A month without GEC

This morning I swapped out the Maserin sodbuster for this Issard pen knife.

5MLu6E0.jpg

lpZg0SM.jpg

One of the factors that inspired this little experiment was the realization that I have several knives that I've received as gifts from friends here on the Porch that I've never (or rarely) carried. This is one of those knives. Jolipapa Jolipapa sent me this knife along with a 1st birthday gift (a Stade Français rugby shirt) for my daughter, Eleanor, last summer.

This Issard is a fantastic little knife. It's incredibly slim, and just the right length (in my opinion) at around 3 3/4" closed. Both blades are super-thin behind the edge. The factory edge on the main blade was a bit rough near the tip, but it sharpened up easily and now it cuts like a laser! :cool: I'm looking forward to using this one this week. (To be honest, I don't even know if the steel on this knife is stainless or not; maybe I'll give it some food tasks to find out.) :D

Here are a couple photos from last year of Eleanor wearing her Stade Français shirt. Thanks again, Jolipapa! :thumbsup:

QtYDgzi.jpg

pEUfnXK.jpg

You're welcome Barrett!
Steel is X75 (sounds like a secret plane) carbon blade, dating 50s-60s. Was replaced by stainless (stamp Véritable Issarinox). Recently they re-discovered these blades and assembled "new" knives with old parts. Kind of NOS.

This morning I swapped out the Maserin sodbuster for this Issard pen knife.

5MLu6E0.jpg

lpZg0SM.jpg

One of the factors that inspired this little experiment was the realization that I have several knives that I've received as gifts from friends here on the Porch that I've never (or rarely) carried. This is one of those knives. Jolipapa Jolipapa sent me this knife along with a 1st birthday gift (a Stade Français rugby shirt) for my daughter, Eleanor, last summer.

This Issard is a fantastic little knife. It's incredibly slim, and just the right length (in my opinion) at around 3 3/4" closed. Both blades are super-thin behind the edge. The factory edge on the main blade was a bit rough near the tip, but it sharpened up easily and now it cuts like a laser! :cool: I'm looking forward to using this one this week. (To be honest, I don't even know if the steel on this knife is stainless or not; maybe I'll give it some food tasks to find out.) :D

Here are a couple photos from last year of Eleanor wearing her Stade Français shirt. Thanks again, Jolipapa! :thumbsup:

QtYDgzi.jpg

pEUfnXK.jpg
I like the knife, it checks all the boxes for me. Don’t know what it is about small tastefull bails but I enjoy them. The name suits the child, beautiful!!

Still carrying the Issard. It's an impressive little slicer, and I've used it quite a bit this week. (I say "little" -- it's actually a good sized knife, but it is quite slim and disappears in your pocket!) The mild patina is thanks to some strawberries I sliced for my daughter yesterday.

ZBGXqCs.jpg

Man... I need to get me one of those What-A-Knife. I didn't realize they were 3" closed. Good on you for holding out, Barrett, especially considering you're still purchasing GECs!

btb01 btb01 you know Barrett this thread has made me re-evaluate my desires for GEC knives and truth is I change up my daily carry very often and more often than not it is a brand other than GEC. Awhile back I won a GAW that @glennbad supplied one of the prizes. In typical Glennbad fashion he included an old Schrade Senator he had modified with Mammoth Ivory covers. Regardless of what else may be in my pocket that little knife almost always finds it's way into my pocket too. I also remembered I had carried pocket knives for over forty years in 2006 when GEC cranked up which tells me there are many different brands and knives out there that you can carry with confidence and pride. Don't get me wrong GEC makes some fine knives and I have a few I love but I also think that I and a lot of other folks that hangout on knife forums and attend every knife show we can are very much influenced by other knife enthusiast and this has been one thing along with being USA made quality knives that has fueled the GEC frenzy.

MY SENATOR
lRYMNAh.jpg

After a couple days with the What-A-Knife, I swapped it out for this Schrade USA Improved Muskrat. I actually carried this one most of this past week, but it rained a lot and I take most of my knife photos outside, so I never got around to taking a photo of it until today.

XoAl407.jpg

(You'll have to forgive all the pocket lint. I didn't realize it was there until looking at the photo on my computer just now.)

I've picked up a few USA-made Schrade pocket knives over the last few years, and I've been fairly impressed with them for the most part. The blades on this one, in addition to being long and slender, are also nice and thin, making it a great slicer. (I've never entirely understood the appeal of the muskrat pattern, with its two identical full-size clip point blades -- I'd normally prefer some variation in a two-blade knife -- but I like this one nonetheless.)

