1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

ADVICE NEEDED - BEST ALL AROUND HUNTING KNIFE

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Hale Storm, May 20, 2017.

1. Hale Storm

Hale Storm Kydex Whisperer Gold Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Thanks but I wouldn't consider VG-10 a supersteel. I have a few Spyderco's and I need better edge retention than the VG-10 offers.

Thanks for posting!

2. Hale Storm

Sep 18, 2013
    Beautiful knife but too thick. No supersteel offerings either.

Thanks for posting

3. Hale Storm

Sep 18, 2013
    I love the Southfork design, but I just don't want the Taiwan. Personal preference. It's a GREAT blade.

4. Hale Storm

Sep 18, 2013

I love the Southfork design, but I just don't want the Taiwan. Personal preference. It's a GREAT blade.

5. Hale Storm

Sep 18, 2013
    I have a Nyala. It's a great edc but too small for what I need.

Thanks for posting.

Kiteman72 likes this.
  6. Hale Storm

Sep 18, 2013
    All made overseas. See #2.

7. Hale Storm

Sep 18, 2013
    The BM's are on my list. Thanks for posting.

8. Hale Storm

Sep 18, 2013
    No Cold Steel. See #2. I'm familiar with LT Wright but not AEBL. How does the edge holding compare to M390, Elmax, or 3V? Is it a carbon steel or stainless?

9. Hale Storm

Sep 18, 2013
    41 years skinning game. Never wore gloves. The Bark River GH is now on my list. I did not know the Buck Vanguard came in S30V. I'll look into both of these blades.
    Thanks for the detailed post.

10. Hale Storm

Sep 18, 2013
    I own a Bradford now (Gatsby) and the 4 is on my list. I also know G2 and read just about everything he posts.

Thanks for the post.

11. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    My favorite kitchen knife is in aeb-l. While it is a very good stainless steel (like anything ht has a big roll) I don't consider it on par with even s35vn. If you want longer edge retention I think s35vn would be a minimum.

12. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Hi Ronnie,

I like the White River Sendero knives designed by Jerry Fisk. They're in S30V and made in USA.

Personally, I'd say the Sendero Pack Knife or Sendero Bush Knife. But at 3.25 and 3.6 inch respectively, a bit shorter than you spec'd.

Fortunately, there's the Sendero Classic, which drops into your sweet spot at 4.4 inches.

I also have processed many animals without rubber gloves. As did every one of my forefathers before me, but to each his (her) own I suppose.

Check out the White River stuff and see if it strikes your fancy.

13. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    You could spend a bit more and get a Phil Wilson. He knows his steel and the knives are comfy as hell.

In the middle is the bow river and on the right is a hybrid of his bird n trout and smoke creek.

[​IMG]

craytab likes this.
  14. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Those are some very nice knives! Pay a bit more OP and get a Phil Wilson. It is exactly what you want besides maybe price.

15. gadunz

gadunz

Dec 4, 2012
  16. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Big Chris Knives
    Chris uses different steels which perform well. I've got hunters from him in 4V, 10V and S110V. He doesn't make big thick batoning blades, not his style. Even though I prefer micarta over G10, for cleaning game I use G10 because it doesn't get blood, fat impregnated in it like micarta does. It's a trade off for me.

trevitrace likes this.
  17. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    Copperandclad have the Buck 119 in S30v and are coming out with a 102, and perhaps others, soon.

18. XtianAus

XtianAus Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Have you checked out TRC knives?
    They are what i am looking into getting next. They use M390, Elmax and V4E.

http://www.trcknives.com

sfrigon1 likes this.
  19. sfrigon1

sfrigon1

Oct 2, 2016
    U beat me to it Xtian , the k1s is 4 in and would be perfect

XtianAus likes this.
  20. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Those Benchmades mentioned have small handles ! Too small for me. Otherwise fine. A Bark River Games keeper is minimum length for me [4"] .This knife I've been modifying to remove high polish. A molded textured rubber is best. My favorite steel is S35VN. For non-stainless , 3V or 4V. Super steels should be cryo treated but that must be properly !!. You'll have to decide what blade shape and handle shape suits you.