A story of a bad Whippersnapper and awesome customer care

[UPDATE]: TL;DR, sent an email with these photos to Lamnia, they’ve forwarded it to Olamic. Olamic got in contact with me within a day and offered to build a new knife, with some spec changes for free the next week. Now awaiting shipping label from Lamnia. Both Lamnia and Olamic were super quick and nice about it.

If this is not the right place for this, please move it to wherever it needs to be. Since the Olamic subforum is closed, and there is no specific subforum for "tell me if this is okay and i'm just crazy", posting it in GKD.

Ordered an Olamic WhipperSnapper from an authorized dealer (Lamnia, Finland) and it arrived today. Since i've never had anything from OC before, no idea which of these things is normal for them, and which might be an actual issue, so wanted some input from the smart BC people before i continue obsessing over it...

First off, case was a little weird - sticker on top of a sticker and a weird "10" next to it. I'm guessing those are from the dealer. Not sure what to think of the two product code stickers... Might be completely innocuous:

Iji8g6w.jpg

Second, and my only big / non-OCD complaint, the blade is scuffed on the lockbar side:

Q87Y55E.jpg

I've checked and it doesn't rub against anything when closed, although the action is pretty gritty in general (grittier than anything of the same or similar price in my possession, and about as gritty as CRKT's bearings). The scuff is only visible at certain angles. If i forget it's there, i can live with it, but when the light catches it, it annoys me.

From here on, we're in the OCD zone. Lockbar relief has weird scratches in it, no idea what's going on there and whether this is some kind of an intentional "distressed" finish or what:

6tpG7ce.jpg

The finishing on the front bevel looks like crap:

RWMasjH.jpg

JwIrkYu.jpg

ep6R7Uv.jpg

On its own, it probably would've been fine, but next to the polish on the jimping and the (really good) satin on the scale faces, it sticks out.

One half of the Timascus inlay has what appears to be a weird gap:

Q6ytgeM.png

And then we move onto the weird category...
There's what appears to be a weird oxidation/pitting inside the thumb hole:

bARaEvy.jpg

Haven't touched it yet because i wanted to document it first. Might just be some kind of residue too.

There's also a weird black powdery residue on the blade tang, next to the lock face:

LTzqKay.jpg

Again, haven't tried to rub it off yet (before documenting).

That's about it.
So... My questions are:
  1. which of these are normal level of fit & finish for an Olamic, and which would you consider out of spec?
  2. would you consider that blade scuff to be tolerable if not always visible?
  3. what's with the black residue?
  4. any theories on the stickers?
  5. am i being a ninny?

Last edited:
That all looks used.

Those stickers are normally used for QC checks to know who built/packed/etc. the thing. Can't say what it references in your case.

But to recap all those little imperfections look like they came from use or carry. What was the dealer and was the price a lot lower than normal?

IMO - that's a used knife. I have never had a Olamic knife so can't make specific comments related to the brand, but not what I would expect.

Dealer was lamnia.com, and the price was normal (for Europe, at least).

For what it's worth, the rest of the finish does not look like it was used - i'd expect visible scuffs running perpendicular (or at least oblique) to the satin finish, which usually shows up really easy. There aren't any. The blade looks completely untouched and unused too, apart from the scuff.
Should i tear it down and check the bearings?

I'm now thinking the black residue on the blade might be from the foam inside the case falling apart.
There might be some inside the bearings as well.

I would send it to Olamic. The owner of the company is a great guy to deal with. He will make it right. I can't remember his name. The 24/7 line of knives that he makes have all been great. I own one now and it is not getting sold.

I get black residue on my knives in that area of the blade when I use them

Since the issues are probably going to keep bothering you, before disassembly you should contact the seller and see if they will send a replacement. I wouldn’t be bothered by some of those fit/finish issues but the inlay gap and scuff would bug me - especially for an expensive knife.

Also, the sticker says wharncliffe and I don't think you have a wharncliffe blade o_O

Send it back to Eugene at Olamic. They have a great CS or so what i heard

Since the issues are probably going to keep bothering you, before disassembly you should contact the seller and see if they will send a replacement.

