A very quick and close look at 'steeling'

I'm not quite sure why we magnetized our hand made steels. It seemed back then that most steels you could buy were magnetized. It might have allowed us to use less pressure when steeling. For what it's worth, I have one of the steels I made in the kitchen drawer now and use it from time to time to improve the cutting ability of our kitchen knives. This steel was made around 1975 or so.

My hat is off to you ^ as I know you guys Really work in those places and under harsh conditions. Did you use a edge leading stroke or edge trailing when steeling? I like the shape of a Russell 6" boning knife. I would say the hardness of that knife is like 55-56 rc. DM

We all used a edge leading stroke when steeling, and the lighter the better.
I really enjoyed doing that work. It was fairly easy for me because I was able to keep my knives very sharp. The guys and gals that couldn't really suffered. Everything was production oriented and if you were too slow, you were let go.

Yep, they were all timed. Many have carpal tunnel now. Directly related to using a dull knife. Or over using their knife.
I do edge a trailing stroke on a pocket stone. It folds the burr back in place. This can get you thru your shift. Thanks, DM

Back