A timber for hewing

I know this is an old thread, however all these threads are awesome especially this one. There is a new product I have seen out there that would help skid out your logs. Honda powered capstan rope winch. Portable winch makes them, available at Northern Tool for $1500 spendy but will do the job with a skidding cone attached, and a series of blocks (pulleys) that log no problem. Should be showing up used by now for half the price or better.

Thanks.

I'd like to have a griphoist. Even a Maasdam puller would be nice. I just need to go get one.

tirfor griphoists are real awesome too, I move a lot of boulders on our claim with one of those. They have a slow speed though, 15' will wear you out. Since cruising this thread I can't wait to get back to claim and metal detect for axe heads in the old campsites. Be nice to find an anvil as well. On our first ever trip there we found and old long tooth saw and left it lying there on top of the forest duff thinking it was worthless, I was only interested in nuggets (foolish). I would love a suggestion for a broad axe for hewing, I have been looking on an auction site and there are many available but likely just under half price of what a brand new Swedish one would run. Way out of my budget at the moment though. I am ordering a load of short Doug Fir logs -16ft for firewood and am going to try hewing a beam out of a couple for my smithie as well. My PW anvil gets dew on it overnight even under cover. Sorry this post is all over the place. I guess that if I could get just one piece of advice from all my rambling above it would be how to protect that anvil? Thanks for your time, I'm in no way trying to derail thread. Best to you.

My PW anvil gets dew on it overnight even under cover. Sorry this post is all over the place. I guess that if I could get just one piece of advice from all my rambling above it would be how to protect that anvil?

Just spray it with WD-40 or Boeshield (long storage) and toss a BBQ cover over it. You might need to cap the horn so it doesn't poke thru. If you get high winds you'll want to secure the cover somehow. I put my anvil and stand up on a concrete paving stone to protect the wood from little critters in the soil.

Happy hunting out there for whichever metals you choose to look for. And bring that saw in!!!!!!

On a side note, the paving stone thing reminded me, I also keep my splitting block set up on 3 bricks to keep the bottom from rotting out. And I toss a piece of sheet metal over the top to keep the rain off. It works! A good splitting block deserves protection.

Back