560 Detent Tuning

If the ball is always centered then I agree the only adjustment you have is to make it weaker. I've been playing around with pocket clips and the way the clip holes are drilled it's natural for the pocket clip to fall directly over the lock bar if it's installed for RH tip up carry. You could theoretically increase the tension by bending the pocket clip but that also increases the tension on the tang as the blade rotates into position which makes it harder to flip open. I noticed that the XMs have the clip holes set up so that the clip straddles the cut defining the lock bar so that increasing the tension on the clip only increases the detente pressure until it releases and the blade begins to rotate. I'm not sure if you can do this with the ZT560 without offsetting the holes in the clip a little or using a different clip with the holes offset, but I have done that with mine and it works pretty well. As noted, it's not aesthetically very beautiful but I plan to make my own Ti clip... eventually.

There's a reason the XM is set up the way it is.

Update: Actually, scratch that. If the clip straddles the cut it will only increase the tension on the lock bar to the extent that the lock bar is higher than the scale. And if the clip is stopped by either the Ti scale or the lock bar stabilizer then it won't increase the tension on the detente. But a good Ti clip is still a good way to increase the tension without bending the lock bar, by placing it directly over the lock bar.

Last edited:
I haven't taken apart my 560 yet, so I really have no idea what part exactly this is talking about. I do feel like the detent could be stronger. It doesn't seem to flip out as easily as the ones I've seen videos of. This kit would be able to adjust that, right?

And I was going to suggest a small fishing tackle box maybe with cotton balls put in to reduce rattling during shipping.

If this happens I'd like to be in as well. Ive come very close to sending mine in for repair and simple lazyness has left it un-carried due to nearly no retention (its really just not safe, the blade is so damn smooth an slips out so easily).

On a separate note there is what seems to be a lot more in this single thread, people complaining of weak detent(usually I see its too hard) then any other place Ive seen. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

If this happens I'd like to be in as well. Ive come very close to sending mine in for repair and simple lazyness has left it un-carried due to nearly no retention (its really just not safe, the blade is so damn smooth an slips out so easily).

On a separate note there is what seems to be a lot more in this single thread, people complaining of weak detent(usually I see its too hard) then any other place Ive seen. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

Mine isn't unsafe by any means & still opens smooth & quick with the slightest wrist action. But I have a feeling it could be a little bit better.

I haven't taken apart my 560 yet, so I really have no idea what part exactly this is talking about. I do feel like the detent could be stronger. It doesn't seem to flip out as easily as the ones I've seen videos of. This kit would be able to adjust that, right?

And I was going to suggest a small fishing tackle box maybe with cotton balls put in to reduce rattling during shipping.

hold your knife up to the light when it is closed and look at where the detent sits into the blade. Do you see a gap between the lockbar and the blade? If yes then then a smaller closing stop pin MIGHT help increase the strength of your detent but only if the cause for your detent being weaker is in fact that your detent ball isnt centered with the hole in the blade. The detent on your knife might be centered and the ball fully seating into the hole as much as it will go without force as sometimes detent holes are cut slightly smaller than the detent ball so there isnt any slop in the closed position. I still feel it is simply easier to "Yield" the lockbar a hair to increase the grip the detent ball has on the blade.

Thanks for pointing that out but I think you under thought the process of installing a larger detent ball. Any time you install a detent it is automatically assumed that you drill the accompanying hole in the blade for that detent ball. As it is really is a two part system. I didnt think I needed to spell it out but I guess I was wrong about something. The larger detent ball will do a couple things. 1. You will have an increased depth that the ball can reach into the blade. Of course only AFTER you increase the size of the hole in the blade to accommodate it. 2. The larger diameter ball will have a more gradual radius to it and will glide a little better on the surface of the blade instead of digging in and wearing a channel in the blade over time. This in turn would allow you to reduce lock bar pressure while increasing detent strength of the larger ball which needs to be moved further to release the blade. That ability to reduce lockbar pressure would further alleviate resistance on the blade as it rotates which is the real cause of most friction in a bearing flipper.
You had me at gradual radius. Your words paint masterpieces in my mind.

I yielded my 0801 lock bar plenty of times. Works like a charm.

Forget installing things. Just bend the bar in. :)

I yielded my 0801 lock bar plenty of times. Works like a charm.

Forget installing things. Just bend the bar in. :)

Think I'm going to try this on mine. It's a little sloppy while closed and I wouldn't mind a bit more authority when opening. I've just never bent Ti, I know it doesn't like too be cold set either. I'm guessing to just go slow..Maybe I'll try putting a caliper on it, keep track of "progress".

Back