A story of a bad Whippersnapper and awesome customer care

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Ante Vukorepa, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Ante Vukorepa

Ante Vukorepa Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Got a reply from Lamnia:

2. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    Glad to see at least Lamnia has responded, hope they would get this resolved in a reasonable manner and time frame.

3. Undefeatable

Undefeatable Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Thanks for the follow up. I am interested in how this will be resolved. Theres just too many things on it that make it hard for me to believe it was brand new when you got it.

4. Ante Vukorepa

Aug 28, 2020
    Got an email from Ilya!

Lamnia forwarded my message to them, as they said they would.
    Things are getting taken care of by Olamic, with shipping going through Lamnia.
    I should be getting a return label from Lamnia some time soon.

I asked Ilya if i can post his message here, as i think people should see the customer care they put out, even for people who are overseas, but i'm not posting anything until i get that permission.

mdeous, CyberRacer, Eversion and 5 others like this.
  5. NorthernSouthpaw

NorthernSouthpaw Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    I'd be willing to bet Olamic is really taking care of the whole thing.

6. Ante Vukorepa

Aug 28, 2020
    They are.
    That's what i said (or i think i did, it's late and i'm on my third beer :) )

The return and the new knife will be shipped through Lamnia.
    Everything else is handled by Olamic.

Which is awesome, because it means I don't get the hassle of dealing with customs!

Quiet, Mistman68 and Jdottinger like this.
  7. Terry M.

Terry M. Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Good to see this. Olamic is a great company. Really like their knives.

Mistman68 and Smiling like this.
  8. Mister_Punchy

Mister_Punchy

Jul 8, 2020
    Very good news. To be really honest, I can't help but think that the issue may have been different if OP didn't went through Bladeforums...

Alsharif likes this.
  9. Chefget

Chefget Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 1998
    Nope, Eugene is one of the best. IMG_20200925_085443.jpg When I ordered a custom made knife from him he actually personally shopped for the scale material and made the knife. Really great knife!

Best knife 'manufacturer' I've ever worked with.

evltcat, Quiet, Smiling and 1 other person like this.
  10. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Gold Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Glad to see they're going to make it right!

Navajil likes this.
  11. Ante Vukorepa

Aug 28, 2020
    Update:

Had an email chat with Ilya, he doesn't want me to copy/paste the emails (too self conscious about his writing), but is totally fine with me updating in my own words.

Long story short - i'm sending the old knife back for an autopsy, and Olamic will be making a new knife for me at the same time, in the next week's batch. Ilya was also kind enough to let me do some changes to the configuration at no extra charge. I offered to pay for any differences in the config / work required, but he refused and said it was in the price already paid.

He also advised me to change the finish and offered some other very useful durability advice, since i've mentioned i plan on carrying it as an EDC, not keeping it strictly as a shelf queen. After some back and forth, i've settled on a light blast finish, some changes to the pivot hardware (no ano on the pivot itself, only the collar), and a slight change to the inlay.

I offered Ilya a beer or two or something harder if he ever comes to my neck of the woods, and that's about it :)

Now waiting for Lamnia's shipping label.

mdeous, evltcat, ArchVV and 8 others like this.
  12. Mistman68

Mistman68 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2019
    That's pretty awesome and in line with my experience w/Ilya.

I agree about not anno'ing the pivot, I had that done on a Rainmaker and it's the 1st place that starts to look 'used'. Anno'd pivot collars look nice, I have them on 3 of my builds. I personally don't like snake eye screws/tools so have torx pivots on all of my Olamics.

Follow up with some pics of the new knife!

Quiet and Ante Vukorepa like this.
  13. CyberRacer

CyberRacer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Love a happy ending!

14. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    I've never heard anything bad about Lamnia. I'm glad to hear they support their customers.

15. Ante Vukorepa

Aug 28, 2020
    Not blaming this on anyone.
    Shit happens.

The important part is - both Lamnia and Olamic jumped at the chance to fix it and were super responsive and nice.

16. Terry M.

Terry M. Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 5, 2006
    now this is how customer service is done. Will definitely buy from Olamic again.

Quiet and MayHemAndHaw like this.
  17. scottyj

scottyj

Jan 29, 2009
    Used knife. Ray Charles can see that. Contact seller about issues. Good luck. :thumbsup:

18. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I frankly would have been surprised at anything less from Olamic. They really are great at taking care of what they see as still their knives out in there.

Quiet likes this.
  19. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    It looks like a slightly used knife to me. If you paid for a new knife, I would definitely get in touch with the dealer.

20. kylemiller

kylemiller Basic Member Basic Member

May 18, 2016
    You could hold the Kentucky Derby in that gap between that timascus and the scale and still have room left for 2 college football games. Yikes. I'd return it.