AFCK? AFCK? Enough already!

Mr. Harvey-

If you would actually read the post- I did not claim the Raven is a better knife. I listed it as the one I am carrying now to give a little insight into my personal tastes. In fact, I have retired the Raven back into storage for now, because after using it for a while, I decided that the clip position left too much of the knife revealed for my needs.

Secondly, I DID NOT post asking for others to tell me why they liked the AFCK. I outright slammed it because I wanted to hear what was so great about it. I had an opinion and I posted it. I have recieved a handful of e-mails from others who agree with me but are afraid to raise their voice on the forum for fear of retribution. Ironically, I suppose, I recieved more mail from those slamming me personally for berating the AFCK. So don't preach to me about "bigotry" or "being silly or unfair". Doesn't that work both ways?

It still seems unbelievable to me that the fans of the AFCK refuse to even consider another piece. The mantra seems to be "price point". Why can't you compare an $80 AFCK to a $120 EDI Genesis? If you want to really get that restrictive, then I officially concede. For 80 bucks, there's probably nothing better. Happy now? If an $80 dollar knife is what you want, fine. I was more than happy to shell out the extra 40 for the EDI. (mine demonstates none of the problems you mentioned incidentally) On the forums, every knife is compared to every knife, but don't bag on the AFCK. I see how it is. (And yes, I too would like to see Zaine's list.)

I will bring up this next point because I have seen it myself, and others have talked with me about it off the forum. There exists a group of individuals who moderate this and other forums and respond to posts in such a way that discourages, in some cases, further discussions. Invariably, someone posts a question about knife x and if one of these few people respond with their 2 cents, that's it. End of discussion. And when there are other posts, they defer to that person's opinion like sheep. Now, I will agree that these folks more than likely have had more exposure to the knife world than others- but that shouldn't mean if you disagree you are verbally scolded. Don't believe me? Look at this thread. It's like some kind of weird oligarchy. Contrary to what occurs here, your name does not boost the validity of your opinion. I may be a nobody, but I sure have started a discussion, haven't I?

And that's what it is, a discussion. I provoked a response and got one. (many) If you for one second think that by posting a reply telling me how to conduct my discussion is going to deter me, you are wrong. I couldn't care less who you are. You complain about this thread but still reply to it in hopes that your name will convince everyone that you are the only that knows what he's talking about.

Plus, I'm still not convinced. I agree with you on one point, the challenge does still remain. No one has proven the AFCK to be the knife of the gods it's claimed to be. And do you know why? Because an impressive list of technical specs does not a great knife make. For $100, I fully expect any knife to have these kinds of features. The true test is in the real world or in your pocket and performing required tasks based on your individual wants and needs. For me, the AFCK does not fit the bill. It's ugly as sin, and I do not like the thumb hole at all. For me, these are things I cannot overlook.

Sure, I wish more people would agree with me- but I don't have the name for that. And if I did, I certainly would not attempt to influence someone else's hobby. I got the info I wanted from this post, and I think I'll stay away for awhile. I think it's best to make decisions regarding MY knives on my own. If you can't figure out why I posted this, then too bad for you. There were plenty others who had no problem at all.

This time, READ before you reply-

Clip Point, I'm beginning to wonder what your motive here is.

I have yet to see anyone try to "discourage" the discussion here. I have seen several people ask you for further clarification of your viewpoints, something you have been reluctant to do.

You seem to be looking for an argument, which is something I will not tolerate here. If you want to discuss knives, feel free, because that is what this site is for. But do *not* insult people here for no other reason other than to stir up the waters. This isn't "other" forums, and I won't allow it.

If you have a specific problem with someone, you take it up with them, period. If you can't follow the rules of these forums, you'll lose permission to post here, pure and simple.

I'd like to discuss this matter with you via private email, so I can learn just where the problem lies. But as for right now, I expect you to stop being hostile to the other forum members here.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

Clip:

There's nothing wrong with voicing your opinions (provided that they are within the ground rules of this forum). For that matter, I don't see anything wrong with liking other knives such as Raven.

