A little Bowie comparison.

Bawanna

I been aching to share this with everybody, to me it's extremely exciting but alas, wife made me go to work and do other stuff. But now she's out and I'm home alone to do whatever I please. I feel so wild and free....................

Ok enough about me.

After this new little Ram Lal Bowie was left behind I asked for it and got it. The blade shape appealed to me and I thought a guy can't have too many little bowies ya know.
What I didn't know was this is a completely different animal as the stats forthcoming will make clear.
I of course love all things HI and have a pile of them to love but this has me genuinely EXCITED!

Here's a shot of an original size (short handle) IBBB. Made by Bhakta of course, then the same knife that I knocked the handles off and hung elk antler on, (everybody knows how much I LOVE this knife). And at the bottom the new Ultra Slim Fast Ram Lal micro bowie.

Looking at these photos one see's the slightly different shape of the blade, it's a tad bit shorter which won't appeal to ham fisted guys but it's perfect for average to small hands. Nothing to get excited about here.

Now yall better sit down and grab hold of something, maybe bite down on something so you don't break a jaw when it drops.
Check this out.

The handle tang on this bad boy is actually thicker than the blade!

Here's some stats for those that are into the numbers and such.
The original Bhakta (which I intend to leave unmolested for posterity) is 8.75 ounces, is 8 1/2'' OAL and 5/16'' thick.
My Antler handled Bhakta basically the same knife is 8.01 ounces, 7 7/8'' OAL and about the same 5/16'' thickness.
Now grab hold of something again!
The Ram Lal bowie is 5.78 ounces, 7 5/8'' OAL and get this boys and girls less than 1/8'' thick. My OSHA approved stanley tape measure don't got marks less than 1/16''. LESS than 1/8".
You could slice tomaters in the kitchen with this little beauty.

Now iffen I grew legs and returned to the great outdoors where I truly belong, my Bhakta Bowie would be my constant companion and it is and has been ever since Auntie sent it to me out of the first batch.
But for my girly man everyday existence in the suburbs, small town around the office, this light weight Ram is for sure gonna see belt time with ole bawanna. I'm totally jazzed about this thing, it's a perfect everyday fixed blade.

I say light weight but I still believe a fella could pry open a car door with it. It's light but not girly man if you follow the flow of my stream, or small crick depend on where your from.

I done asked Yangdu if she had more of these as I figure there's gonna be a run on em now that we know what they really are. And I don't think Bhakta has anything to worry about far as sales of his originals go but some competition.
She hasn't got back to me as yet, sure she's busy as usual, and Pala and Kaanchhi leaving today and all.
So I don't know. I do know I want another one in case I get tempted to hang antler on this one too, I want an original for posterity ya know?

Ok that's all I got. Like I say, I'm extremely excited about this one and figure many of you will be too.

Peace / Out.

Couple more pics I missed.

I gotta have Kaanchhi and Chokpa show me how to paint my nails like they do.

What a beauty! I'll have to attempt to snag one, hopefully more come up for sale. Ram Lal is a keeper! I agree on the nails, it might take awhile to find your color.

Wow, Ram Lal is doing some really interesting work. I now ponder having my grail kukri of an 18" 18oz. Hanshee made by Ram Lal.

Well, the anticipation will make the end product even more appreciated once in hand. Always a bright side so they say. However, I'm first to admit, it's sometimes near impossible to recognize the aforementioned bright side.

Wow! I didn't jump on it because it was horn and only looked a little different in shape. Now I regret it of course. Great snag Bawanna!

What?! I had no idea it was that skinny. it looked 'standard'..

Awesome snag! Perfection

Well you all know me and patience never belong in the same sentence. I was dead set on carrying this new thin IBBB to work TOMORROW! I think to myself, yeah, I can do this. Alas no more kydex........:eek:

This is not good, this will not work. Co worker who I know has some is on vacation in the Caman Islands. Looking at the map, I can not drive to the Caman Islands and get his house key. Breaking in is a crime in some parts........what to do.

Insert light bulb here.....I knocked the new handles I just put on my Santa Gunz R6 in anticipation of horn or antler.
I just made a kydex sheath for it........................hmmmmmm.

Eureka, a little heating, reshaping, a few minor burns to the hands and wala (never wrote wala before, is that spelled right?).

Here's the naked R6 (which I love very much I might add) and the sheath made for it originally.

When bawanna gets his head set on something, best get out the way, it's happening like a run away freight train.
I'll be sporting the new IBBB tomorrow with a smile on my face and a song in my heart. Better that way, my singing sucks.

The R6 and the Bowie make a nice pair!
I'm having the HIKV itches over here.

Oh that's cool. I didn't know an ultra slim version was made.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. The short handle with full scale coverage is still my favorite version.
I'm really happy with that custom mod.

I think this is the first thin one they have made, first I've seen anyhow. It's a winner.

I think this one with a full scale handle would be perfect for most everybody.

I never cared for the longer handled version following the original. It lost something along the way.

If I can get another one of these I'll knock the handles off one and do a full tang handle for trial and evaluation.
I do this as a public service and I can't wait to do if I can get another one.

If I can get another one of these I'll knock the handles off one and do a full tang handle for trial and evaluation.
I do this as a public service and I can't wait to do if I can get another one.

You want to experiment on a long handle or do another short one?

I want another short one. I hope they don't make a longer one. Guys with big hands will hate me probably but I have medication to help me deal with the pain of being hated. And of course it's not my call. If they want to make longer handled ones then that's what they'll do.

No worries, I have a good hacksaw.

I really want the twin sister to the one I got but I don't want to be a glutton, I'll let a few others get their hands on one before I try again.

I like my thin bladed butterfly swords. I would like thinner knives/swords all across the board.

I agree for the most part. Still like the heavy's on a few of the models.

B'Man, how would the proposed handle compare to the one IBBB I purchased on auction and probably on it's way to Pugs? I emailed Auntie a few days back in regards to another RL. She responded today and said her hands were full for obvious reasons and would get back to me. If I was lucky enough to score another, I could have it sent directly to you. However, in turn, I don't wish to take advantage of your good nature. If similar dimensionally handle wise, I can keep things as they are and use the RL as a standard. Please advise.

Jay

Overall handle length is probably pretty close on the auction one and the new RL. Maybe a bit more handle on the RL if it was a full coverage handle but a bit less with the exposed tang. I find it semi comfy to just let my pinky finger ride on the exposed tang part. It actually would act as a stop if you were to try and poke something. The handle shape also provides a bit of a finger guard for the pointy finger as well so you got double brakes so to speak.
The girth of the handle is actually probably pretty close between the two.
The Auction bowie along with the 2nd Spear Vala are in Pugs hands as we speak. I imagine he's already working it to some degree.

What's your plan on sending it to me? You want to put a full handle on it?

I think your the first person in my whole life that said I have a good nature. I don't mind telling you I'm a little puffed up now but like a bee sting or a snake bite, the swelling will go down after a bit.

Ram Lal is a talented young Kami!
Great pix post, thank you Bawanna

Back