Admit it... how bad have you cut yourself ?

The worst cut I've gotten was from a tuna can lid I had opened with an old p38 if you know what that is about 40 years ago. I carve and the most recent cut was when I pushed a blade a little to hard forward and got my left forefinger pretty good. 4 stitches. I've learned to wear one of those cut proof gloves since then,

Never cut myself really bad with a knife. Lots of little ones.

Top 2 worst cuts ever, period:

2: i found a beer bottle at the beach when I was like 6 or 7 with a crab alive inside! It was bigger then the opening and somehow had survived.
Well, I decided to smash the bottle with a brick to get the crab. A flying piece of glass sliced my left forefinger DEEP.
I remember rushing to the bathroom to clean and bandage it. My mother walked in and completely freaked out lol.
Fast forward nearly 30 years, and the L shaped scar remains to remind me of my folly.

1: worst cut I gave myself was about 6 years ago, using a brand new hole saw on a drill to put 2-3 inch holes in the side of a tow truck bed. I was putting small round lights all across for the dude.
Well, I was careless when starting one of the holes, SLIPPED, and the saw spinning full speed slammed right into my left pinky finger which foolishly was in the way.
Blood was SPURTING out so hard it shot me in the face. Spurting everywhere like crazy.
I squeezed a rag over it and ran inside. No bandages, so I cleaned it, put a piece of folded paper towel over it, wrapped it several times with ductape, and went to finish the job.
The middle of that finger to the tip is completely numb. Severed all the nerves. I thank god it wasn't a thumb or a more useful finger. Probably should've gone to the hospital, but eh.....ductape worked fine

I checked the retention on a leather sheath by shaking it. Unfortunately, the knife came loose, landed point up at the kitchen counter, and when my hand came down again I stabbed myself in the hand.
3zFTOnz.jpg

DGYatHC.jpg

It was narrow, but deep.. And since I sliced the meat of the bone, I had to take a rather embarrassing trip to the emergency room. After I called my girlfriend and asked her to come watch my kids while I went to the hospital because of «an unexpected accident». It’s hard to be stupid.

Two recent cuts, one whilst cutting and onion whilst talking (bad idea) and the other when a slip joint opened in my pocket and I dug my hand in to find something and rubbed against a 15 dps 0.1 mirror edge... That one hurt20190805_182715_compress71.jpg 20190907_104404_compress17.jpg

For me its those damn zip ties!! Every time I have to cut those with my knife I get myself. So now I go look for some scissors!!

Two instances.

First, I was trying to make a deeper nocking notch on an arrow shaft (y’know, just curious 12 y.o. things) with that tiny non-locking Spyderco. Slipped and I hit my left thumb pretty cleanly, making a half-inch slit. Nothing too deep. Didn’t even feel a damn thing. Blood was flowing but it closed up not too long after.

Second, and I don’t even know if this counts. I was resting my thumb on the thumb jimping of my Endura 4 and stabbed some stacks of cardboard. Said cardboard was resting against the wall. The blade went from Mach 5 to Mach 0 real quick and my right thumb was bleeding, opened up by the thumb jimping.

Threads like these remind me to respect the blade. We may be the masters of our tools, but one wrong move can bring anything from stitches to months of surgery. Knives can seriously f*** the human body up.

Last year I was driving home from the gym, and was trying to cut a bandage off a finger (knife cut)... and proceeded to cut the same finger bad enough that I bled all over my car. When I got home, my girlfriend (and her girlfriend) took one look as I continued to bleed into the kitchen sink, and said drive your self to the ER and get some stitches; which I did.

Lesson for those smarter than me... DON’T MESS WITH YOUR KNIFE WHILE DRIVING!
Or don't use a knife for tasks like that in the first place?

When I was 8, I was whittling some wood and sliced the tip of my pinky finger clean through. It was hanging by some skin. They were able to put it back on. But 30 years later, I still have a nice scar and numbness and tingling in that finger.

I actually don't cut myself much and I've never had to get stitches for a knife cut. Just a few minor bites on various fingers and palms.

I don't use a knife on my job so I'm not digging in my pocket 50 times a day. I go slow and take my time.

I also don't fidget with knives.

My worst was when I was a young whipper snapper building model airplanes, slipped the exacto knife right into my left pointer finger. Have a nice 1” scar i look at daily.
I have the same scar on the same finger from doing the same thing except it was a tank model. :thumbsup:

I've had many small cuts from knives I've used over the years. The worst cut happened when I tried to catch a knife in a store that I fumbled while handling and was in the process of dropping it. Cut me real good.

I think the worst was when I was 10 or 11. I stabbed a SAK into a pick nick table while camping. It of course clamped on my pinky. Still have the scar.

As far as cuts go, nothing requiring stitches. But I have split my knuckle open with a 3lb hammer, and recently managed to stick a broken 1/8" drill bit completely through the meat beside the nail of my left thumb.
But I have done ok with the actual sharp bits.

Back