1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

A lesson in half-assing sale posts

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by Josh K, May 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    Sorry, I think this was my bad and I shotgunned this post.

Jump straight there:

I'm not leaving feedback, because there wasn't a “deal” but just be wary of his quick:

with a later decision not to purchase.

Rule #1 for buyers:

I didn't ask for PayPal, I offered him multiple means of payment. I listed a total price for the piece. He insisted on PayPal and Goods & Services (I don't mind at all) but decided he didn't want to pay for shipping or the extra cost he would incur on his (declared only) means of payment.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  2. DMD08

DMD08

Jul 22, 2005
    Josh, we can do it this way if you want.

SECTION 2 - Rules/Procedures for Selling, Buying, Trading, & Offering Services:
    The implementation of common sense is strongly encouraged beyond this point. This applies directly to the persons involved in the transactions.

Sellers/Selling -
    1. Be 100% sure that you want to sell the item, have it in your possession and clearly list the TOTAL selling price.
      • There is no "testing the waters" or "gauge buyer interest".
      • "Net to me" needs to be figured into your LISTED PRICE
      • Insurance is the responsibility of the SELLER not the Buyer. This is for your protection.
      • Paypal "friends & family" is STRONGLY DISCOURAGED. This is for your protection.

You listed the knife for $465. I was willing and ready to pay $465 until you started your bait and switch. You mentioned no payment restrictions or modifiers to the listed price in your thread. Then via email you stated "$465 (net)". This goes against the exchange rules as posted above. You then said you would take $465 but you needed my address to give me the total cost with shipping. Again this is against the exchange rules. Due to your lack of transparency in your sales thread and adding costs on the back end I refused to participate in the deal.

And your price drop was nice. Petty much?

I look forward to a moderator removing this thread.

3. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Per the rules here, the posted price must be inclusive of shipping and whatever other applicable charges/fees. If I'm reading your post correctly, you effectively raised your price after he agreed to purchase.

4. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    Is there a link to the original thread

5. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    The prices you have listed are all inclusive. This means that whatever price you have listed includes the extra cost of fees and shipping. Even after your edit, you still aren't clear on your asking prices.

6. DMD08

DMD08

Jul 22, 2005
  7. JackTheKnifeGuy

JackTheKnifeGuy Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2017
    How this could've went.
    Seller: $465 please
    Buyer: yes $465 goods and services right?
    Seller: no. $465 F&F. For goods and services $(
    higher price)
    Buyer: oh, no thanks. GLWS though.:thumbsup:
    :D

-parts ways peacefully-

Total price including goods and services and shipping should always be included to avoid confusion. Otherwise it looks like you're trying to make someone commit to extra fees. I don't think it was "BAD" for him to back out, especially when you were still negotiating payment terms.

8. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
    No reason to remove the thread.

Given the information that’s been posted, this does not reflect badly upon you as far as I’m concerned.

9. LEGION 12

LEGION 12 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Wow .................

JJ_Colt45 and 91bravo like this.
  10. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    What bait and switch? You asked for a specific payment method. You should have asked first. I guess your fingers ran away from you there.

I’m really unsure how one is suppose to include shipping with unknown buyer locations. The (new?) rules seem to not mention that.

11. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Any CRK will fit in a small flat rate box, which is around $7.85 last time I shipped something. You list your knife for a certain price, but when it comes time for the buyer to pay, the price is different. I believe that is the issue at hand here.

12. PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    Ok so when OP said he gave multiple payment options I was expecting to see that information in the post but it is absent in fact the post mentions nothing about payment options only a price. I fully agree with @DMD08 on this the OP did more of a bait and switch that is a bit of an exaggeration of it but the point is he didn't list the price as total price with listed prefer payment method. If buyer opts for an alternate method than seller preferred which would adds cost to the seller I understand the seller making some modifications to the price.

Insipid Moniker likes this.
  13. CoryMc

CoryMc Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 3, 2016
    It looks to me like he assumed you were following the new rule of listing the “out the door” price only to find out otherwise. I would have backed out as well.

14. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    With your earlier shenanigans I wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to be shipping outside the US.

15. DMD08

DMD08

Jul 22, 2005
    I think the rule is clear. The listed price should be the actual price. I was willing and happy to pay your listed price. I'd recommend you review the BF exchange rules and alter your sales threads methods to comply.

16. PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    Since the rules mention PayPal and it is still currently the top default payment method for here, and many other places such as eBay, with rules also indicating F&F is not acceptable the assumption is any price listed not stating otherwise is for PayPal G&S. In regards to shipping you assume in your pricing a non-foreign shipping so like USPS Small Flat Rate, $7.90 as of yesterday for me, and mention that you won't ship internationally or that international will cost more.

palonej and ArchVV like this.
  17. DMD08

DMD08

Jul 22, 2005
    Shenanigans? Please clarify in detail.

18. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    The newer boxes don’t fit. And that’s a pretty cheapskate shipping method. And doesn’t account for international. Or different requested shipping options. Or a signature. Or any number of different things.

I’m happy to include shipping in the US, but based on our interaction I figured I would ask. As Daegan should have before committing.

19. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    If you prefer other payment options, you should make that clear in your ad.

20. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    I did certainly half ass the post. I added more details to the top. But, despite my half assery, my point is you should ask any questions you are unclear about beforehand instead of quoting rules chapter and verse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.