6lb axe / RIVETING DISCUSSION ON PROUD HAFTS!!

Hey guys hope everybody is well and having a darn good time swinging!

I have just received my first 6lb axe (Elwell) and have a bunch of questions. If you can answer any at all that would be great.

So first of all until now my heaviest axe is 4lb..this 6lber is a freaking monster in comparison (one day I'll find one of those 7's!)

Can anybody tell me about the potential age of this head? It has a W stamped on the bottom too which I would love to know what it means or represents.

Overall the condition doesn't look too bad. The edge has file marks on it luckily so doesn't look like power tools have gotten to it. A bit of mushrooming there but nothing crazy. I love the dark patina and am questioning whether I should file off the mushrooming and clean it up. My 2 schools of thought are that I don't like the bright metal from filing against the old patina and removing weight is not ideal I want it to be as heavy as possible. So.. if this was yours would you clean it or leave it?

The toe is a little worn so need to bring the heel back. It has a raised center line should I go for a full banana grind on it or keep a similar grind across the edge? What would you do if you were restoring this brute?

Handle length.. I am usually a 32" kinda guy. What do you guys use on big heads? What would a 28" be like on this? Easier to fell trees I would imagine as the weight is closer to your body.. Does one go longer for larger heads..36"?

Lastly (for now) what was the purpose of this axe when manufactured? Bucking? Splitting? I couldn't imagine using it all day! Haha.

THANK YOU! :D

1PqugiA.jpg

l4PVUoQ.jpg

iLRtbhn.jpg

j1diopQ.jpg

jV7OCVx.jpg

flxLIa2.jpg

Vi5950p.jpg

rKDYk0j.jpg

That's a really nice axe... congrats! I wouldn't bother with the mushrooming, there's hardly any there! And if it were mine it would definitely be a splitter and therefore would get a medium convex half banana grind. I did that to my largest axe a 5lber and it's an awesome splitter now!

The mushrooming isn't bad enough to worry about. Sever mushrooming can throw metal chips the next time it's used as a hammer. It can also interfere with splitting if it puts a large 'lip' on the poll. But yours isn't anywhere near doing those things. Just leave it.

Given it's weight and your acknowledgement that you wouldn't want to swing it all day I say you should set it up as a splitter. Whatever style/length handle you like for splitting.

I would use it for splitting and not worry about the mushrooming on the poll. Which has likely not been heat treated.
The edge and cheeks are nice and thin. Put a edge on it and give it a test drive. My Council which is under 6 lbs. is a good splitter. They just look big. I don't mind swinging mine for most of a day.Happy splitting. DM

Thanks guys I will hang it on 36" will be great to have one that length as an extra option in my fleet. Appreciate the opinions on the mushrooming I will leave it as is.

What would you consider this pattern to be? Possibly a Dayton?

Would you recommend pulling the heel back first with the file and then start on the banana grind? Maybe this would be easiest for someone less experienced as my self to get an even grind across the whole bit.

And sorry I just need to clear up my understanding of the terminology.

Is half banana left hand side and full on the right?

nilFbor.jpg

What is the impressions on the right hand side by the eye from? I have the similar thing on a couple of my axes pretty much same spot up and/or bottom.

Also both eyes are nice the top high has a tiny lip however. Should this be 100% flush for the hang? Would it get in the way possibly from the wood making the most contact with the steel inside the eye?

Reactions: A17
Yes, it should be flush. I'd get a chainsaw file or a half round file and file it down. The impressions are from when someone used a hammer on the top to try and seat the head on a haft.

This is a 4 lb. ax which had thick metal at the cheeks. Then ^ I thinned them and it cuts & splits much better. Which yours
does not need. If you are going to use your 6 lb. ax to split with, a 35-36" handle would be best. Good luck, DM

David good to hear from you. Are you coming to that conclusion from the photos of the top and the bottom of the head (looking down onto the eyes I mean). Does it look a fair bit thinner then other high center line cheeks around? I'm liking the advice and will begin with a light grind on it and see how we go from there. I can always take more off but can't add steel. Cheers, Rob.

Yes, it should be flush. I'd get a chainsaw file or a half round file and file it down. The impressions are from when someone used a hammer on the top to try and seat the head on a haft.

Thanks bro I only have flat files and never thought about using a chainsaw file for it that's perfect my old man has one i'll have to pinch.

Would you recommend pulling the heel back first with the file and then start on the banana grind?

Yes I would. And be deliberate about it. Draw out the shape you want then cut to your line. Then file to your profile. Don't take the directly to a thin edge or you will blunt your file. I prefer to cut the heel on a grinder, then profile with a file. But you can dull bit gradually with the file by rolling out to it. Once dulled you can hold your file perpendicular to the bit for shaping.

David good to hear from you. Are you coming to that conclusion from the photos of the top and the bottom of the head (looking down onto the eyes I mean). Does it look a fair bit thinner then other high center line cheeks around? I'm liking the advice and will begin with a light grind on it and see how we go from there. I can always take more off but can't add steel. Cheers, Rob.
Yes, looking at your ax head, it looks thin enough and the toe and heel are close to even. So, I don't think it needs any work.
Then, yes. Once, you squirt the toothpaste out of the tube, you can't put it back in. This is why I'll use mine first, to see how
it works. Then make up my mind on how I'd go about making it better. DM

The only thing I can add to this great advise, for this particular head and the intended use (splitting), is make your haft a 36", straight, large butt swell, vertical grain, sap wood only hickory (if you can find it where you are). I would also cut the top of the haft flush with the head.

Yes, I cut mine flush as well. Because if I don't, that's were damage to the haft will occur. DM

The only thing I can add to this great advise, for this particular head and the intended use (splitting), is make your haft a 36", straight, large butt swell, vertical grain, sap wood only hickory (if you can find it where you are). I would also cut the top of the haft flush with the head.

Thanks Axeman I'm hearing you loud and clear on all fronts. I usually leave my axes proud however, I did not consider making her flush. I suppose then this would be a good rule for all splitting axes then? Would you agree on one exception though; if the hang was not fantastic and the hanger did not have a spare handle then having that extra meat on top to mushroom over the eye a little would be of value?

Back