A month without GEC

btb01 btb01
You're in MN?

When I was driving truck, the TA in Rogers, MN. was one of my favorite places to park and reset my daily 14 hour (and when possible, my weekly 70 hour) drive time clock.

Yep, we moved to MN for my wife's job back in January. Rogers isn't too far from where we live, just about 20 miles north of us.

Good idea, routine can make us complacent and miss gems by neglect.

If you want candidates for alternatives to the GEC hamster wheel :D then look no further than Winchester Black Box. GEC fans, would be cultists....;) might get a shock to realize there were quality knives long before GEC :thumbsup: Not intending to knock GEC here, got some strong favourites but a change is as good as a rest, in this case it's the same:cool:

Looking forward to your future posts Barrett.

Regards, Will

rcbqPT4.jpg

Will, I probably shouldn't be considering new candidates to carry this month, since the idea is to carry knives I already own but have neglected to carry/use, but I must say that those Black Box Winchester's really appeal to me. I've seen them around, and they look like great knives and always seem to receive a lot of praise, but I've never actually owned one. I may have to look into that soon, and after this month they could certainly give me more opportunity to expand the selection of knives I carry.

Barrett, I understand your aim here. I have to admit that I've got too many knives :D but on the whole I like it like this:thumbsup: It does mean you neglect knives or even completely forget you have them :eek: If you get a chance, get hold of a BB Winchester, fine jigging for sure.

Thanks, Will

Good idea, routine can make us complacent and miss gems by neglect.

If you want candidates for alternatives to the GEC hamster wheel :D then look no further than Winchester Black Box. GEC fans, would be cultists....;) might get a shock to realize there were quality knives long before GEC :thumbsup: Not intending to knock GEC here, got some strong favourites but a change is as good as a rest, in this case it's the same:cool:

Looking forward to your future posts Barrett.

Regards, Will

rcbqPT4.jpg
Dang it Will!!!.... shhhhhhhhhhh..... keep it on the down low...

One solution (I haven't seen it here so far) is to carry multiple knives every day like I did today. I carried my new Boker Trapper in a belt sheath, a Case Sowbelly in my right front pocket, and a very, very, old SOG Stingray that the Kraton covers have worn away from by carrying it with keys and coins in my left front pocket..

jrsyy4S.jpg

wc9zvi7.jpg

WDIg327.jpg

I suppose by carrying three knives a day, I could almost carry all my knives within the period of one year.

Last edited:
Modoc, I’m sure that last knife is a faithful companion, but maybe it’s time to retire it and move on. I say this as a friend.

No offense taken. I'm proud of that knife. It's kind of like a worry stone sometimes. I've been carrying that SOG daily since 1990/1991 when they first came out but not to worry, I have two more like that that are brand new.

pG7O7Dd.jpg

They're really tough knives. The SOG Stingray was voted Best Import of the Year at the Blade Show in 1989/1990/1991 (anyway, one of those years.

Sorry about horning in on this tread, but i am not to skilled in the ways of the web. Anyhoo the five GECs in the photo above are all the GECs i have left as you can see i have modified the bottom three to suit me, the top two are recent acquisitions and i really dont know what i was thinking because as good as they both feel in the hand they are just over my limit for comfortable carrying, i can tell this because my chestnut bone cv peanut refuses to leave my watch pocket

Alright, for Day Five of my Month without GEC, I've switched from the Ebony Lambsfoot (which, of course, performed admirably during its brief tenure in my pocket) to this Maserin Plow.

nYUvkh3.jpg

I picked this one up a while back, when Mike at CK first released them, but this is my first time carrying it. The finishes are a little rough and the action a little sloppy, but Bocote wood and D2 steel for $30? How can you complain?! :D

bdomSKU.jpg

The thing that most impressed me about this knife was the factory edge. Whenever I get a new knife (or rather, whenever I'm ready to carry a new knife), I prefer to sharpen it, to put my own edge on it, before dropping it in my pocket for the first time. I couldn't justify it with this thing, though. The factory edge is incredibly sharp!

I'm looking forward to finally putting this thing to use!

A cool idea for a thread, Barrett.

I will admit, I almost avoided tuning in when I saw the title. No fault of yours, mind you, I just was expecting the regular discussions involving the merits (or lack thereof) of GEC and its all-exclusive fan club. Though my expectations were partially met, I am pleasantly surprised. Things have remained civil.

My collection is comprised of mostly GECs and Sheffield made knives so I guess I would be considered a cultist. I am not ashamed of it, that Kool-Aid is quite tasty after all. ;)

Regardless, I admire your fortitude in making this a reality. I do not think that I could do it. I am rather fond of GEC knives and am particularly partial to those that I have in my collection. Though I usually do have a Lambsfoot within easy reach at all times, I rotate my GEC carries almost daily.

Regardless, your thread has inspired me to look at my other knives and perhaps I will make more of an effort to work them in the rotation.

I love my GECs and probably would never make it a month without one making its way into my pocket, but there are options.

Case has been making pocket knives since 1889, to think that carrying one of their knives would result in failure to complete a cutting task most would be folly.

Variety is the spice of life and sometimes that’s what it’s all about. My family, for the majority has always favored Buck knives and I can’t help, but feel nastaglic carrying a Buck pocket knife.

I hope you enjoy your non Great Easterns for the month and I hope you enjoy your GECs when you get back to dropping one in your pocket!

Still carrying the Maserin Plow. I'll probably change it up again this weekend. I'm trying to spend at least a few days with each knife, while still leaving time to get in a good variety throughout the month.

At 4 1/8", the Plow is slightly larger than I would normally carry, and the bocote covers certainly aren't slim, but I haven't noticed it in my pocket, and it feels great in hand.

Prt7WSR.jpg

The bocote on your big Maserin sodbuster looks great, Barrett! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
(How's the Chabon book? I've read many of his works, and enjoyed most, but wasn't even aware of Moonglow.)

- GT

It has been fun following along with this thread. Especially like the variety of knives and crayon sharpening!

And I realized that so far I am bringing balance to the universe by carrying a GEC every day this month.

The bocote on your big Maserin sodbuster looks great, Barrett! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
(How's the Chabon book? I've read many of his works, and enjoyed most, but wasn't even aware of Moonglow.)

- GT

Thanks, GT. This is my first bocote knife, and I really like it.

The book is good so far, though I’m less than 100 pages in. It’s his newest, been out maybe a year, I think? (I’m usually a bit behind on new books from authors I like because I prefer paperbacks to hard covers, so unless it’s something I’m really excited about, I just wait.)

Thanks for the mini-review of the book, Barrett. :cool::thumbsup:
I'm not very good at keeping up with new books being released, either. I usually go to our neighborhood branch of the public library every other Saturday and scan through their "new books" display. But it's a tiny branch, and I have no clue about how they decide what books to acquire, so it's pretty hit and miss. I almost never purchase "recreational reading" books anymore, but just check them out of the library. I do happen to have a paperback copy of Chabon's Summerland, because it's somewhat baseball related, and I once was trying to build a collection of baseball fiction (along with a bunch of baseball nonfiction related to what's now called "analytics" but was called "sabermetrics" when I first got interested).

- GT

Back