1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

ADVICE NEEDED - BEST ALL AROUND HUNTING KNIFE

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Hale Storm, May 20, 2017.

1. Bradass80

Bradass80

Apr 10, 2014
    I have a couple of Benchmade Hunt knives, and will bring them out to use for breaking the animal down once I have a game animal home and hanging in the garage. Like others have said, the handles are pretty small and thin on the Hunt knives, the steel holds an edge very well though.

The knives I carry with me in my pack for gutting and quartering are a Ryan W drop point hunter and SPK, IMO it doesn't get any better. Ryan's handles are amazing, and the tapered tang on the drop point makes it stick in your palm perfectly. Neither of my Ryan W knives are super steels, just high carbon, but if you want the best you can get I'd highly recommend contacting Ryan, he's a hunter as well and understands what works best for processing game.

I don't know how to post pics, but if you want to see a pic of the knives shoot me you email and I'll send some. Brad

gadunz likes this.
  2. gadunz

gadunz

Dec 4, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [ img]image code[/ img]
    but without gaps
    [​IMG]

sfrigon1 likes this.
  3. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    We must remember he wants a super steel and has justified it with his intended use and needs.

4. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    TRC - K1 in ELMAX with micarta.

4.5"
    Similar in overall blade thickness to the gso 4.7, but the much higher flat grind (along with the choiling), would improve its overall performance and control as a slicer/skinner, but still thick enough to retain plenty of toughness for other camp chores.

And ELMAX is a great "do-it-all" compromise of edge retention/rust resistence/toughness, while not being "as" difficult to sharpen as some other premium steels, even though they may hold an edge longer, elmax will still hold an edge pretty darn well with a good heat treat at around 60hrc.

And a nice leather sheath to boot! (Or kydex if you prefer)
    (Made in Lithuania)

If I was in your shoes it would definitely be at the top of my list to consider.
    Just not currently in a position to drop $300 on a new hunting knife (yet )

kancler and sfrigon1 like this.
  5. strategy9

Apr 27, 2015
    Another worth considering, is if you can get a hold of a Buck Kalinga skinner in s30v.

Another thick blade stock for toughness, but hollow ground for improved slicing.

6. chumaman

chumaman

Nov 13, 2012
    TRC K-1 is excellent knife...but Thickness: .189″ (4.8 mm) I tried but I find it too thick ... .141''(3,6mm) Is perfect :)
    Elmax 59-60 HRC can pass...but 60+ is powerful...my 2c :thumbsup: I might be spoiled for myself by custom pieces :rolleyes:

7. michaelm466

michaelm466 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Bark river Fox river regular or LT version, get the matte micarta handle for more grip

8. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014
    I suggest the LTWK Northern Hunter. It is an awesome knife. Fits all your criteria too. You can also get them in micarta. The handle is extremely comfortable amd the design is intended for the tasks you talk about. It may not have the "look" you think of, but as soon as you use it you will get it. My buddy loves stacked leather handle clip point hunting knives. He held my Large Northern Hunter and as soon as he handed it back he picked up his phone and ordered one. He told me he uses the heck put of it and it really changed his views on ergos

Heres mine...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  9. Frisky

Frisky

Dec 1, 2010
    I've been a hunter for 44 years and have always worn rubber gloves skinning game, but I know plenty of folks who don't. One good thing about the gloves is they can improve on a favorite knife that would otherwise get slippery. I can see why you wouldn't wear them if not used to them though. Cabela had the Vanguard in S30V, but I'm not sure if Buck is presently offering it. To me, the real super steels for skinning are 3V and M390. I decided against them, as I can keep up with the super steels just with very fast and effective sharpening technique.

10. jfk1110

jfk1110 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Fallkniven F1, H1 in 3g, which is a super steel or the PHK. The F1 is also available in Lam Cos which is phenomenal stuff.

11. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
  12. strategy9

Apr 27, 2015
    I know the TRC website has them listed at .17" thick, and the big river site listed it as .14" (though they are often unreliable), but contacting TRC direct you might be able to request a slightly thinner grind since it is made to order?

Good luck in your search, a lot of options out there.

13. chumaman

chumaman

Nov 13, 2012
    My search is complete, from the HT to the steel I have in the collection ... I prefer PM steels especially stainless so i possess cpm-s35vn, elmax, m390 and i just look at the newcomer piece
    cpm-s110v for extra pleasure ;)
    [​IMG]

14. redman2006

redman2006

Nov 6, 2012
    Buck Vanguard with the rubber handle. My go to for MANY hunts of all sorts. It has been through several deer or hogs at a time without sharpening. the key has been care in not hitting bone or cutting the hair, especially if they are muddy. I know it is not a super steel, but dang, that knife just works. Mine is at least 20 years old and still a favorite as I move into nicer, fancier and more expensive blades.

The next favorit is Mike Presnel. His number 4 or ogle creek are both awfully nice, and he will use other steels as you request. I have been very happy with mine.

15. chris0827

chris0827

May 5, 2010
    Another vote here for Dozier. Check out AG Russell- they usually have several different models in stock for around $2-250.

I know that D2 isn't a "supersteel", but my experience is that Dozier's heat treat outperforms my S30/35V knives.

They are made in Arkansas (I think) so you can feel good about buying american, plus they also come with a top notch kydex sheath. I have yet to find anything that performs better for hunting chores...

16. chumaman

chumaman

Nov 13, 2012
    Ups ... I forget to say ... my voice also for the D2 steel that has a higher benefit
    of the proper cryo HT :thumbsup:
    Sorry guys teasing you a bit :eek: but who care you got a Blade Show ;)
    [​IMG]

17. kancler

kancler Moderator Moderator

Mar 21, 2005
    The TRC K-1 we have in stock here in Chicago are about 3/16" or ~4.6mm...

TRC K-1 has ELMAX blade, TRC K-1 Fuller has M390 blade...

(you can see, touch and feel them personally at the BladeShow this year!)

Take a look here:

K-1: options are Black Canvas Micarta or Green Canvas Micarta and Leather or Kydex sheath:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

K-1 Fuller:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Armadew and strategy9 like this.
  18. chumaman

chumaman

Nov 13, 2012
    The #1 primary role is skinning big game animals with secondary use as a camp knife for meal prep, etc (relatively thin blade)

K-1S http://www.trcknives.com/gbr/page/k-1s
    Is much more appropriate to requirements :thumbsup:
    And completely agrees with what I said for the elmax ;)

strategy9 likes this.
  19. strategy9

Apr 27, 2015
    Nice! Great catch. That Definitely explains the discrepancy I noticed earlier in thicknesses, I just didn't realize two different models between the K1 & K1s...

0.03"-0.04" thinner stock with that same high flat grind would absolutely help improve slicing and skinning.
    Looks they are pushing the ELMAX a bit further too for that same reason as the
    K1 is listed 59-60hrc
    vs
    the K1s at 60-61hrc

We learn something new every day. The K1 just fell off my radar while I certainly see a K1s at some point in my future.