+1 to this. With a reputable US dealer this would be the easiest option; not sure it applies to Lamnia as I've never purchased a knife from them.

And IMO, although I've never owned an Olamic, any number of the issues you highlighted would bother me in a knife in that price range.

I've owned 3 Olamics. Two I purchased new, and one was second hand.
- Never had stickers on the outside of the case. I'd say Lemania added those
- None have had the issues you have noted. I'd contact Olamic. For what you spent you are definitely NOT being too picky
- I did have some gritty feeling action on my Whippersnapper. A drop of lube on the detent took care of it.

Good luck to you.

I don't understand all the suggestions on contacting the manufacturer. You bought a new knife from a dealer who shipped you a used one. Shouldn't the dealer be whom the OP contacts? If the knife was shipped to the dealer that way, it is the dealer's obligation to contact the maker.

I wouldn't be happy receiving a new knife in that condition. Send it back to the dealer for a refund or a replacement.

I only have one Olamic - it had none of these issues.

I agree with sharp_edge sharp_edge . Once the knife is made, it is probably shipped to a distributor, then sold. So layers of responsibility have been added or moved. Once you get a knife, the manufacturer in some cases can be pretty distant from the actual sale.

I bought a knife from A.G. Russell a few years ago that had just about everything wrong with it. It was a slip joint that ground hard when I opened it, had a big, shiny buff mark on the blade where someone tried to hide an overground area and it had a crack in the bone handle.

Called AGR, told them what the problem was and after I sent them a pic, they sent me a new knife along with a return envelope. The same has happened with two other vendors that are on the BF approved list. Fast service to fix a real problem.

I also agree you received a used knife. Some of the wear areas look like they would be called "light pocket carry wear" in the Exchange here on BF. I doubt the manufacturer of $600 knife would let it leave the factory like that.

I don't think you are being too picky at all. I wouldn't hesitate to send that knife back to the vendor. Looks like it is one they took back and no one actually opened the box when it was returned. #10 put his sticker on it to let the boss know it was checked when it came in and was ready for resale. On the shelf it went, and out to you. Now the vendor can look at it (seeing your pics or have you ship it back to be left at their discretion) and tell you they don't take back used knives. #10 will shrug his shoulders, declare the knife HE inspected on return was perfect, then go get a cup of coffee. His job is done.

Send it back now. Every day that passes will cause doubt to the vendor that will think you put the wear on the knife.

Ribert

This knife looks used. I have one Olamic that I got from BladeHQ and it was perfect.

If you’re within your return window, send it back to Lamnia for exchange or refund. Only send it to Olamic if the dealer can’t/won’t help you.

There's lint in the pivot too. It's either used or looks used and you should return it.

Eugene and Ilya are top notch and really want their customers to be happy with their purchases. I have 5 Oli's currently, all but 1 direct from Olamic. The one I purchased on the secondary market I sent back for re-anno, pivot collars, torx pivot, a new back-spacer and had them build me a Rainmaker to match it. I also had a matching 247 and Swish put together, the 247 had some lock-rock, sent it back on on their dime, within a week it was back working great. The 247 I had re-done I wasn't 100% happy with, again sent back w/RMA, it's there currently and I'm confident it will be what I expected when it comes back.

Olamic is busy right now and are a little short handed, things may take a day or 2 longer than 'normal' but even so they are very prompt relative to other manufacturers.

Since your overseas I would approach the dealer with your issues and see if they can find you one that will make you happy. If that course of action fails definitely let the Solomoniks know. You deserve to be happy with your purchase.

You are NOT the first purchaser of that knife.
We see knives that look like that listed as "Carried but not used" on the Exchange.
It may not have ever cut anything, but I'm willing to bet it's spent time in someones pocket AND has been used as a fidget toy. Those scratches at the top are a dead giveaway. The only thing that looks like it may be a manufacturing issue is the inlay.

I would call the seller immediately and let them know. Then back it goes for an exchange or refund.
Unless they offer a partial refund.

Back