Air Rifles for Pest Control/Plinking ?

Agree with Rednek on pellets.The Predators actually work,I've used them to knock crows over and terminate rats. Though I think my gun prefers Crosman premier lights (7.9 grs) for accuracy. Here's a poor pic of my rifle,sorry I need to take a better picture..

HW772.jpg

Last edited:
A suppressed .22 is more accurate and quieter than a decent .177 air rifle. I've had quite a number of doubters of this claim and have dispelled the doubts on many an occasion.

The Scope was $30.00,and dont forget the Predator pellets.Pyramid Air sells 3tins,and the fourth is free.

I had to cheap out and just get some of those bulk-buy Daisy match pellets for now (I couldn't find a place to ship them cheap), but I did find these before. How does Gamo's Red and Blue fire polymer tipped pellets compare? Also saw "crosman destroyers" which looked like a good mix between a match and a hunting pellet.

i use one of my .22 bolt rifles and Colibri (primer only) ammo...quieter than most air rifles (really!)...effective range up to 30ft; good enough to clear the backyard area...

Does deal spotting count as against the rules if it's for an air-gun scope?

I ordered this today along with some high-profile scope rings and the predators. I didn't think I'd find a scope this nice for such a price. 3-9 magnification and adjustable objective.

I better call the bank and tell them not to accept any more orders since there's a bunch of heavy-weight pellets I want to try too. I was supposed to buy a new sharpening stone this month too!

Anyway, I should have everything by about next week, I'll let you guys know how I scored then.

I have had a Beeman R1 with a Beeman scope for more than ten years. It is powerful, accurate, convenient, and very well made. The quality is far better than all the other air rifles I have ever had. It will penetrate clear through a small animal, jack rabbit or cat size, at fifty yards, and will group just over one inch at that range. I use it for target practice in my basement too. Seriously, it is not a toy. It's a life-long keeper.

The recoil can be a challenge to deal with. Not that it is heavy or painful or anything like that. But it vibrates when you shoot it. First, the spring-air piston moves forward, causing the rifle to recoil backwards. Then the piston stops, causing the rifle to recoil forward, then the pellet and air accelerate and exit, causing the rifle to recoil backward again. Again, this is light and not at all unpleasant. But it does move the rifle enough to affect your aim, and it happens slowly enough that you will need to work on your hold and follow through.

A good pre-charged pneumatic can be more powerful and accurate, but considerably more expensive and less convenient. If you use your rifle for pest control, you're likely to leave it near the back door for days or weeks at a time, waiting for a shot. I wouldn't want to leave any air rifle, including a pcp, cocked and loaded or charged with compressed gas for that length of time. A pcp will take a while to charge up, and the pest may be gone by the time you're ready to shoot. The spring-air rifles, on the other hand, will take only a few seconds to cock and load.

The Sheridan Silver Streak I had when I was a kid was nice too, but nowhere near as powerful or accurate or fast to charge. All the Crosmans and cheap imports I have had are junk by comparison.

I got a Gammo that came with a scope for about $130. I've just used it to shoot small rifle targets I tape to a phone book across my pool deck (~ 20 yards). No problem making 1-inch groups. The pellets penetrate about 300 pages into the phone book. Good fun.

I have a benjamin sheridan in .22 and when I was younger I killed doves, crows, squirrels, rabbits, possums, and even a coon or two with it. One of my friends dad knew someone who was killed by one accidentally (Shot in the chest by a buddy when they were kids).

The .22 flies slower then .177 and mine used to drop about 6" at 50 yards (was sighted in for about 15 yards), but even on windy days it was dead nuts accurate.

I'd advise you to avoid C02. They simply aren't efficient. After your first dozen shots or so you need a new cartridge because it starts losing power.

Crack barrels are ok but I prefer the feel/sound of a gun you gotta pump (Even if they are inconvenient/ a workout after alot of shooting).

A suppressed .22 is more accurate and quieter than a decent .177 air rifle. I've had quite a number of doubters of this claim and have dispelled the doubts on many an occasion.
Your right, but its a lot more expensive to set up. At least $125-$200 for the gun. Then you gotta have your barrel threaded. Then you gotta purchase a tax stamp. Then you gotta purchase a suppressor. Then you gotta purchase sub sonic ammo.

An decent air rifle can be obtained for about $100 and pellets are extremely cheap to buy.

I have the break-barrel crosman phantom. I really like it. For such a small bullet it is crazy powerful. I have not hunted with it.

That's my experience too. Get a Weihrauch and you realize that the Crosman,Daisy et al are crap. I understand there is a guy that will rework a Silver streak and the like to turn them in to a real shooting machine.I think it was called Mac1 airguns.

I have had a Beeman R1 with a Beeman scope for more than ten years. It is powerful, accurate, convenient, and very well made. The quality is far better than all the other air rifles I have ever had. It will penetrate clear through a small animal, jack rabbit or cat size, at fifty yards, and will group just over one inch at that range. I use it for target practice in my basement too. Seriously, it is not a toy. It's a life-long keeper.

