A 2016 Forum Knife. An apology, and The Crossroads!

Hmmm, a radio/opener on the rear end with single spring?! That would awesome. My vote: white owl (with LPS, of course) and an opener on the other end sharing the spring. Halfstops on both please?!

:)

I like the idea of a White Owl with a bail...is there any reason we couldn't get a cap lifter + can opener combo tool?

Thank you Charlie for jumping into the breach again this year! Like the sound of a 3-3/4" equal end, spear main, punch secondary. Tho oiled bone would be nice for covers.

Good stuff Charlie :thumbup: In some ways this simplifies things a little...perhaps...well for most of us :eek: I like the idea of a single spring knife, but the only 2-blade single-spring pattern I like is the humble penknife. We had a large single-spring 2-blader last year. I'd be well up for a single-blade folder, the Ettrick hasn't been done as Robin said, or how about a good, nicely designed Lambsfoot, something like George Mallory carried on his ill-fated trip to Everest in 1924, that's always been a dream of mine. If we're talking two springs, I could go with the Doctor's Knife, or a good simple traditional Jack. Not that I've forgotten about a New England Whaler, a nice big Sheepsfoot on GEC's 47 frame, long-pull, swedge, rat-tail bolster, ebony covers...:)

George Mallory's Lambsfoot:

pocket-knife-found-in-the-pocket-of-the-remains-of-mt-everest-george-picture-id1477156

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Mallory

Last edited:
I sure did like some of the embellishment on the bolster of the SFO rope knife that Charlie did. Maybe we can incorporate something like that?

921484BE-9A59-46F1-8E00-A63001D2EBF5.jpg

I will second the thanks for jumping into the breach Charlie. I'm with Jack on his thoughts on the knife--count me in on that vote!

A long pull spear on one end, and a caplifter/screwdriver at the other (single spring) would be a fine slim keeper. Thanks for the effort!

Whatever the pattern is decided, I will be in. Thank you Charlie for stepping up again.

That said, I am very sad that the Scout knife shall not be the knife we get. I do a Giveaway in May where I ask people to nominate a kid that I will give a new BSA Scout Knife to, in memory of my little brother. The Scout pattern is very special to me, and I have wanted to get myself a nice scout for some time now. Case makes a very nice BSA Scout, but the cost had always kept me from picking it up since it would not be a knife that I would use that option. When the Bladeforums GEC Scout seemed like a possibility I was thrilled because that would have been a good reason in my mind to lay out the extra cost for my fancy scout.

Ah well, it was a nice idea while it lasted.

I would also support a New England Whaler/Rope/Navy knife option. Especially one with a marlin spike.

First of all, thank you Charlie!

So many good ideas already mentioned. I would certainty be in favor of an Ettrick or a Lamb foot.

I've been pushing for a smaller knife with a punch/awl, either a peanut, or a gunstock like the #22 magnum. But an equal end Harness Jack would also be nice. I'd like it in either a two spring Jack or something like this.

But with perhaps a clip or sheepfoot or lambfoot blade.

I wonder if GEC could come up with an acrylic that mimics french ivory without the cell outgassing issues. Like an off white pinstripe?

Very good news that Charlie is willing to lead for one more Forum knife!! I would be happy with whatever pattern is chosen, all suggested so far sound good. I agree with Jack, an Etrick or lambsfoot would be great, as would an equal end single spring knife of some sort.
Dan

Sounds like we are off to a good start and I'm in for two knives whatever the pattern! An equal end does sound enticing though... Thanks again to Charlie, Spark, and all the other fine folks that make our dreams a reality each year!!! :)

The Victorinox Bantam has a spear blade and a cap lifter

53949.jpg

I also like the idea of a 2 or 3 blade sowbelly

Jack, I like the way you think. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks Al, I think it's one of the great historic patterns, and a great practical user, but most members won't be able to try one out unless they get a modern one imported from the UK, which may be of variable quality, or are lucky enough to find an old one in decent condition. Charlie really knows that pattern well, better than some of the contemporary Sheffield cutlers certainly. It''d be something really special and unique, something to really treasure :) Also, at the end of the day, it's a single blade knife, so shouldn't be expensive or difficult to produce :thumbup:

Back