1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

52100 Para2

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Cursum Perficio, Oct 5, 2017.

1. The Mastiff

The Mastiff

Apr 21, 2006
    I have used and collected knives since the late 60's. I've made a few, and sold a bunch as a side job on weekends. I will never understand the whole patina thing. It's just the opposite of what I want my knife to be and look like. Whatever wear and use does to them it does naturally and sure isn't forced. I put less time and work into my tool steel knives than many do "forcing a patina" and usually have them looking almost new. When scratched up they will eventually get a re satin but that isn't from corrosion. For those getting into the non stainless world don't think it's best to patina knives, and a lot of us don't think it looks good. Do whatever is right for you and definitely don't think patinas are necessary for non stainless knives.

joe

amateur blacksmith and jbmonkey like this.
  2. twinboysdad

twinboysdad

Apr 10, 2015
    Agree. I don't like to force much of anything unless I have to- knives or otherwise.

3. silverds

silverds

Jul 8, 2015
    I cannot find anything ugly or unpleasant looking here and yet they all seem to have some characteristic that diverges from what a lot of us might like.

[​IMG]

There are places, away from the internet, where seldom is heard a discouraging word. Find those places...and take your knife with you.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    yep. what Joe said for me as well.

5. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I know there were some changes made to this one (though I can't seem to find the description of them at this time)...anybody know if aftermarket scales that fit other recent PM2s (s30v, S35vn, Cruwear, etc) will work on the 52100? I love the steel; but don't want to spend the money if the scale swap will require sending the knife out.

6. tyyreaun

tyyreaun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2017
    I'm using an RGT micarta scale set on my 52100 and it went on without any issues.

PeteyTwoPointOne likes this.
  7. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Thank you!

8. anycal

anycal

Jan 11, 2017

That's fine. Here is my take on it.

If you use this type of steel in food prep, especially the 52100, and you don't oil it or patina it, you will taste that steel on what ever you are cutting. It doesn't take much. Cut something, let it sit for a minute, then make another cut. You will taste corrosion.

So, you can either oil it, which I'd rather not do as you can either taste the oil or it is not food safe. Or you can patina it.

All that said, I usually don't use non-stainless knives in food prep, unless I have to.

Spectre likes this.
  9. donscpoo

donscpoo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2013
    I could not resist not to put a patina on it. Glad it turned out the way I wanted it to be.

[​IMG]

10. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    After a recent, large scale selloff for me to get a grail, I found myself with a few bucks leftover. One of the knives sold off was my last PM2, and I realize I just cannot be without one in my lineup. So I just made a deal on a LNIB 52100 CF PM2. I'm really looking forward to having this variant, and having a PM2 back in the EDC rotation!

TheFactor, uxo2 and Mingecutter like this.
  11. dogrunner

dogrunner Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 26, 2003
    good choice :)

12. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    Kiwis really gave the 52100 an interesting patina.

[​IMG]

13. FW JSB

FW JSB

Dec 28, 2012
    Thanks.

14. Eljay2

Eljay2

Sep 25, 2018

15. donscpoo

Feb 11, 2013
    I did it with mustard and created the pattern by dapping the mustard. Have fun

uxo2 likes this.
  16. Eljay2

Eljay2

Sep 25, 2018
    Very cool! How long did you let the mustard sit on the blade?

17. donscpoo

Feb 11, 2013
    I left it till the thin layer of mustard were all dried. It took about an hour for me.

18. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    All natural patina.

[​IMG]

PeteyTwoPointOne likes this.
  19. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
    It’s my understanding but correct me if I’m wrong but I thought patina is not only for a personal preference for looks but it also protects against rust and or pitting and further corrosion.

cbr1000, uxo2 and loon#r like this.
  20. loon#r

loon#r Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Yup :thumbsup:

uxo2 and TheFactor like this.