1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

A Day in the Life of a Field Knife Updated with Fire Making

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by never.truly.lost, Dec 11, 2018.

1. never.truly.lost

never.truly.lost Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2015
    No idea; once I get my hands on one hopefully in a pre order if nothing else I will compare a side by side. Nathan had hinted at doing an evaluation in a seperate thread but everyone is busy this time of year so wasn’t going to bother the CPK crew abput it until after the New Year.
    I had mentioned that I am not a “hard user” as far as durability and stuff; more just an everyday-in-the-field user. To me axes are for chopping and jackhammers are for concrete smashing; knives are for slicing, cutting, and making coffee-I mean LIFE (same thing) easier as well as stabbing if needed although I carry specific knives for that however.

That being said I like having a knife that can take the hard use if warranted (emergency helipad clearing, cutting firing ports into walls, the usual Red Dawn stuff).

2. Oyster

Oyster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2011
    never.truly.lost likes this.
  3. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Whoooo brother, you're making me remember my timber cruising days. I can feel the quarts of tracer paint digging into my back through the vest right now. Awesome thread.

4. never.truly.lost

Dec 13, 2015
    Odog27 and Oyster like this.
  5. Oyster

Aug 2, 2011
    Thanks! Was just curious. I was thinking it must be somewhere in the 1500-2000m range, but don’t know where in the NW (how far north) you are..

ETA: just saw the link you provided. Cool. When you mentioned you were a timber cruiser the other day, I ended up spending a good two hours on a cruiser blog where guys were swapping stories about their various adventures and what gear they carry etc etc

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  6. abbydaddy

abbydaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2014
    Great thread @never.truly.lost ! Really enjoying it.

I was just wondering what kind of vest you use. I have been getting more field work lately, and I am in the market for a cruiser/surveyor vest. The museum has visibility vests in my size (of the mesh no-pockets variety), but I'd prefer to have an actual pack vest in the field.

7. never.truly.lost

Dec 13, 2015
    @abbydaddy I run 2 different vests. For cruising specifically I use this:

http://theextremecruiser.com/product/the-rouge

It has the best pocket layout for days when you are continuously using different items like spray paint, data logger, hypsometer/vertx, ribbon, notebook, and more. I like it a lot for the layout which will be familiar to .mil guys with the magazine-type pouches for the items you are using all the time and admin above. The Extreme Cruiser also is great for customizing pockets, colours and materials.

For my other vest as pictured in the start of the thread the model is this:

https://www.irlsupplies.com/subgrouping.htm?cat=5879

While it isn’t as user friendly as the EC vest, the pack frame allows you to carry more and be comfortable all day/less fatigue = more productive. In the summer especially when you can move fast and the temps are high, extra water is needed and more supplies like ribbon so the weight begins to add up.

Let me know if you have any other questions; can chat via PM*

Cheers,
    Andy

abbydaddy and stjones like this.
  8. never.truly.lost

Dec 13, 2015
    Updated post #3 and #4 with fire photos!

David Lennon, Oyster and Odog27 like this.
  9. Oyster

Aug 2, 2011
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Hey, really, thanks for taking the time to share these!

Great looking dog, btw. I‘m sure he makes an excellent companion out there.

Also have another question: I see you carry an axe with you in the winter to check the thickness of ice (maybe other uses as well) and so pairing it with the FK probably has you pretty well covered. Are there other times (maybe other seasons) where you prefer to leave the axe behind and opt for a bigger knife, eg the HDFK, instead (for overall weight considerations)?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  10. XtianAus

XtianAus Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Sick write up, thanks for an enjoyable read :thumbsup:

11. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    This is really great, Thank you :)

Scout is one good looking dog !!!

I currently have a Norwegian elkhound :)

12. never.truly.lost

Dec 13, 2015
    I generally have an axe of some sort (in this case when I don't have any blazing or chopping to do I carry a tomahawk) always. I will leave the axe in the warmer months or when I am specifically laying out a ton of ribbon and need to free up as much space and weight as possible.
    In addition to that, I still carry a large knife with me regardless. For years I carried a Gossman Tusker and that is one of the most used knives that I own. Right now I am rocking a Spartan Harsey Model 1 as my big blade/stabby tool. The FK is more of a do everything beside an axe/hatchet/hawk, big knife as a backup and for defense.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  13. Oyster

Aug 2, 2011
    A Spartan Harsey M1... fancy (not many of those made iirc)

gusbuster and never.truly.lost like this.
  14. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Awesome posts! I'll admit, I am a bit jealous of your job! :cool: Sure wish CO looked like that at the same altitude on the Eastern slope of the Rockies. The similar coniferous zone doesn't start here until almost 7,000' AGL. If it was as low as it is up North there, I'd be in the pines. :)

15. never.truly.lost

Dec 13, 2015
    A64EA6A7-1A58-4E64-88A2-C119D39A0C4F.jpeg

16. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    that is a very interesting comparison

17. never.truly.lost

Dec 13, 2015
    Once my MC makes its way North then it will most likely replace the Model 1 for my big blade*

gusbuster, Oyster and Odog27 like this.
  18. Odog27

Odog27 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Cruising out in the woods. With your dog!
    My job sucks

gusbuster, TRfromMT, Grenock and 4 others like this.
  19. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Awesome thread! Thanks for sharing!

20. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    I do enjoy threads like this. This is the sort of thing this pattern was created for. I like seeing our knives used by these sorts of folks in these kinds of environments. Also, it looks like a really cool job.