I've not carried a GEC ever; probably never will. Vic Tinker, Kershaw Oso-Sweet and Link serve all my needs. No need for expensive "cult" knives.
Rich
I have only one GEC but don't carry it either. But GEC is no more cultists than any other brands. I know men who only collect and carry Buck or only Case or only Schrade. I wouldn't call them cultists either. Or is it only expensive cultists knives you have no need for?

After a couple days with the What-A-Knife, I swapped it out for this Schrade USA Improved Muskrat. I actually carried this one most of this past week, but it rained a lot and I take most of my knife photos outside, so I never got around to taking a photo of it until today.

XoAl407.jpg

(You'll have to forgive all the pocket lint. I didn't realize it was there until looking at the photo on my computer just now.)

I've picked up a few USA-made Schrade pocket knives over the last few years, and I've been fairly impressed with them for the most part. The blades on this one, in addition to being long and slender, are also nice and thin, making it a great slicer. (I've never entirely understood the appeal of the muskrat pattern, with its two identical full-size clip point blades -- I'd normally prefer some variation in a two-blade knife -- but I like this one nonetheless.)
That's a nice Old Timer, Barrett! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I used to think the way you do about muskrats, but somehow my attitude changed when I used one for a week. Now I like them (and almost all other patterns with a blade at each end) quite a lot. ;)

Why is yours called an Improved Muskrat? I have a Rough Rider pattern with that name, and one of the clip blades is replaced by a sheepsfoot. But your OT looks to still have 2 clips??

- GT

That's a nice Old Timer, Barrett! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I used to think the way you do about muskrats, but somehow my attitude changed when I used one for a week. Now I like them (and almost all other patterns with a blade at each end) quite a lot. ;)

Why is yours called an Improved Muskrat? I have a Rough Rider pattern with that name, and one of the clip blades is replaced by a sheepsfoot. But your OT looks to still have 2 clips??

- GT

GT, I have no idea what makes an improved muskrat different than a regular muskrat. I thought I’d seen some before that had a different secondary blade (like a full-size wharncliffe) that were called “improved muskrats,” but I don’t know why that name would be applied to a muskrat with two slim clip point blades, which I believe is the standard muskrat configuration. Maybe someone with a better knowledge of the history of the pattern can provide an answer.

I have been carrying the Schrade 8OT (USA) for many years. Pretty much does everything I need. Recently I changed to a 61OT (USA). A bit easier on the pocket. I swear by these knives. The carbon steel is great, hold an edge, and is easily honed. I always keep a few extras around for the future. That said, I only collect GEC's. Like some others on here, I have never used a GEC. I just keep adding to the collection. I soon have to sell off many old Parkers, Queen made knives, vintage Frost, and many others. I'm hooked on GEC. I just hope they keep production numbers low so the value doesn't crash.

I have been carrying the Schrade 8OT (USA) for many years. Pretty much does everything I need. Recently I changed to a 61OT (USA). A bit easier on the pocket. I swear by these knives. The carbon steel is great, hold an edge, and is easily honed. I always keep a few extras around for the future. That said, I only collect GEC's. Like some others on here, I have never used a GEC. I just keep adding to the collection. I soon have to sell off many old Parkers, Queen made knives, vintage Frost, and many others. I'm hooked on GEC. I just hope they keep production numbers low so the value doesn't crash.
If you're collecting as an investment I can offer much better advice.

GT, I have no idea what makes an improved muskrat different than a regular muskrat. I thought I’d seen some before that had a different secondary blade (like a full-size wharncliffe) that were called “improved muskrats,” but I don’t know why that name would be applied to a muskrat with two slim clip point blades, which I believe is the standard muskrat configuration. Maybe someone with a better knowledge of the history of the pattern can provide an answer.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/what-constitutes-an-improved-muskrat.1019596/

If you're collecting as an investment I can offer much better advice.
Alan, I agree but hard to argue buying a knife for $180.00 and within two weeks time clearing $430.00:eek::eek::eek: Now, none of the flipping appeals to me but them's actual numbers in one case;) didn't mean to go off track there so we can talk further via pm.

Keep fightin the good fight Barrett:thumbsup:

Barrett that lint is just proof of carry. :D:D
I've never been drawn to a Muskrat either but I really like the USA Schrade knives in general and the biggest reason is that their blade shapes and thickness make them excellent slicers.
I've enjoyed this thread a lot. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back