A very quick and close look at 'steeling'

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by HeavyHanded, May 18, 2012.

1. jmcf1949

jmcf1949

Dec 10, 2008
    I'm not quite sure why we magnetized our hand made steels. It seemed back then that most steels you could buy were magnetized. It might have allowed us to use less pressure when steeling. For what it's worth, I have one of the steels I made in the kitchen drawer now and use it from time to time to improve the cutting ability of our kitchen knives. This steel was made around 1975 or so.

Mr.Wizard likes this.
  2. jmcf1949

jmcf1949

Dec 10, 2008
    We all used a edge leading stroke when steeling, and the lighter the better.
    I really enjoyed doing that work. It was fairly easy for me because I was able to keep my knives very sharp. The guys and gals that couldn't really suffered. Everything was production oriented and if you were too slow, you were let go.

3. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Yep, they were all timed. Many have carpal tunnel now. Directly related to using a dull knife. Or over using their knife.
    I do edge a trailing stroke on a pocket stone. It folds the burr back in place. This can get you thru your shift. Thanks, DM

4. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    A used valve stem makes great steel. Check your local machine shop.