A 2016 Forum Knife. An apology, and The Crossroads!

Thank you very much Charlie, we really appreciate it! I would love a knife with a screwdriver scraper blade, but honestly will take whatever we decide on with pleasure.

Connor

Thanks Al, I think it's one of the great historic patterns, and a great practical user, but most members won't be able to try one out unless they get a modern one imported from the UK, which may be of variable quality, or are lucky enough to find an old one in decent condition. Charlie really knows that pattern well, better than some of the contemporary Sheffield cutlers certainly. It''d be something really special and unique, something to really treasure :) Also, at the end of the day, it's a single blade knife, so shouldn't be expensive or difficult to produce :thumbup:

You make a very persuasive argument, Sir.

redsparrow, are the covers on the knife in your picture bone or ram's horn? I love the translucent look of horn. I wonder how much that would add to the cost.

You make a very persuasive argument, Sir.

Well I can pick up another Lambsfoot anytime I want here, but I know it's hard over there for them ;) :thumbup: It could be the very first factory-made US Lambsfoot :thumbup:

... It''d be something really special and unique, something to really treasure :) Also, at the end of the day, it's a single blade knife, so shouldn't be expensive or difficult to produce :thumbup:
The Forum knife is expected to be unique, a Lambfoot blade this side of the Atlantic is just that, maybe even scarce. (Try and find one) Yet it's every bit as useful as the wharncliffe or sheepfoot but much thinner when closed that either of those. Just a few things to consider for those not familiar with it. It would make an excellent Forum knife for 2016.

r8shell, since I swiped the pic from the internet I don't know but I think Ivory or Oiled bone have the same look.

Last edited:
Here's an old Robeson to ponder...

IMG_3744_zpslduzshed.jpg~original

IMG_3747_zpsgjkmp8v4.jpg~original

I think a nice compact fixed blade would be a nice change of pace. Something under 6 1/4" OAL would be ideal, a knife you could keep on your belt without it getting in the way or in the pocket if you're so inclined. I know we all go crazy for folders, but consider the fixie!

Thanks for posting that, Philllll!!
It is easier to persuade Bill (and Me!!) to do a traditional knife, if some actually exist in tradition!

Anyone else got something to show us??

Bill's not ready to do a Sowbelly yet, but stick with him long enough, and you will probably see one!

No problem Charlie let me know if you want me to send you or Bill the knife to ponder in person!

Thank you Charlie! Im in for 2 no matter what. A tip bolster 2 blade single spring with dark jigged bone would be great

Thanks, Charlie, for contemplating taking this on again this year. I appreciate it. The idea of having someone with your expertise and taste make the hard decisions on what models to choose is awesome.

I, myself, have no real preference, and just enjoy the fun of working together as a community to create something unique and special.

Charlie, I also have something similar, it is an equal end, built by Kutmaster and based on the old Girl Scout size frame with two blades. I would also be glad to send this knife to you or Bill if it would help things along. OH

IMG_22263.JPG

As usual, I am in for whatever and thanks for lighting the fire, Charlie!

I am available to assist in any way, it has been a few years since I did any good around here. ;^)

best

mqqn

In for one, whatever the group decides! Thanks Charlie, even before the excitement of 2015 knife wears down, you brought another fantastic news! :)

No caplifters!!!! It's been done before on a forum knife and we literally just had a crap load of beer scouts come out not long ago.

I'd much rather see something else as a secondary.

Well I can pick up another Lambsfoot anytime I want here, but I know it's hard over there for them ;) :thumbup: It could be the very first factory-made US Lambsfoot :thumbup:

This is what the Forum knife is all about, something different and wonderfully built. We could actually have made one of the best single blade lambsfoot knive Ever to be made. Dramatic swedge, dramatic handle shape, bolster to end all bolsters. :D

GREAT idea Jack.

Best regards

Robin

This is what the Forum knife is all about, something different and wonderfully built. We could actually have made one of the best single blade lambsfoot knive Ever to be made. Dramatic swedge, dramatic handle shape, bolster to end all bolsters. :D

GREAT idea Jack.

Thanks Robin :thumbup: It's true most Lambsfoot knives have been ordinary utilitarian working knives. This could be a chance to make something really excellent :thumbup:

Back