A 2016 Forum Knife. An apology, and The Crossroads!

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
While I am not 100% committed, I can feel myself being drawn into helping to bring about just one more Forum Knife.:rolleyes:
If I get the OKs from the powers that be (that includes all of you!), and if we can come to a consensus on a knife and the handling of it, I'm in. I feel that the sense of community this tradition brings about is invaluable!

Still in the research and development stage, I just had a talk with Spark, who owns Bladeforums, and he has renewed his OK for 2016. We are using his trade name, so we need that permission.

GEC has informed me they are fine-tuning their schedule, and while incorporating a Forum knife into it, it will be impossible to do such a complicated knife as the Scout!! Sniff . . . . .
My apologies for diving into that one too soon, but maybe someone can bring us there in future years - I hope. On the good side, I think we can bring it back to the $100 limit!!:thumbup:
The silver lining!!

We can however do a one-blade or two-blade knife, and possibly bring in a new pattern, ironically, the one that would form the basis of a future scout, a 3 3/4" Equal ender! That is if we wish. Otherwise, we can possibly make it on the #15 frame, or whatever they have in the schedule this year. I suggested a single-spring knife, and Bill said yes he could do that. Maybe we could do an abbreviated scout, with a utility blade at one end (a Radio-Scout? - 0r??). If anyone has an older knife with those blades, please post a pic, or send me one!

So, is this path making sense to you my friends? Please comment, suggest, criticize (keep it positive if you don't mind!) and send in/post pics of anything interesting! I await your feedback!!

Im game for whatever may come of this. Im here for the community just as much as the knives, so any knife will be remembered and cherished.

An Ettrick, Please :D Never been done, One blade, curvy beauty.

Great that you're in again Charlie, Thanks.

Best regards

Robin

Well, it's really great to hear that you are leaning towards bringing to pass another knife. It's also wonderful to hear that Spark has given his okay. That means this is already a very positive thread!

Last edited:
I am in, thank you Charlie for even thinking about it!!!

A half scout would be awesome:thumbup:

Hmmm, a radio/opener on the rear end with single spring?! That would awesome. My vote: white owl (with LPS, of course) and an opener on the other end sharing the spring. Halfstops on both please?!

:)

Yes and yes and yes some more!

It almost sounds like a half-scout would fit the bill for people who want their '16 forum knife to be a more unique pattern. The "which blades do we use" vote will be a bear, though, count on it. :D

While I tend towards jack knives as far as 2 blade configurations go, an equal-end of that size could definitely be a winner. Blade configuration will be key. May I suggest: Master spear, secondary sheep (think Vic Electrician), smooth Micarta (with this new idea I think maybe ivory Micarta could be a nice option)?

If the #15 frame comes to pass, perhaps the secondary blade could be a STR-EK style driver/stripper/saw blade, or a nice Wharnie if we want to stay closer to convention now that the full scout idea is out the window? I guess my preferred configuration changes slightly depending on the base pattern. :eek:

Frankly, at this point, Charlie, with you as captain of this ship I plan on scooping up a '16 knife or two (or as many as my wallet can support when all is said and done) regardless of pattern or blades. I know you won't steer us wrong and I want to reiterate my profound appreciation and gratitude for your efforts here and in the future.

Let the fray commence! :D :D

I'd love a slim scout like that! Something akin to the featherweight girl scout and cub scout knives.

One layer two blade sowbelly (two blades, one spring).
Trailing point main
Wharncliffe secondary (but coping or Sheepsfoot could fit too for a more stout tip).

Trailing point tucks away nicely when using the secondary, and is Very slicey since it would be inherently this bladed.
The secondary would add a Great utility blade.
----------
Unfortunately, GEC isn't currently making a sowbelly, which may be preventative. But, if they were looking for a reason to make one, a forum knife would be a Fantastic introduction to a pattern!

Thanks for your involvement, Charlie! The 3 3/4" Equal Ender sounds most excellent. The previous Bladeforums knives have been marvelous and I am sure this year's model will be as well.

THANK YOU FOR CREATING SOME HOPE CHARLIE! Given some other threads I was afraid that the Traditional BF knife had come to an end. I will be happy with whatever pattern we settle on, and look forward to participating in the polls and process.

