1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

A big Fat load of corporate BS

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Hickory n steel, Jan 19, 2020.

1. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I understand the employer's point of view. If you don't follow it, worksman's comp insurance may not apply (injury and lost time) and certainly any subsequent liable law suit would have no grounds due to injuries sustained on the job when using your own blade.

SOLEIL likes this.
  2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I wish they'd let each store manager use discretion.
    We're always #1 in the state when it comes to inspections...ect, and besides me and my dad are the only ones who carry knives.
    Both of us doing a job that has us using them constantly throughout the day.

BTW I was given one of these when I first started and I believe the boss will let us carry these which are much more useable, but I stopped carrying it because they constantly fall out and the lanyards break.
    [​IMG]

3. CoryMc

CoryMc Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2016
    What company is this?

4. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    It applies to but doesn't really effect everyone, I'm one of the only two people who carries a knife and actually need it often throughout the day to do my job.

5. SOLEIL

SOLEIL Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Unfortunately this is the bottom line to any company with a sizable workforce. Our workforce is global, GE, and the quickest way to get fired is for drugs, safety and attendance violations. This is a common scenario, "You hurt yourself with an unapproved tool that was not cleared for the floor". "But my boss knew I had it and didn't say anything". "You should have known better, every employee knows what the policy is when they were hired. This is a recordable injury to OSHA, our insurance and our facility". Then it was an accident review board made up of employees and staff to hash out root cause of the incident. If the root cause was safety negligence in violation of policy the employee was usually fired. Just because you have to cater to lowest denominator does not mean you have to retain them.

Crazy Canuck and Insipid Moniker like this.
  6. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    What would Milton Friedman say? I am not positive, but I agree.

best

mqqn

timberweasel likes this.
  7. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker

Feb 28, 2011
    You seem to be contradicting yourself a bit here. In the first quote you seem to be arguing against those policies, while in the second you seem to acknowledge that they're a necessity (and, in fact, the vehicle by which you can, legally and without paying unemployment, do the firing mentioned in the first quote).

Getting older likes this.
  8. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    Forgive my reading comprehension but if they are providing them, is it such a bad deal?

Personally, I think any bans on basic tools is a bad deal. You've got to weigh the pros and cons of keeping your current job, and whether or not you'd keep it if you ignore the policy.

9. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    Sometimes I feel like I’m living in Wienieville.

SOLEIL likes this.
  10. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Seems silly to me. Unless they have employees that are minors. Or mentally challenged or disturbed.

My company has a no guns policy. But any knife is fine.

As a Tradesman I have lots of really dangerous tools. Power saws, hydraulic shears, grinders, torches etc. A utility knife is probably the safest tool I use.

slips and falls cause the most injuries. Then dog bites. Then motor vehicle accidents. It is rare to see someone hurt with a tool.

11. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    As stated already, it's about liability and insurance costs.
    @Hickory n steel, have you ever suggested cut proof gloves in lieu of substandard cutting tools?

MolokaiRider likes this.
  12. timberweasel

timberweasel Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Superb :thumbsup:

mqqn likes this.
  13. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    The problem is that they don't work as good in practice as the people who want us using them but don't know shit think they're supposed to.
    They're extremely limited in what they can actually tackle and there's no way I'll have a sharp blade when I need it.
    ( Hopefully I get to use the easy cut 2000, I can at least sharpen the proprietary blades they take )
    As far as keeping my job, it's not gonna be a problem.
    Nobody's gonna know that I've got a small traditional folder in my pocket, I won't let anyone see me use it at work if I do but I'm simply not gonna leave home without one In my pocket.

If I can't leave the house with a watch on my wrist, hat on my head, and knife in my pocket I'm not gonna leave the house at all.

gotgoat and Cosmodragoon like this.
  14. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    I can't carry at all at my job.
    I do have one in my backpack though and a Gerber zip pull on my keychain.

WValtakis likes this.
  15. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Well good. If no corporate policy says that's what you have to carry, you can carry what you want!

what does we knives have to do with this.

Watch the language. You've been letting the s-bombs drop a little too easily lately.

marcinek likes this.
  16. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    You sound like a baby here. It's just a job. Take a step back and look at what you are saying.

17. DrHenley

DrHenley

May 31, 2019
  18. Neko2

Neko2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Thankfully, even at the multi-billion dollar company I work for, this hasn't caught on.
    Most folks in the warehouse use stanley style utility knives and I bought everyone in the print shop husky folding utility knives.

I keep knives and tools on me everyday but ideally use the replaceable blades on cardboard and mystery materials. I like to save my knife for food, wood and the occasional minor surgery.

Maybe ask your boss if you can pick a knife from the catalog so you can get something more suited to your work style?

19. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Typo.
    I meant to say that they can sell knives, and customers aren't prevented from walking In with them so I don't get the hole weapons crap.

20. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Again, I totally get why the policy is not popular.

But an employer may have several reasons why they may implement this.

ES&H policy, insurance reasons, etc. Not to mention, they don’t want anyone to get hurt.