Admit it... how bad have you cut yourself ?

Box cutter, 16 stitches across the top of my left hand. Was retrofitting leds in the front marker of a truck cutting the lens from the back. Cutter slipped and went right across my hand.

Last year I was driving home from the gym, and was trying to cut a bandage off a finger (knife cut)... and proceeded to cut the same finger bad enough that I bled all over my car. When I got home, my girlfriend (and her girlfriend) took one look as I continued to bleed into the kitchen sink, and said drive your self to the ER and get some stitches; which I did.

Lesson for those smarter than me... DON’T MESS WITH YOUR KNIFE WHILE DRIVING!

I jabbed myself pretty good with a large cold steel Espada. Forgot it was open in the bed after playing with it for awhile. Required a trip to the ER and some stitches. I’d post picks but I don’t know how and it’s pretty gross.

I cut my hand with a bali down to the bone requiring 11 stitches and caused peripheral nerve damage to a few fingers.

Sliced the inside of three fingers by grabbing what I thought was the handle of a balisong (spoiler, it was the blade).

Dropped my Tachyon III on my ankle. It stuck about 1/2" in and as soon as I pulled it out I bled like a stuck pig.

Everything else was regular "oops" cuts.

No stitches yet, but I'm sure I needed them on a couple of those cuts.

Chopping up kindling with a buck nighthawk when I was 12-13 years old. Missed , hit my left pointer finger at the big knuckle. Right to the bone. Stitches, nerve damage, scar still visible 25 or so years later

Mostly just little cuts here and there.
Though once while at work I was cutting up boxes with a utility knife.

I had a bad headache that day and took about 8 ibuprofen.
Any ways.. my hand got tired so I switched to my L hand.

Found out after about five minutes why that was a bad decision !
The bleed out was insane. I dripped blood all over the store.

Needed two sets of stitches, internal and external set.

Which time? ;) I have had minor cuts too many to count really. Mostly due to fidgeting and not being careful or FWI. (fidgeting while intoxicated) Nothing that ever required sutures. I wouldn't go to an ER anyway. I'm a nurse. We don't do that.

When I first started making knives, I nearly cut my right index finger off at the first joint when tying a lanyard on a sharpened knife I had just made. Had to get 4 stitches and one side of my index finger is still numb.

Oh yeah, mid 70s. I had a Gerber FSIII. If I snapped it open with some force, the lock would jam, and the knife was very difficult to close afterward. I got in the habit if flipping the knife around and tapping the lock on my boot heel to unlock it. One time I came to the aid of a damsel in distress. I whipped out my knife, cut open a package. flipped the knife around to close it, and stabbed myself in the back of the thigh.

Yes, I'm that cool.

Me learning to twirl a Benchmade Morpho:

NdzeNSY.jpg

GqqZ5FF.jpg

W0V21t2.jpg

You can see dhe mark on the blade. Press/push cut. No slicing action at all. Made a nifty popping sound.

2RO5FjK.jpg

This one got a nerve. Pretty funny story on it. I was cutting apples for a group of kids.... the table was just the right height to allow me to catch the lanyard against the table as I went to put the knife out of reach of the little fingers. Nicked the bone, severed some nerves!

aLbmWg0.jpg

This one was by my garage built ugly utility knife on the right.

jmvAQed.jpg

This one, I never got a good picture of the cuts. I could see tendons, but I waited till the next day to go to the Dr's and have it stitched.

I promise you, going to the regular DR, for stitches...if you see an old semi retired Jack Kavorkian looking old man..don't let him stitch you. He put the numbing needle all the way through my fingers 3 times....and squirted me in the eyes with pain killer!!

Then he gave up and did it with no numbing. Just said....he would have to do it without. He had me hold my hand above me, and he stood up and tried to stitch my hand mid air, no support for his palsied old hands!!! He made 10+ attempts to get a single stitch. He actuall, honest to gosh stitched my finger several times no where near the cut!!! He finally managed the worst stitches I have ever seen. They immediately tore through, first time the hand twitched. He was mostly retired. Filling in for my "family" Dr who was on vacation!

AdEaps9.jpg

KW4wXxf.jpg

This knife did it. I dropped it unsheathed while walking up the stairs bare foot...it was try to stop the knife before it hit my feet, try to jump it on the fly while preying I did not land on the blade with all my weight or stop it with my hand as it tumbled and cartwheeled.

nbCExTy.jpg

I've had stitches across my nose as well... but that involved a rusty old cow bell.....

My worst cut was with a Buck folder many yrs ago....I was "demonstrating" to my two sons how to handle a knife safely.
Forty yrs later, they still remind me of it on occasion...
:)

I severed two tendons on the top of my left hand doing drunk karambit stuff. Surgery, nine weeks of physical therapy and a year and a half or so later, I'm still not the guitarist I once was. Be careful. Don't be stupid like me.

Totally get this. I was sheathing a Cold Steel Desperado and got my pinky finger in the path coiled around the mouth of the sheath. Freak placement as curling your pinky causes a tendon to jump over in front of the finger meat. 1/8" slit in my finger.

Most painful cut I have ever had. Felt my tendon snap up into my arm. Tried surgery. It didn't take. Now my left pinky is permanently frozen at a near 90 degree angle at the main knuckle. Closes ok, but will not straighten. This happened back in 2003 and it still is a bit of a hindrance as it snags on things and aches in bad weather. I'm sure it will be arthritic by the time I'm 50 or so.

Careful, boys and girls. Tolls are paid to the blade mishandled.

Back