Air Rifles for Pest Control/Plinking ?

I am with -black mamba . Gamo whisper .177 ,Its shoots acc. and far enough to take out most pests . I was very happy with the groups at 25 yds.
It takes out chips head shots at good ranges , 3x9 scoped , combo package.
For larger game . 22 longs in rugar 1022 or the marlin bolt action works good at out to 50 yds. with good groups as well and good kills.

I have taken several rats, pigeons and rabbits with an RWS Diana 34 in 177 cal. You can humanely dispatch racoons and such with a 22 cal air rifle easily. I strongly recommend this rifle in 22 cal. For 200 USD and German quality u cannot go wrong. The new model has an improved T06 trigger which is super.

I'm in love with my .25 cal Walther Falcon.

How much power? Through penetrates a #10 steel coffee can full of water at 10 yards. Not bad for single stroke gun, and it does it with no sonic crack.

I just got my 2nd Air Rifle ! I got a good deal on a Gamo Whisper Classic with the nice wood stock & 3x9 Gamo scope(BSA) It has been Lube Tuned & de-burred & I've got a GRTIII custom trigger on order :D I've got it sighted in at 20yds & with the stock (Junk) trigger (very long pull & unpredictable) I'm shooting 1" groups on average sometimes just over & sometimes just under. After the new Trigger gets installed I should get alot tighter groups....I Hope ! I alos got my boys(Identical twins age 7) a set of youth Air Rifles for their Birthday in a few weeks, They are getting Ruger Explorers.

I am currently a licensed pest control operator and have knocked down hundreds of pigeons, starlings and a few rats(poison and traps for them)
using a .177 breakbarrel beeman rated 795fps and has worked great.

here in city limits for licensed pest control shooting we have laws limiting us to .177 and 495fps. But who is going to test my pellet gun?
believe it or not up here you need a F.A.C (Fire Arms Aquisition Certificate) for any pellet rifle over 495fps.
The same as buying/owning a centerfire rifle. AND there is a criminal/ police background check and a gov't registry so they know what is in your home(that is declared)
I had a friend who lives just over the border and brought it up for me a few years ago to get around the bull.

for close shots on pigeons I prefer flat pellets as the pointier ones will pass through with velocity. Usually shooting in warehouses and enclosed spaces and worry about windows, lights etc. I will use hunting pellets on longer shots with an eye for the background.

In my industry you look like a jackass if you break windows and lights.
And if it is manufacturing or food related the glass contamination can halt the line for cleaning and/or disposal. Insurance claims and one time customers bad mouthing..........

Grew up shooting everything I could with .177 breakbarrels, good enough, tough and cheap

regards and great thread

Last edited:
EMT_Lee
Last weekend, I got the chance to play with one of the Gamo air rifles that are rated 1000fps. It had a hard time one-shot-stopping small birds (robins), so... as I said before, I seriously do not think these are the choice for pest control.

If the gun was working as it should, the problem is most likely the shooter. You would be surprised just how hard it is to shoot one of those accurately and consistantly. It not the same a shooting a firearm. Thats why so many people buy high power air rifles like the Gamo and are not happy with them.
Shooting robins is a violation of Federal law by the way. The Migratory Bird Act protects just about every species of song bird, bird of prey, water fowl etc except starlings and Weaver finches. Violations carry large fines and/or jail time.

I would be wary of using an air rifle for varmint hunting. Would you guys feel comfortable shooting something the size of an adult groundhog with an air rifle? I normally use a .17HMR, and I've had groundhogs not stop from body shots with 20 gr. FMJ's (they don't fair so well against the 17 gr poly-tipped rounds.. those things leave nasty holes.) If a 20 gr. round moving 2300 FPS doesn't always drop one, will a pellet? Granted, you could only use headshots, but hitting a moving target the size of a groundhog's head at 250 yards isn't always do-able

