A little Bowie comparison.

Auntie, it is you and Ram Lal who deserve thanks. I just get to enjoy and do my happy dance for his new creation and your good taste in talent.

Overall handle length is probably pretty close on the auction one and the new RL. Maybe a bit more handle on the RL if it was a full coverage handle but a bit less with the exposed tang. I find it semi comfy to just let my pinky finger ride on the exposed tang part. It actually would act as a stop if you were to try and poke something. The handle shape also provides a bit of a finger guard for the pointy finger as well so you got double brakes so to speak.
The girth of the handle is actually probably pretty close between the two.
The Auction bowie along with the 2nd Spear Vala are in Pugs hands as we speak. I imagine he's already working it to some degree.

What's your plan on sending it to me? You want to put a full handle on it?

I think your the first person in my whole life that said I have a good nature. I don't mind telling you I'm a little puffed up now but like a bee sting or a snake bite, the swelling will go down after a bit.

We've talked, kinda opposite but I spent much of my youth in a hospital and in a chair. Had to relearn to walk at thirteen. You get to be a very good judge of character when you're in a wheel chair and when you survive, empathy for others. We've never met face to face. However, I know you're of good nature, one of the best. Now, before you turn into a puffer fish, there are others here of good nature as well. I think we'll all agree that Auntie takes the cake.

If I'm lucky enough to score one, I'd prefer a full handle.

You get it, I'm on it. No puffer fish here. You deflated me with the others of good nature line. Now once again at most I'm average........medium sigh..........

I meant to inflate, obviously I fell short of the goal. I just didn't want to go to far and have you explode. LOL! You're the best, don't forget it.

B'Man, how would the proposed handle compare to the one IBBB I purchased on auction and probably on it's way to Pugs? I emailed Auntie a few days back in regards to another RL. She responded today and said her hands were full for obvious reasons and would get back to me. If I was lucky enough to score another, I could have it sent directly to you. However, in turn, I don't wish to take advantage of your good nature. If similar dimensionally handle wise, I can keep things as they are and use the RL as a standard. Please advise.

Jay

Hey Jay, didn't I sold you one short handle IBBB from the very first run made?

If not I will look in my steal box again. If it's still then I'm seriously considering sending it over to Bawanna. You know... To keep him busy experimenting with stag and all.

No, I inquired at the time and you said they were gone. I bought some larger ones. I believe 10" and 12". I think I have 3 or 4 15's and a 20" Bura. I got AKB's pretty well covered unless I come across an 18".

Can smaller hands grab a longer handle? Easily
Can big hands grab a shorter handle? Not so easy and often painful.
Will the more flexible longer handle work for more customers and therefore sell more knifes?

Either way, great to see the trend to thinner blades

I hope the kami's don't put out a contract on me messing around with their handles and stuff. I like to think I'm not messing with the soul since I don't mess with the metal. (well maybe just a bit on a couple).

I certainly don't mean no disrespect to them, their work is incredible. I have tried to make a traditional handle more than once and failed miserably. If I was an apprentice over there making handles I'd be fired and probably have to seek employment finding that wild honey on the mountain sides. I don't do bee's or heights so would be a poor job for me.

Stag can be and is challenging. Takes just the right piece and right now I got nothing or this new Ram Lal would probably already be wearing it. I'm always on the lookout for it though and will give it a go anytime I find some that will work.

Do have lots of wood though. Like to get a bunch more stabilized stuff but pretty big bucks for the good stuff.

I hope the kami's don't put out a contract on me messing around with their handles and stuff. I like to think I'm not messing with the soul since I don't mess with the metal. (well maybe just a bit on a couple).

I certainly don't mean no disrespect to them, their work is incredible. I have tried to make a traditional handle more than once and failed miserably. If I was an apprentice over there making handles I'd be fired and probably have to seek employment finding that wild honey on the mountain sides. I don't do bee's or heights so would be a poor job for me.

Stag can be and is challenging. Takes just the right piece and right now I got nothing or this new Ram Lal would probably already be wearing it. I'm always on the lookout for it though and will give it a go anytime I find some that will work.

Do have lots of wood though. Like to get a bunch more stabilized stuff but pretty big bucks for the good stuff.

Though you did a pretty good job doing a Chiruwa style handle on my WoodenWWII.

Understatement of the year!
I for one admire the handle modifications you made to the auctioned daggers for example.

Can smaller hands grab a longer handle? Easily
Can big hands grab a shorter handle? Not so easy and often painful.
Will the more flexible longer handle work for more customers and therefore sell more knifes?

