A little Bowie comparison.

.... Now if your going after elephant or my personal # 1 desire Cape Buffalo, a large knife might be in order, perhaps a chain saw. Although I think they have local experts to do the hard stuff when you hunt them big critters.....

This reminds me of a couple of Gary Larson cartoons.

LarsonElephant.jpg LarsonMammoth.jpg

Probably see a new one soon of a derelict in a wheelchair with a 477 Nitro Express being charged by a Cape Buffalo.

Hair is standing up on my neck just thinking about it.

I prefer short blades. Use a Case mini-trapper for black bear and things smaller. Bawanna, go find the video Black Death if you want to go hunt Cape Buffalo. It'll scare the bejesus out of you. It's the most exciting thing I've seen since the late hostilities in SE Asia!

I prefer short blades. Use a Case mini-trapper for black bear and things smaller. Bawanna, go find the video Black Death if you want to go hunt Cape Buffalo. It'll scare the bejesus out of you. It's the most exciting thing I've seen since the late hostilities in SE Asia!

Yes it will, lots of close calls in that one I think he ended up doing a series of five videos.

Think I saw it many years ago. I have several books. It must be exhilarating to hunt something that hunts you back.

Think I saw it many years ago. I have several books. It must be exhilarating to hunt something that hunts you back.

Now that's hunting! Sometimes you get the prey but, sometimes it can get you. It's what makes me tick. That said, I witnessed a South African field dress an 1800 pound Eland with a pen knife. No doubt he was skilled, but..

As I have mentioned in the past I really love the Havalon skinning knives. Small little scalpel style with replaceable blades. I have had nothing that I have skinned that needed a bigger blade than that. Bigger just makes it more difficult to get around the ball joint on the hindquarter. If you have a small sharp knife you cut AROUND the bone where with a thicker stiffer knife you have to go through not only the cartilage but frequently a bit of the joint bone as well. I usually prefer the "gutless" method for most field dressing. I even use the majority of that method when quartering bull Elk. I have dressed and caped a bull buffalo with the Piranta, North American style though, not a Cape Buffalo. Always wanted to go do a Big 5 hunt in Africa. Take my H&H and put it to the use it was originally made for. But never had the chance.

I want to hear about the H&H. 375? 300?

I don't much care to hunt the kitty's, just a Cape Buffalo. No elephant on the wish list.

I don't much care to hunt the kitty's, just a Cape Buffalo. No elephant on the wish list.

I'm the same way, no desire to hunt lion or leopard, perhaps a mountain lion. Not sure why my mind makes such a delineation. No desire for an elephant either.

No one will believe this, hard for me and I was actually there in person. But many many years ago while bow hunting for elk I was down in a deep draw and a couple of buddies above and behind me kicked up a herd. They started moving down the draw which looked like it bottle necked at the end.
So I took off running just as fast as my little legs would carry me. I was quite the runner back in the day too.

There's kind of a worn path at the very bottom of the draw so I could go pretty quickly.

I come around a little bend and low and behold out of no where there's a fair sized Bob Cat right in the path with out a care in the world. (until I came along). I was going so fast there was no time to react and I just had to hurdle over it. Kind of sad really, rarely see them and I often wish I could have watched it for a bit.

Alas while still running 3/4 throttle I looked over my shoulder and he was as anxious to go the other way as I was to continue my mission.

Long story short I didn't get the elk. Friend apparently muffed a very close shot, missed just over it's back which is what kicked em up in the first place. Would have been a miserable pack job to get it out where I was anyhow. Still a fun memory.

Poor photo shots from last season partridge hunting. Featured animals below were left alone unarmed.
You know what they say... The best camera is the one you have on you... Well. That's it.

Pgb1IHT.jpg

icF5XFV.jpg

This one was BIG.
a7DaG0c.jpg

Them moose are not to be trifled with when their mood isn't right. They can put the hurt on a person quick time.

I wouldn't mind hunting a moose I don't guess. Like a sheep to hang next to my bow and arrow mountain goat.

And a Cape Buffalo. That's about it.

Them moose are not to be trifled with when their mood isn't right. They can put the hurt on a person quick time.
Moose's first response to most situations is fleeing. They are not aggressive in nature.

But their hooves are heavy and sharp and they know how to use them. In a confrontation, getting kicked or trampled can end you for good.

And then, you don't want to play cockblocker with a Buck during the mating season. High hormone levels and frustration do not mix well :D

Their enemy #1 are wolves. Mooses do not have good eyes, so any dog will be seen as an immediate threat. The dog I trained and use well for small games is a natural herder. He goes nuts as soon as he crosses any cervidae tracks and will go after it if I'm paying attention.

It's not too much of a concern with deers and other relatively small ones. But if the dog finds a moose and makes it mad enough to get charged. Guess in which direction my dog will run?

Fortunately, the dog stays close to me most of the time. So when he starts running after something. He starts from where I am and moves toward the tagged cervidae. Then self preservation reflexes kicks in and the carvidae will just try to flee in the opposite direction. By the time my dog catches up with his new friend, they are far enough. He never brought back to me a very upset moose. But there are documented cases where the moose found a stinky human on its path while trying to teach dog a lesson.

I love youtube.

A perfect example of DONT and a good thing dogs didn't comply
[video=youtube;SaQkOXqJ7W0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaQkOXqJ7W0[/video]

Then here you have a very smart dog that made the moose chasing him away from its master. Something I'm not sure my dog will do.
[video=youtube;JQU9INFBDRU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQU9INFBDRU[/video]

It was a beautiful double rifle in .375 H&H Magnum. I got it many MANY years ago when I could afford such without all the engraving that H&H is justly famous for. I also had the wood finished in satin and the steel satin blued so the sides of the receiver didn't reflect like a giant signal mirror. All of the punch though. And it was a BEAST, weighed in at 12lbs 3oz. NOT comfortable to carry around all day. But I had wanted one forever and I got it. Sadly, I sold it a few years ago along with a couple of Hubbies safe queens when we finally accepted that neither of us was going to be going hunting in Africa anymore and the money could be put to MUCH better use. Still a sad day when I closed the case for the last time and handed it to the new owner.

Back