1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

A revelation in cheap sheath material!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by FortyTwoBlades, Sep 21, 2018.

1. ohen cepel

ohen cepel Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Can also recycle your own milk jugs, etc along with any scraps into blocks to mill for other things. I have made blocks of it myself. youtube vids out there on how to do it.

Really liking your sheath idea!

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Not really feasible. There are special adhesives made for it, but they require a lot of prep work. HDPE is a popular choice for clue bottles because so few adhesives will adhere to it. The rivets are cheap, and glue would just complicate the whole process, by a large margin. :)

jbmonkey likes this.
  3. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Thanks! It's important to note that HDPE recycled from milk jugs isn't UV stabilized, and will degrade with long exposure to the sun. Black grades of it are stabilized and won't degrade.

jbmonkey likes this.
  4. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Neat. I could sure use a tutorial, since I know nothing how to make a sheath. I have this machete..................

5. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    It's mostly a matter of making sure you have enough of a border for the thickness you're covering and thinking about the travel of the blade while drawing. You can make your initial cuts out of cardboard and clamping the edges with binder clips to assess the shape. :)

6. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Does that mean the oceans will be filled with this stuff 50 years from now from all the knife sheaths? ;)

7. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Please dispose of worn-out sheaths responsibly! :D In all seriousness, I've been putting the scraps from these projects in an old milk jug for recycling when full. :)

SpySmasher, jbmonkey and hexenjager like this.
  8. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
  9. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Idk. Cool knife.

10. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:) Made my very first non-cardboard sheath ! Empty laundry detergent bottle made of HDPE , 3 rivets , some silicone self fusing tape . Hair dryer .

It actually works just fine and the Spyderco Warrior even tends to be retained in sheath because of the bent inward lips catch the knife guard . Passes the shake test . But is somewhat loose in the sheath . I didn't try to form it around the knife .

This is pretty thin gauge HDPE , but seemed not too much less tough than belt leather to cut .

Probably not treated for UV . OK for a fun experiment on a rainy day . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

11. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    Sewing: add liner (middle piece like in leather sheaths) to avoid cutting the stitching? I would probably need something very stiffy and strong for it to hold and not to get loose but it could be interesing to experiment.

12. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    I'll be experimenting with saddle stitching it when I get the chance, but it may be a little while. A welt really doesn't seem particularly necessary with this stuff. It's sort of like how kydex doesn't need it. It's very "slippery" to a knife edge, so while it scuffs easily, it doesn't cut easily at all. Edges want to glide right off it.

A.L. likes this.
  13. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    This looks like a great DIY technique to make durable, inexpensive sheaths. The aesthetic aspect will be lacking, but that’s OK because whoever needs visually stunning aesthetics can still make or buy custom hand-tooled leather sheaths. I just started playing with this idea, but this stuff could also be used to make a kind of open-topped “pocket protector” (styled after the concept of the decades-old shirt pocket protector that nerds used to carry their multiple pens in) for those who have gotten tired of having pants pockets shredded by the pointy angles and protrusions on some EDC folders. We may be at the dawn of the era of the Revenge of the Knife-Carrying Nerds.

DocJD and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  14. TheDandyLion

TheDandyLion

Mar 27, 2013
    I love the look of these sheathes (in a utilitarian sense, that is) and already have the HDPE required to make some. I'm curious though, what rivets are you using and where would you recommend buying them?

FortyTwoBlades and DocJD like this.
  15. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Look up "double cap compression rivets" and you'll find 'em. Also known as "speedy rivets", "easy rivets" or "snap rivets". They also come in single cap versions with a flat back. Look around in the usual channels and you can find 'em in various sizes, including kits that have punches and dies, for under $0.10 apiece. You can also find hollow/tubular rivets (which have a hollow end that's flared outward with a hand-struck setting tool) for similar prices.

DocJD likes this.
  16. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Nothing that can’t be fixed with a wipe down of 303 protectant a couple times a year.

17. Wanimator

Wanimator

Mar 7, 2014
    This could be a good potential for working man's sheaths like for Leatherman tools.

DocJD and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  18. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Made this one today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    As an update, it seems to respond well to saddle stitching.

[​IMG]

GermanyChris, DocJD, 19-3ben and 2 others like this.
  20. G. Scott H.

G. Scott H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Nice. :thumbsup: Did you use the leather punch to make the holes or a drill?