I hope you don't think the world is against you. I know I'm not. In fact, I am also constantly searching for more suitable knives.

Of those who emailed you and agreed with you, did they also specifically state that they didn't write publically because they were afraid of retribution? If so, it's a shame because I for one would never have done that.

I also agree that bigotry, silliness, and unfairness can work both ways. And by your own submission, I recommend you to examine your line of thinking for those possible pitfalls as I will do that for mine. After all, ignorance can get you killed; a fate far worse than a flame war on some Internet forum.

If the mantra seems to be "price point", it is because you are be correct. It would be unfair to compare a $80 AFCK with a $120 EDI Genesis just it would be unfair to compare a $2700 Mad Dog Saxon with a $27 Pakistani Chrome. However, it WOULD be fair to compare the performance level of a $80 AFCK and say a $40 Spyderco Endura against a $120 EDI Genesis just as it would be fair to compare a $2700 Mad Dog Saxon against 100 $27 Pakistani Chromes.
biggrin.gif

You are also correct in the assessment that there exists an oligarchy within this forum. They are called the moderators. They have the unenviable task of dousing flames, bashing trolls, and ensuring quality throughout the land. Without them, this place would be another rec.dot.knives. In any system of government, therein lies the potential for abuse. However, based on the history and development of this site, strengthened by the personal actions on the part of the moderators in the past, I have come to the conclusion the likelihood of abuse is low. Trust me. I wouldn't stick around if it wasn't.

I also agree that a name nor credentials necessarily boost the validity of one's opinions. And that's a very important point you brought up. If that were the case, we'd all be soaking it up from some 12th degree black belt schooled in Backyard Bob's McTKD. Far better would be to simply scrutinize the contents of one's words on the forums to determine validity. Let the "actions" speak for themselves so to speak.

I for one hope my "name" won't carry any weight either. But since I'm effectively warning others from something that includes myself, I don't think that'll be a problem.
smile.gif

I don't know where you got the notion that the AFCK is the knife of the gods, but it certainly wouldn't be from me. Didn't they teach you in Sunday school that it's dangerous to idolize false gods? Especially when the real knife of the gods is of my personal design? (Just kidding!
wink.gif
)

Finally, you don't need to publically capitulate to mainstream thought. Lord knows I don't if I have good reasons not to. But that's not what bothers me. What bothers me is your seemingly inflexible attitude in even considering the remote possibility that the AFCK might actually be all that's cracked up to be. And that has nothing to do with knives. Out in the real world, such attitudes can easily get you killed or hurt. Again, far better for me to tell you on a forum rather than you learning the hard way. If there's any assistance I can offer you, please feel free to e-mail me. I'm not exactly a professional or anything, but I'm willing to listen if you're willing to write.

[This message has been edited by SB (edited 20 November 1998).]

Well, up until yesterday, I have never seen an AFCK, and now that I have, I think that they are a pretty nifty knife, especially for the money. I am not a fan of the hole-in-the-blade-opening-device, but I think that would be my only reservation. I may find myself buying one in the future, I like the 1/8" blade versus the slightly skinnier on on the Genesis, and I found that the liner lod release was as easy to accidentally hit compared to the CRKT apache (I shoulda boughta afck)...

------------------
Off is search of Knirvana....yek

I would like to add that having one's name carry weight is more of a curse than a blessing. As a new person, you can say whatever you want and no one associates it with you later or has a cow if you don't agree with them. As someone with a reputation, you have to be very careful what you say and respond to and how you do it, because it will follow you, and the backlash is more severe.
Just wanted to add that. Most of the time, I would much rather that I were just another new guy on the forums, so I could blaze away and say whatever I want. The more reknowm you get, the more you become almost a public figure, and everything you say is under scrutiny.

thaddeus

Back