This is great news indeed!
I was thinking about a 2 blade single spring spear and awl, or if you want to get real unique, a sheepsfoot main with an awl.
There has already been a bladeforums knife with a caplifter, so I think the punch should get a turn on the forum knife.

Of course I'm still REALLY hoping for a coffin jack.

While I am not 100% committed, I can feel myself being drawn into helping to bring about just one more Forum Knife.:rolleyes:

Wow, some serious mixed emotion going on here! I was very excited about the scout for a forum knife, now pretty bummed it won't happen..... However, very happy you're spearheading the forum knife anyway!

I don't want to suggest a particular pattern, but I would like it to be unique, not readily available and not necessarily stick to a $100 limit.

This is great news indeed!
I was thinking about a 2 blade single spring spear and awl, or if you want to get real unique, a sheepsfoot main with an awl.
There has already been a bladeforums knife with a caplifter, so I think the punch should get a turn on the forum knife.

This works too, IMO. I was a keystroke away from mentioning a punch as secondary on an equal-ender but I figured there'd be a rush for spear masters. Imagine how cool a slim equal-ender with a sheepsfoot and a punch would be. :D I like the way you think!

While I am not 100% committed,... I feel that the sense of community this tradition brings about is invaluable!
A certain sense of community is shared by all of us here and will enable us to cooperate with you and each other to bring about a 2016 Blade Forum knife. Thank you Charlie for giving this project your serious consideration.

If I get the OKs from the powers that be (that includes all of you!), and if we can come to a consensus on a knife and the handling of it, I'm in. I feel that the sense of community this tradition brings about is invaluable!

Still in the research and development stage, I just had a talk with Spark, who owns Bladeforums, and he has renewed his OK for 2016. We are using his trade name, so we need that permission.

GEC has informed me they are fine-tuning their schedule, and while incorporating a Forum knife into it, it will be impossible to do such a complicated knife as the Scout!! Sniff . . . . .
My apologies for diving into that one too soon, but maybe someone can bring us there in future years - I hope. On the good side, I think we can bring it back to the $100 limit!!:thumbup:
The silver lining!!

We can however do a one-blade or two-blade knife, and possibly bring in a new pattern, ironically, the one that would form the basis of a future scout, a 3 3/4" Equal ender! That is if we wish. Otherwise, we can possibly make it on the #15 frame, or whatever they have in the schedule this year. I suggested a single-spring knife, and Bill said yes he could do that. Maybe we could do an abbreviated scout, with a utility blade at one end (a Radio-Scout? - 0r??). If anyone has an older knife with those blades, please post a pic, or send me one!

So, is this path making sense to you my friends? Please comment, suggest, criticize (keep it positive if you don't mind!) and send in/post pics of anything interesting! I await your feedback!!

Great news! I love the single spring equal end idea.

I dont really have much in the way of finances to contribute - but if I can volunteer my time to help logistically, then I would love to do so.

That all makes perfect sense to me.:thumbup:
I dont want you getting stressed out over it though.I'd be more than happy with some sort unique handled 2 blade Charlow that we could call our own .Commonsense is not one of my talents but you've got to admit thats not a bad idea and keeps in with your suggestion.I think I can safely speak on behalf everyone and say Charlie your thoughts and opinions are foremost in this venture.
I for one am looking forward to what develops and am in for the long haul.Hey its only February.
Cheers.

Well I think this is fine! Your experience and ability Charlie, will ensure a desirable knife. I'm not a fan of Scouts at all so this is actually positive for me....

A special Barehead 15 with Wharncliffe has not been done yet..

Any Equal End knife single or double blade would be great, but something unusual like Drop-point Master and small Clip??

Propeller or Gimp type shield would be a grand plus too on an Equal End.

Light Bone maybe? Mostly it's been dark.

What I'd really like is a Swell End Barehead, Rat-Tail small bolster and Sheepfoot longpull, no shield needed on this one!

Any kind of Surveyor knife..

Perhaps ask Bill Howard what he would suggest? That way, he indulges his fantasy and we could all benefit......:D:thumbup:

Thanks, Will

Back