The recoil can be a challenge to deal with. Not that it is heavy or painful or anything like that. But it vibrates when you shoot it. First, the spring-air piston moves forward, causing the rifle to recoil backwards. Then the piston stops, causing the rifle to recoil forward, then the pellet and air accelerate and exit, causing the rifle to recoil backward again. Again, this is light and not at all unpleasant. But it does move the rifle enough to affect your aim, and it happens slowly enough that you will need to work on your hold and follow through.

A good pre-charged pneumatic can be more powerful and accurate, but considerably more expensive and less convenient. If you use your rifle for pest control, you're likely to leave it near the back door for days or weeks at a time, waiting for a shot. I wouldn't want to leave any air rifle, including a pcp, cocked and loaded or charged with compressed gas for that length of time. A pcp will take a while to charge up, and the pest may be gone by the time you're ready to shoot. The spring-air rifles, on the other hand, will take only a few seconds to cock and load.

The Sheridan Silver Streak I had when I was a kid was nice too, but nowhere near as powerful or accurate or fast to charge. All the Crosmans and cheap imports I have had are junk by comparison.

I would be wary of using an air rifle for varmint hunting. Would you guys feel comfortable shooting something the size of an adult groundhog with an air rifle? I normally use a .17HMR, and I've had groundhogs not stop from body shots with 20 gr. FMJ's (they don't fair so well against the 17 gr poly-tipped rounds.. those things leave nasty holes.) If a 20 gr. round moving 2300 FPS doesn't always drop one, will a pellet? Granted, you could only use headshots, but hitting a moving target the size of a groundhog's head at 250 yards isn't always do-able.

+1 for MAC1, anything from Tim is dead nuts accurate and will hit like a sledge hammer. Becareful my friend the world of airguns is just as addictive as knives.....I speak from personal experience lol.

I had to cheap out and just get some of those bulk-buy Daisy match pellets for now (I couldn't find a place to ship them cheap), but I did find these before. How does Gamo's Red and Blue fire polymer tipped pellets compare? Also saw "crosman destroyers" which looked like a good mix between a match and a hunting pellet.
None of those pellets can compare to Predators when it comes to consistant accuracy or knockdown/shock power.Quality Control sucks on Gamo pellets,they are very inconsistant from tin to tin.I set my scope with Predators two years ago,and can still make a headshot on a rabbit @30yards.;)

That's my experience too. Get a Weihrauch and you realize that the Crosman,Daisy et al are crap. I understand there is a guy that will rework a Silver streak and the like to turn them in to a real shooting machine.I think it was called Mac1 airguns.
Crossman air rifles are just fine for small pest controll.Daisy quality is terrible.If youre hunting something that a Crosman/Benjamin air rifle wont take care of,then attempting to hunt such an animal with any air rifle would be inhumane.It takes a real gun for anything other than small pests/game.Mac1 airguns do a fine job as long as price isnt an issue.I have a problem with spending more money on a air rifle than I did my 22mag.;)

I would be wary of using an air rifle for varmint hunting. Would you guys feel comfortable shooting something the size of an adult groundhog with an air rifle? I normally use a .17HMR, and I've had groundhogs not stop from body shots with 20 gr. FMJ's (they don't fair so well against the 17 gr poly-tipped rounds.. those things leave nasty holes.) If a 20 gr. round moving 2300 FPS doesn't always drop one, will a pellet? Granted, you could only use headshots, but hitting a moving target the size of a groundhog's head at 250 yards isn't always do-able.

Well, I would limit the use of small calibre air rifles or suppressed standard velocity .22LR arms to about 50 yards. The main reason you would want to use this type of weapon is that they are pretty quiet; unlikely to disturb the bridge party three doors down. Can't say the same for .17HMR. If I were shooting chucks at 250 yards, I would want something like a .22-250 and to heck with the noise. Hope there aren't many neighbors closer than a mile away.

Well, I would limit the use of small calibre air rifles or suppressed standard velocity .22LR arms to about 50 yards. The main reason you would want to use this type of weapon is that they are pretty quiet; unlikely to disturb the bridge party three doors down. Can't say the same for .17HMR. If I were shooting chucks at 250 yards, I would want something like a .22-250 and to heck with the noise. Hope there aren't many neighbors closer than a mile away.

A .22-250 is overkill at 250 yards. All you're going to see is a red mist. :p I use a .204 Ruger for coyotes, though, but the rounds are too expensive for groundhog shooting, imo.

ETA: You guys are making me want to go buy a high quality air rifle, now. Damn you guys...

I like the RWS M48 sidecocker, but the Beeman products (renamed Weihrauchs, etc) are great also. The R1 is nice.

I have to agree on the diana model 48 sidecocker. Sweet gun. Only sweeter is the 54.

A couple of remarks from a GHOF re air and gunpowder rifles.
1. Never mount a regular rifle scope on an airgun or vice-versa. Reason? Gunpowder firearms recoil to the rear and the internal parts in their scopes are designed for that direction of recoil. Air rifles are the opposite, they recoil forward and a few shots with a gunpowder rifle scope mounted on an air rifle will damage it, also the same if an air rifle scope is switched to a regular rifle so don't do it.
2. I don't know about other states but New Mexico specifically forbids the discharge of a 'gunpowder' firearm within 450 feet of any occupied residence unless the shooter has the permission of those residents. However, no such restrictions for air/CO2/etc. 'guns.' Check your state laws and avoid possible trouble with the authorities....

Back