Addicted to Knives...?

Hehehe.. Nice analogy, Mr Mike!
biggrin.gif

That may be the reason why I'm still "free". I always end up spending my "date money" on knives, and give the girls the "shoulder shrug" and an innocent look as an excuse! hahaha..
smile.gif

James, emoticons (or smileys) are simple to create. For example, to create a smiling face, all you have to do is type the colon character ":" plus the closing parenthesis character ")", then you end up with a smiley!
smile.gif
<--- see? <grin> Other combinations will give you other emoticons.
smile.gif

Best regards,

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dannyc (edited 23 February 1999).]

Memnoch,
Just wait until you move up to Chris Reeve(crystal meth)

Mr. Mike,
Don't forget that knives like women will do some serious damage to you if you mistreat them.
Women are also like knives or knife parts(titanium more specifically) in that they have great memories. For example:
wife: Honey do you remember what today is?
unfortunate male: Uh? Is it your birthday?
wife: No dimwit. Today is the three year anniversary of the first time we ate pancakes at IHOP.

All in fun girls, I love my wife, I am just amazed at her ability to remember everything(esp the bad stuff). What's with that?
Just my 0.02

------------------
Norwegian Misfit

"For the word of GOD is quick and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword...." Hebrews 4:12

Memnoch,
Just wait until you move up to Chris Reeve(crystal meth)

Mr. Mike,
Don't forget that knives like women will do some serious damage to you if you mistreat them.
redface.gif

Women are also like knives or knife parts(titanium more specifically) in that they have great memories. For example:
wife: Honey do you remember what today is?
unfortunate male: Uh? Is it your birthday?
wife: No dimwit. Today is the three year anniversary of the first time we ate pancakes at IHOP.

All in fun girls, I love my wife, I am just amazed at her ability to remember everything(esp the bad stuff). What's with that?
Just my 0.02

------------------
Norwegian Misfit

"For the word of GOD is quick and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword...." Hebrews 4:12

Me? Addicted? No. I can quit any time I want. In fact, I've quit dozens of times.

(With thanks and apologies to Mark Twain.)

Actually, I'm not so much addicted to buying knives as I am to reading these darned forums.

David Rock

James,

“I feel your pain” (quote by some scumdog in the oval office)

The bug bit me about fifteen years ago. To feed my habit while I was in college I got a job at the knife shop in my local mall… cool. Talk about a kid a candy store, and the employee discounts weren’t bad either, really grew my collection.

I may not be buying more knives now, just more expensive. And more knives are something my wife cannot comprehend. Honestly I can’t give her a good reason either.
My God I do need help!

Take care,
Tom

Wow...my bug must be bad. I got my tax check from the feds and immediately I thought: "Neat...I should probably buy a Sebenza and get my first auto!"

But I don't have a problem, and if I did, I could stop any time I wanted.

Yeah, right.
-Dan

I can dimly remeber the early days of my life when a single Boy Scout pocket knife was sufficient for whittling and camp needs. Then on a cold January day in the early 80's, at the Great Western Stock Show in Denver, I was innocently walking among the vendor's booths. I caught the flash of a blade. Not a swithblade, but it opened one-handed! I was stunned. An epiphany even. I bought my first Spyderco on the spot (Was that you Sal?) Been a Knife Knut...oops, I mean addict ever since. The shame of it all.
Our twelve step program does mean the sequence of steps to clean, oil, and sharpen the objects of our affliction, right?

[This message has been edited by christopher (edited 25 February 1999).]

I know what you guys(and gals) go through.
Imagine this: someone gives you a box at work, you open box with spyderco military, you look in box. What would you do with 50 of spyderco enduras? Kill everone who saw you take them? Hide them and say someone stole them? I got a headache engraving my work's name and serializing them so no body(me) takes one. I can't buy much without selling one, or using what I earn as a shrapening service to buy one(or two or three). I'd take that part-time job at the knife shop if it was closer.
knifejunkie-
PR

No problem, James.
smile.gif

Now, if only someone would come up with a knife smiley.. hehehe...

Thank God for Bladeforums!
smile.gif
My knowledge AND love for knives haven't been the same since.
smile.gif

Dan

My name's Titan and I'm a knifaholic... and I don't intend to get rehabilitated!

[This message has been edited by Titan (edited 26 February 1999).]

Bill, you take the crown, at least, after Doc Welch anyway. I think we actually need about a thousand crowns for this bunch.
Ah well, I could be in worse company, after all, I coulda come back as a politician!!!!
gasp...

This was a good thread to find. I was feeling guilty whenever my wife walked by my office and I happened to looking at knives -- AGAIN! (She thinks I'm addicted.) Okay, so I close my eyes and the first thing I see is 1095 or ATS 34 or a sharp tool of some sort.

My kids' standard question when I'm on line: Are you looking at knives? (They are now bugging me for new ones.)

Glad I'm not alone.

I've been feeling guilty about spending $85 on a knife this month, and my last knife was an antique schrade hunter I got for $10 at an antique store! I guess I'm just cheap . . .
But if it helps, I feel much better now. If Microtech is cocaine, I must be the kid that snuck a cigarette behind the shed once.

Well guys, whenever I have these types of feelings, I grab my little mirror and repeat after Mr. Stewart Smalley: "I'm good enough, I'm special, and people like me!"

Knives and Women:

Sure they have nice curves that have to be handled (with permission, of course
wink.gif
). And yes, they do have memory
frown.gif
. But also keep in mind that if you don't treat them right the'll mistreat you (couch/band-aid):O.

HAHAHA,
Tony

Damn! That last emoticon didn't work. How do you do the startled face??

Tony

OK.. the first step to curing any addiction is to admit WE have problems,obbsessions,or WALT are they fetishes? Well we have admitted it!! Lets remember these are materialistic cravings for objects almost as old as man. They do have a historical backdrop,and are quite useful in daily life!!
biggrin.gif
The problem I have is not so much the money spent, but more the inability to actually use all these! I do fondle them and play with them from time to time. But,even that is neglected lately.. And my other big problem is my collection of guitars. This does however take precedent. I do find my additions to be fairly organic,(wood and steel)however my wife and children do not see these addictions as normal! But they bring me so much pleasure
biggrin.gif
If I were stranded on an island with only my guitar and knife/knives??I am sure I could live fairly happy ever after..Well maybe?? I guess there are much worse additions. I could be addicted to making money!
biggrin.gif

Enjoy life its over before ya know it..and if your good,just maybe, there will be knives in the next!!
biggrin.gif

Oh yea.. be sure to teach your children all you know!!(About knives and such)
Bart

I'd be interested in hearing one or several of the intinerant shrinks on this board discuss the subtle differences between addictive behavior, obsessive compulsive behavior and simple enthusiastic interest as it pertains to the knife hobbies. Here's my breakdown of those:

The Knife Addict:--- "Oh man, a new knife has come out, I gotta have it. "

The Obsessive Compulsive:-- "I buy only the finest knives and keep them immaculately immaculate."

The Enthusiast:-- "You know, this knife was fairly good, but it would be even better if they'd just make it thisaway....."

sign me,
Primo Enthusiast

Oh yeah, .... watches..... My employer forces me to wear a digital beeper that not only gets satellite feed for accurate time and calendar events but gets the CNN headlines, market news and the weather. Why would anybody waste good knife money on a mere timepiece? ;-) Wristwatches I can totally do without. Flashlights are another matter indeed, since everybody can appreciate having light to see by. ;-)

mps

Back