shop before I opened the oven door; a strong argument for pre-heating your oven!
44tocold.jpg

It snowed last weekend; was much colder than this.

45Hard.jpg

Just to prove they were HTed

46good.jpg

It worked!

47postHT.jpg

And the finishing fun begins! Finish grind starts at 200 and progresses through 2000. And then...

some hand sanding. Sometimes the monotonous is the most fun (thinking of the recent hand stitching thread over in the Maker's forum).
48sanding.jpg

My beautifully TIG welded, multi-levered, rotating, knife makers vise (painted '03 PT Cruiser green).

49sandingblocks.jpg

Sanding blocks of G10. I read Tony Bose's hand sanding technique and applied it here. If the blade was ground with a 10" wheel I sand with an 4" radius block. This keeps all the grinds crisp.

50sanding.jpg

Open a can of elbow grease and use plenty of prop wash to lubricate. If the final grind is correct (220-2000 deep scratches gone) I can sand with 15 micron and then 2000 and buff. For me this process minimizes buffer time and buffing away all the hard grind line work. :thumbup:The good news is that this seems harder than it is. :thumbup::thumbup:

52success.jpg

Worked pretty well.

first of all; awesome!
secondly, make sure you have a paid photobucket account, if you get enough looks on this thread, and I think you will, and you've got limited bandwidth all of a sudden your pictures might magically disappear!

David,
The guard fit looks great.The polish is looking great.I can't wait for more pictures.I like the lanyard holes on the Chute knife.G-10 for sanding blocks is a great tip.
Thanks,Rick

Sharing WIP's like this to me are one of the huge gifts knifemakers can give to both collectors and other knifemakers.
Thank you so much for sharing. Your work is amazing!

Back