Airguns are just as effective as any small caliber rifles at under 50 yards. I shoot woodchucks pretty regularly with a .22 cal Diana 54 at ranges up to at least 50 yards. I whacked squirrels out past 60 yards with no problem. As long as you know how to shoot the rifle properly its not hard. Most hunters using firearms rely on brute power and shock trauma to kill small game, airguns are more like using a bow. Shot placement is everything. A heart/lung shot or solid head shot will stop a woodchuck at 50 yards. Miss the kill zone and it will run and die somehwere else.
As to what guns are good/better etc, I stay away form the cheap Chinese (or the expensive ones for that matter). Most Crosman spring guns are made in China despite what you might hear. Umarex guns bearing names such as Hammerli, Winchester, Walther etc are also Chinese guns. I have quite a number of rifles from a number of different makers, and the European guns are the ones to get if you want a good quality rifle. English made Webleys (not the new ones made in Turkey), BSA, Weihrauch, Feinwerkbau, older Walther guns, any of the Dianawerk made variants. The models I use most are the Feinwerkbau 127, Diana 54 and Webley Xocet, all .22 caliber rifles, all capable of 1/2" gropus at 50 yards. I also have a couple .177 Feinwerkbau 300 rifles, excellent for sparrow plinking at the feeder. These are match grade rifles, and will shoot one hole groups at 40 yards if the shooter is up to it. With one of these you can do surgical extraction of pest English sparrows without disturbing the other birds.
Pump rifles made by Crosman or Sheridan today are a shadow of what they were. Old school pumpers like the Sheridan model C are wonderful hunters, light and powerful, very accurate if you use the right pellet and a Williams peep sight. You can usually get these old guns fairly cheap, and even if they need to be resealed thats not a big deal. These old classics have taken truckloads of game over the past 60+ years and are a proven hunting rifle. I have several Sheridans of varying vintages and a lot of old Crosman rifles, all of which are top quality and far better than anything made today. My favorites are the Crosman model 102 rifles, a magazine fed bolt action pump repeater.

Some pics of a few of the guns in the collection -

1938 Crosman 102
_IGP1080.jpg

1947 Crosman 102
DCP_2043.jpg

FWB 127
DCP_2349.jpg

1974 FWB 300 Tyro
tyro1.jpg

FWB 300S mini
miniss2a.jpg

1957 Sheridan Silver Streak with factory williams peep
cw7.jpg

1963 Sheridan
_IGP2392.jpg

Webley Xocet
xocet2.jpg

BSA Airsporter Stutzen Mk1
_IGP1242.jpg

Those are some sweet looking Air Rifles Arathol ! I liking my Gamo Whisper Classic, the factory Gamo scope is Junk ! It didn't last long before the CrossHairs got all fuzzy looking inside so now I have installed a RWS 3x9 w/ AO & it's shooting some good groups, the Factory trigger isn't much either so I purchased a GRTIII trigger from CharlieDaTuna, this custom trigger is supposed to be "The trigger" & from what I've read after this trigger upgrade the Whisper will be SWEEEEET !
I'll keep you guy's updated on the Whisper's Performance after the upgraded trigger !

Hammerli & Gamo AirGuns are made in Spain...not China

Most Gamos are of Spanish origin but not all.
Hammerli, on the other hand is now just brand name owned by Umarex. Hammerli used to make top quality guns in Switzerland . Now its just a name that is put on cheap guns from Mexico, Turkey, China and anywhere else that can make them. Its called brand recognition, hoping that uneducated people will buy junk just because it has a respected name on it. The Beeman name has gone the same way recently.

I would try to steer clear of that particular vendor for trigger upgrades. He is well known to be less than honest, and the fact that he has been selling that trigger design proves it. Its a blatant ripoff of someone elses design, his own ex business partner no less. The other guy has a better design available anyhow.

I would try to steer clear of that particular vendor for trigger upgrades. He is well known to be less than honest, and the fact that he has been selling that trigger design proves it. Its a blatant ripoff of someone elses design, his own ex business partner no less. The other guy has a better design available anyhow.
CharlieDaTuna ? LOL...he is a Very popular & trusted person, check out the GTA forums....Everyone knows him & loves his work ! I installed the trigger on my Gamo Whisper Classic & it works great, I had no problems dealing with him, one of the smoothest deals I've done & he kept contact with me thru the whole thing.
I would recommend him & I would deal with him again !

No worries with CharlieDaTuna. The GRTIII is a fantastic trigger and I think you'll love it (and incidentally, the way I understand it, his business "partner" ripped him off; NOT the other way around as Arathol explains it)!