Either way, great to see the trend to thinner blades

For me it's all about keeping in compact. I wear mine everyday. Now I'm only talking about the mini bowies here.
A khukri I can handle a longer handle, still prefer on the shorter side but I can live with longer as long as the girth is right.
I truly believe most guys want more handle than they really need. I mean they have to have enough handle to hang onto but no need for extra handle in front of or in back of the hand.
I'm anxious to see what BB thinks of the little antler handled bowie when he gets it. It's definitely on the short side, plenty of birth but the texture and shape of the handle I think will work for even large hands. At least I hope so.

I do like the trend to thinner across the board. Lighter.....a win win. But I love em all, don't matter much.

For me it's all about keeping in compact. I wear mine everyday. Now I'm only talking about the mini bowies here.
A khukri I can handle a longer handle, still prefer on the shorter side but I can live with longer as long as the girth is right.
I truly believe most guys want more handle than they really need. I mean they have to have enough handle to hang onto but no need for extra handle in front of or in back of the hand.
I'm anxious to see what BB thinks of the little antler handled bowie when he gets it. It's definitely on the short side, plenty of birth but the texture and shape of the handle I think will work for even large hands. At least I hope so.

I do like the trend to thinner across the board. Lighter.....a win win. But I love em all, don't matter much.

I don't think I've ever experienced as much anxiety waiting for a package with a knife in it. I fell in love at first glance. In turn, it didn't call to me, it screamed.

Does anyone here know the real size of knife to skin an Eland or Big Canadian Moose? Not much. My Pumas and others did well before HI. Especially my Puma Waidblatt before discovery other wise. Could have done with less size, just makes it easier if you know what you're doing.

I thought your offer needed to be a current RL IBBB to be qualified, if not I understand. I presumed it was to enhance HI sales volume, my bad.

I thought your offer needed to be a current RL IBBB to be qualified, if not I understand. I presumed it was to enhance HI sales volume, my bad.

Who is this directed at? Me? Qualified for what? This is going over my head.

Nothing over your head big brother. I thought that your kind offer was for new short handlesd RL thin blade bowies only, my bad.if anyone misintrptred it was me and my fault.
My apologies
Sorry,
Jay

Last edited:
Bawanna, them little Bowies of yours are nice, no doubt about it, but don't you think you're going a little overboard since you done already sent me the Prince of Little Bowies some time ago? Ain't another like it in the world! Pug's custom Pants really sets it off as a complete outfit--it's the envy of all of Corn Patch and points West, I tell ya...all the way over to Pisgah! I'd take it on one of them A-laska cruises if I thought I might git attacked by a little Griz bear, but I'll let you check that situation out your next trip North. (Don't really think they is such a thing as a little Griz bear.) You want to send me that poor, little bity, and awful skinny bladed thing, I'd just lower my standards and a-dopt it so's you don't have to spend time customizing it. No, no. Don't thank me. It's just wunna them public services I do to help folks out, you know.

Does anyone here know the real size of knife to skin an Eland or Big Canadian Moose? Not much. My Pumas and others did well before HI. Especially my Puma Waidblatt before discovery other wise. Could have done with less size, just makes it easier if you know what you're doing.

The proverbial "size doesn't matter" fits here to. I know 3 old timer hunters who forgot long time ago how many mooses they prepped and skinned. They are passing their skills from generation to generations.
Two of them are using relatively small blades (3 to 5 inches) which all look like nothing. These guys wouldn't let go those ugly knives for all the money in the world. The other guy will do it with anything sharp and adapt his technique for whatever tool is available to him. So I don't think there are any standards. I personally choose to follow the mentoring of the short knives guys. A shorter blade is much safer for a noob like me. Not that I worry to cut my self with a longer blade, but helps me to prevent cutting/piercing things that I shouldn't.

I'm certainly no expert, I've hunted a lot, killed very little. Hunting is fun, processing is work.
In my experience (again far less than some, maybe even most) people tend to carry much too large a knife for game processing.

I carried a Buck 110? in my early years, not a huge knife but too large in my tiny little mind.

A big knife for camp or better yet a khukri but for game, a good textured comfortable handle and a blade in the 3 to 5 inch range is pretty adequate for most everything.

Now if your going after elephant or my personal # 1 desire Cape Buffalo, a large knife might be in order, perhaps a chain saw.

Although I think they have local experts to do the hard stuff when you hunt them big critters.

Just my opinions, hardly worth the cyber space they take up to write.

YCS Karda seems like a 'darn super best' skinning knife to me. (And one of those R series, right?)

Back