Albers Cutlery Company

Just curious, Eric, do you plan to put shields on your stag offerings?

Mike that may be an issue. In order to finish a pinned shield it has to sit a bit proud of the covers so that I can sand the pin down without grinding away the surrounding stag. That means I'd need straight fairly even pieces to accomplish this. The majority of the stag out there definitely doesn't qualify. Most of it has deep grooves or uneven surfaces. Bringing the shield even with the low points would sink it below the point of being able to finish the pins properly, or even hammer them in many cases. That's why a majority of the old pinned shield knives had the best stag on the pile side and the smoother stag on the shield side. Much of it was straighter European stag too. Nowadays there's not enough around to cherry pic like that. I may do shields on pieces that would qualify though.

Eric

Mike that may be an issue. In order to finish a pinned shield it has to sit a bit proud of the covers so that I can sand the pin down without grinding away the surrounding stag. That means I'd need straight fairly even pieces to accomplish this. The majority of the stag out there definitely doesn't qualify. Most of it has deep grooves or uneven surfaces. Bringing the shield even with the low points would sink it below the point of being able to finish the pins properly, or even hammer them in many cases. That's why a majority of the old pinned shield knives had the best stag on the pile side and the smoother stag on the shield side. Much of it was straighter European stag too. Nowadays there's not enough around to cherry pic like that. I may do shields on pieces that would qualify though.

Eric
Thanks for the response, Eric!
Understood. I realize some of the challenges that exist with putting shields on stag, and I appreciate the more detailed explanation. I will be trying for one, regardless! Just got curious in the middle of the night…

Eric, I would not want to risk slowing you done but am curios if you ever post video of any of your process? I'm excited to see the ambitious box of clip point blades - time to start the web site stalking/camp out

It won't be 300 al at once, probably around 50 at a time. Geez it'd take me forever to do 300 at a time! LOL

Eric
I was just thinking that's one heck of a big run! :D :thumbsup:

Just wait until Eric releases the Lambsfoot... It's going to be a bloodbath, lol.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I think I speak for most Lambsfoot enthusiasts in saying that we are delighted that the design has gained popularity - due in no small part to Jack's diligence as an ambassador. On the other though, the proverbial "bloodbath" is highly discouraging. It is difficult enough on the best of days to find a quality example - watching a quality representation get crafted only to watch it poof under our fingertips is a hard one to swallow.

However, it's all part of the game. I eagerly await Eric's interpretation - I have no doubt it will be as fine as his jacks appear to be. I do hope that fortune looks more kindly upon me in the near future - I have an uncanny knack for being in the wrong place at the right time.

I have to include some Lambsfoot goodness:

fIC09PH.jpg

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I think I speak for most Lambsfoot enthusiasts in saying that we are delighted that the design has gained popularity - due in no small part to Jack's diligence as an ambassador. On the other though, the proverbial "bloodbath" is highly discouraging. It is difficult enough on the best of days to find a quality example - watching a quality representation get crafted only to watch it poof under our fingertips is a hard one to swallow.

However, it's all part of the game. I eagerly await Eric's interpretation - I have no doubt it will be as fine as his jacks appear to be. I do hope that fortune looks more kindly upon me in the near future - I have an uncanny knack for being in the wrong place at the right time.

I have to include some Lambsfoot goodness:

fIC09PH.jpg
Wonderful photo Dylan :) I'm looking forward to seeing Eric's Lambsfoot, and am sure it will be a wonderful knife, but I'm no good with lolly-scrambles, it was a complete fluke I got a forum knife! :D So good luck everyone :thumbsup:

Wonderful photo Dylan :) I'm looking forward to seeing Eric's Lambsfoot, and am sure it will be a wonderful knife, but I'm no good with lolly-scrambles, it was a complete fluke I got a forum knife! :D So good luck everyone :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack. I am no good in a lolly-scramble myself - -sometimes I get lucky but it's getting more infrequent. Regardless, it's going to be a real pleasure to see Eric's work - as always.

Badruig: First - oh my god what a selection! Second, would you mind me asking what knife the damascus bladed beauty clockwise at 1 o'clock after the red bone cover?

Thank you! The knife you mentioned is one of Jack Black's very limited SFOs - in fact I think there were only 20 (or was it 25?) pieces made with only 5 of them in Stag. It's a very special knife, like all of his SFOs.

Here is another shot of it - note the file work on the back spring.

UroakI9.jpg

Eric, how’s thing going in the shop and on the bench? I know you stated parts would be back in October for some single blade knives.

wanted to get this thread bumped.

Friendly post bump.

ea42 ea42 any updates on the single clips? Could you share pics of the different cover options??

Thanks

Still waiting on heat treat folks, it's killing me! Six week backlog which completely took me by surprise. I think I've got another week (hopefully less), I'll keep you posted.

Eric

Thank you, Jack. I am no good in a lolly-scramble myself - -sometimes I get lucky but it's getting more infrequent. Regardless, it's going to be a real pleasure to see Eric's work - as always.

Thank you! The knife you mentioned is one of Jack Black's very limited SFOs - in fact I think there were only 20 (or was it 25?) pieces made with only 5 of them in Stag. It's a very special knife, like all of his SFOs.

Here is another shot of it - note the file work on the back spring.

UroakI9.jpg
Thanks for the kind words Dylan :) Yes, only 20 with Damascus blades, 4 of each pattern :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words Dylan :) Yes, only 20 with Damascus blades, 4 of each pattern :thumbsup:
Are you in the right thread ???:oops::) Sorry, just read some of the above posts, my mistake, and before you ask, no i have not been drinking Today, though one might think so. I'll pull my head in now, and mind my own business.🤯🤯🤯🤯🤣

Are you in the right thread ???:oops::) Sorry, just read some of the above posts, my mistake, and before you ask, no i have not been drinking Today, though one might think so. I'll pull my head in now, and mind my own business.🤯🤯🤯🤯🤣
Yes, brief reply as I didn't want to hijack it! :D Sorry 😟 Happy Birthday mate :) :thumbsup:

Still waiting on heat treat folks, it's killing me! Six week backlog which completely took me by surprise. I think I've got another week (hopefully less), I'll keep you posted.

Eric
ea42 ea42 thanks for the update. Looking forward to your upcoming knives!

Back