I have a HIGHLY modified, early Gamo Whisper. I put a wooden stock on it long before they were available this way from the factory, a 4-16x AO scope, the GRTIII trigger, and the best part, I custom fit an air ram into it to replace the spring (I was one of the first users to do this). Granted, I did buy the ram with parts to fit into the Whisper from Pyramid Air, but as PA prefers the customer to send their rifle in for the work, I installed it myself and took dimensions on the derlin parts for the community. However, that is not possible any longer, as they no longer sell the parts for the user to do it themselves for some stupid legal reasons. With the air ram (basically a compressed nitrogen strut like you find on many trunk lids), the gun has none of the typical springer "twang", and I don't have to worry about double recoil. When I pull the (sweet) trigger, I just get a nice, solid "thunk". I deburred it, honed the cylinder, properly lubed it, and I put in a better main seal. Here's a picture of the air ram and the other parts before I lubed them up and put them into the rifle:
IMG_2869.jpg

It consistently shoots 8.4 grain Beeman Crow Magnums at a chrono'd 855 fps, and inside 35 yards, those are my most accurate and preferred pellet. If I want to reach out further, I use JSB exacts (domed, 8.2 grains, 880 fps). I have taken rabbits and squirrels out to 55 yards with this set up with proper shot placement. I've hit Crows out to about 75 yards, but there isn't enough energy left to penetrate without a headshot and it is hard to be that accurate that far out, but it still smacks them pretty good. From a rest, I can hit a Coke can consistently out to 100 yards with enough energy to put the pellet almost all the way through a water-filled can. I can put the Crow Mags into nearly the same hole everytime shooting from a rest at 15 yards (I tend to get about 1/2" groups with 10-shot strings). That does the job plenty well for me. If I need to go bigger, well that's what a .22 is for!

For the best advice, the prevously mentioned GTA forums are likely the best place you'll find. Those guys are friendly and very helpful.

Here's a shot of my rifle (prior to the air ram installation):
IMG_2905_cropped.jpg

And another, just after the air ram install:
IMG_3037.jpg

In the span of about 90 minutes today, she took 5 danged tree rats (daily limit) out of the tree in the back yard. :D Stupid little buggers are making a huge mess out there right now, and are trying their best to get into my attic and nest! :mad: NOT gonna happen!!! Every shot was dead-on in the head at about 15 yards though. :cool:

Crosman 1377 carbine and a Sheridan Silver streak .20. I have some others, all junkers and old ones that need to be fixed (.22 Crosman).

CharlieDaTuna ? LOL...he is a Very popular & trusted person, check out the GTA forums....Everyone knows him & loves his work ! I installed the trigger on my Gamo Whisper Classic & it works great, I had no problems dealing with him, one of the smoothest deals I've done & he kept contact with me thru the whole thing.
I would recommend him & I would deal with him again !

You must be kidding. He is popular on his own forum among his cronies, but he is persona non grata most everywhere else. Read some of his tech library, most of it was lifted from posts made by other tuners on various websites. He also claimed to be using parts from a well known maker of aftermarket kits who denied that he sold Charlie the parts as claimed.

his business "partner" ripped him off; NOT the other way around
says Charlie

And prisons are full of innocent people...
I would suggest that you do a bit of research on that, Steve Woodward is actually the designer. It started as a trigger improvement for Gamo type triggers with help from James Perotti.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/7953...l)+fact+about+"Gamo"+type+triggers-

In 2004 Steve and Bob Werner, AKA CDT, joined forces. Steve designed the trigger, Bob tested and marketed it
http://www.network54.com/Forum/7953...e+"Gamo-Theoben+type"++trigger+mod-

All was good until June 2006
http://www.network54.com/Forum/7953...+I+now+buy+GTX+II+triggers-++Steve+in+NC-+-nt

http://www.network54.com/Forum/7953...+and+Mike+Adams)+have+asked+that+I+rescale---

http://www.network54.com/Forum/7953...eck+out+the+tunas+website-++Interesting,+++NT

and it was all downhill from there

I modded this Crosman 2240 pistol into a nice little carbine--good for squirrels up to 25 yards or so.

modded2240.jpg

Nice! Along the same lines; Modded 2250 carbine (this thing pushes some air, well CO2, it's got a nice BLAP when ya shoot it:D:thumbup: I could probably use one of those "barrel shrouds";))
1003111547.jpg

-sh00ter

I'm not worried about "Who Ripped off who" thats between those people. All I know is that I talked with CDT several times & I placed an order for the GRTIII trigger for my Gamo Whisper Classic. He contacted me to let me know he received payment & that the Trigger would ship the following morning, a few days later I got it in the mail...took about 10min to swap triggers & I took it out back to try it out. WOW what a world of difference this trigger made ! I have no complaints with CDT or his Trigger & I would do business with him again ! If you(Arathol) don't like him then thats between you guys. No hard feelings between you(Arathol)& me I hope. Just a difference in opinion ;)

For the value and power I love my GAMA Shadow 1000. I have the GRT III trigger from DA'Tuna and it is gold death for the critters.

Back