Albers Cutlery Company

Those fixed blades came out gorgeous, can you imagine one with stag scales? :) I know little to nothing about axis deer but I googled and they appear to produce pretty large antlers, I would camp out with my refresh button for a chance at that.

That's a pretty definitive statement. May I ask why? Just aesthetics?
Not necessarily I do love a blade that will patina and change over time. Personally I think carbon gets a sharper edge and is easily stropped. Just my 2 cents something about stainless slipjoints just doesn't interest me.

I, too, am a fan of high carbon steels - it hides the marks that working with a knife will usually bestow upon a blade (scratches, dings, etc.). However, CPM154 is an excellent stainless steel that sharpens easily and holds a good and keen edge - I would not let the fact that it is stainless deter me one bit from using a knife with that steel.

Not necessarily I do love a blade that will patina and change over time. Personally I think carbon gets a sharper edge and is easily stropped. Just my 2 cents something about stainless slipjoints just doesn't interest me.

Understood. I haven't really noticed that I've been able to get carbon steels sharper than stainless steels, but I have definitely noticed it take two to three times longer to strop stainless knives. With sharpening, it's been more steel dependent for me. For instance, I'm not able to get Elmax or D2 nearly as sharp as I'm able to get 12c27. On the carbon side of things, 1095 is often harder for me to sharpen than a lot of stainless steels because it's so commonly used, but actually isn't the easiest steel to properly heat treat. The majority of the time I blame heat treatment variances and blade geometry when I have sharpening woes (deburring aside), lol. 154CM and CPM-154 sharpen really, really nicely for me.

Anyways, I just like hearing why people prefer carbon over stainless and vice versa. I prefer carbon steels most of the time, but that's purely for the aesthetic reasons.

I was looking through my Albers Cutlery knives yesterday afternoon. It is not a large number of knives, three folders and one fixed blade. But of all the knives that I own these are absolutely the best bang for the buck! Great fit and finish, beautiful covers and sharp out of the box. I don’t really want to sound like a fanboy but I guess I am! Thank you Eric for your hard work and for bringing a smile to this 66 year old man!

What I really dig about Eric is his knowledge of history with makers and their patterns. Lots of goodness there that I’m sure is reflected in his works. One day I’ll be lucky enough to have at least one to walk it through some paces.

Back