Air Rifles for Pest Control/Plinking ?

Evanix Renegade AR-6 .22 caliber PCP. I hunt squirrels and rabbits with it.
EvanixAR-6RenegadePCPAirRifle.jpg

In Britain where firearm ownership isn't particularly high in suburban areas (due to needing specfiic and geneuine reasosn to own them i.e defending yourself not being one..) everyone uses an airrifle to blast pests and plink. The legal power limit for our air rifles (before they are considered firearms) is 12 foot pounds, pistols 6 foot pounds (before they become section 5 firearms like machine guns, modern handguns etc!) and we do just fine with .177 and .22 up to and around 40 yards/metres. A .177 pellet will have a flatter tragectory than the .22 but it won't fly right if you push it past 1000fps.

PCP will get give you more power and consistent easy shots, but a springer is tough and easy to maintain (keep them under 18 foot pounds or they shoot all over the place). Persoanlly, because of all the messing around with charging pcp's and leaks I go springer, atm I have a weihrauch hw80 full barrel in .22 (weihrauch is known by some countries as beeman) and while it is under the 12 ft/lb power I can still humanely take out rabbits, squirrels and stuff at 30 yards without practicing every day.

hw80.jpg

this is it, without a scope :)

I've also shot rats and stuff with air pistols (again at a very moderate power of under 6 foot pounds) humanely, always within 10 feet but providing you shoot straight you can reach out a few more. I use a spring powered Weihrauch hw45 in .22 atm and also had one in .177, very solid well made guns and lots of fun to master.

my .177 version,

HW451.jpg

An easier gun to shoot though would be the Webley alecto (or zoraki hp01) in .22, fantastic multi stroke air pistol. No recoil, easy to bump the power up to 15+ ft/lb and now they come with a silencer adaptor! I ahd one for some time and could shoot pellet on pellet at 30 feet/10m! they also come with accessory rails for grips, lasers and sights. this is mine before I sold it. I had a red dot and torch/laser under slung attachment!

alectoa1.jpg

and finally my crosman ratbuster 2240 in .22, co2 powered and the single best gun to modify! Mine started life as a pistol and ended up a mini carbine, I shot plenty of rats with this and it was also under the pistol power limit in Britain and done a gret job, instant headshot kill at 10 feet all day long. Co2 will give you less effecient propellant methods though, as co2 is sensative to temperature changes, colder the temp the less shots you get, hotter the more etc. But they are awesome guns to play with and build up!

this is mine,

DSCF1711.jpg

I'd recommend a crosman 1377, multi stroke pcp pistol. It is simular to the 2240 in that you can mod the hell out of it but it runs on hand compressed air like the webley so doesn't go funny in cold or hot places. the power can also be bumped up with valve mods and custom parts (same as the 2240) and it will be very cheap. The alecto is also a great choice but it is plastic and alot of people don't like that, even though it is solid!

My advice when shopoting with airguns is know the guns range/limits. That way you won't make anything suffer, obviously a .22lr would be ideal if you can get one but never dismiss the ease of air power bro! :D

hope that helped.

I used to hunt quite a bit with the spring piston air rifles. The first one I bought as a teenager was a Webley Vulcan in .177 caliber, and there is no telling how many squirrels, rabbits, pigeons, blackbirds, sparrows, etc., that I took with it.

Also the 2250 (big brother to the crosman 2240 pistol) comes in a 'king' version, meaning it takes massive co2 capsules instead of the standard little ones, these models can be converted to hpa (high powered air) like a pcp, all you need is adaptors, paintball bottle and leads. Then just fill it and shoot like a boss!

I would also recommend if you are to buy an air rifle, buy Air Arms or Weihrauch! two of the best makers on the market, weihrauch being particualrly easy to tune. My hw80 is v-match first stage tuned and it cocks/fires like a beauty! But models like the AAtx200/hc and the hw97/80 will give you a solid platform to start with.

which one should I go for?
I know nothing about air rifles :)

winchester model 1028
ruger air hawk
stoeger x10

or something else all together?
plinking, squirrels and rabbits

which one should I go for?
I know nothing about air rifles :)

winchester model 1028
ruger air hawk
stoeger x10

or something else all together?
plinking, squirrels and rabbits

something else! Pick up a used Weihrauch hw97 or Air arms tx200!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf_8PymE9Ww hw97

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ksJdcC0qM tx200

These guys do great reviews on airguns and here's a video of each of the ones I mentioned. They are more than impressed with the Air arms and I know alot of hunters who swear by it :)

Originally Posted by bearhunter View Post
what ever you do, DO NOT get anything from UMAREXUSA...i got a walther talon magnum (.22cal) from them a little over a year ago. i recently sent it back for warrenty repair (the breech cracked where the barrel went into it), other than that it was in perfect condition. it only had maybe 70-100 pellets shot through it.
the rifle was sent UPS in the original packaging. they called a week or so saying that i would have to BUY a new one. they said that the stock was destroyed and tha the barrel was bent. BS...
i called UPS about the matter so they know what's up...i'm being scamed...
now they will not return calls or my emails. they have my property and refuse to cooperate with me. this is going to get ugly because i WILL NOT let them get away with this. the lady with UPS said that unfortunately this is a common scam with worthless company's. they want to recoup their cost by claiming UPS damaged the product. we have the paper work that it was received in good order. umarex are damn liars. do not do business with them.
i just wanted to give you and anyone else who reads this a heads up.
I realize this is an old thread but had to chime in and give my accounts with Umarex service. I have sent them 2 RWS 34 T06's (1 purchased in 2013/1 purchased in 2015) for warranty repair and had really pleasurable experiences on both occasions. The service department staff was very polite and professional and the turn around times were quicker than they originally stated. As for as the repair work the shot cycles are day and night difference as they are so much better than when each was first purchased new and received from Pyramyd Air; it is as if they had received a full pro tune. I am just an old guy that enjoys air rifle hunting and target shooting and am in no way associated with Umarex but would not hesitate to purchase another RWS rifle (with its lifetime wty. /18 months on mainspring/spring guide/seal) from their umbrella of many brands nor would I hesitate to send them another rifle for repair period; end of discussion.

Last edited:
Back