Alternatives to Swamp Rats

BenchMyke said:
What could a Busse in the same blade length do that my SRK can't do? Besides drain someone's wallet?

BenchMyke said:
And it looks like someone seconded the overhyped issue.

What appears to be going on, is you have some kind of nonsensical grudge against two reputable knife companies. Is this because of that time several people explained to you about when it is appropriate to BTT a thread? Childish is an understatement.
:jerkit:

J85909266 said:
I was just noting that when a person referres to the hype surrounding the companies, they are most likely referring to the user hype rahter than any sort of advertising.

True, I guess technically user satisfaction creates hype by definition, but it is somewhat misleading, as people usually consider "hype" to have a negative connotation.

Over hyped is going too far, IMO, but people should come to their own conclusions.

Using words like "over hyped" can mislead the reader into believing that the performance of Swamp Rat and Busse Combat blades is exaggerated. The word "hype" can also mean "to deceive".

Busse and Swamp Rat continue to stand as the ONLY manufacturers in the cutlery industry to have publicly proven our performance claims in "LIVE" demonstrations at major knife shows. We have set performance records in cutting and destructive tests that have, not only, NEVER been neared in a "LIVE" demonstration by any other manufacturer but that have also NEVER been attempted by any other manufacturer. . . . and believe me, I have invited most of them to step up publicly.

There are plenty of good knives out there that are made by a host of other makers and manufacturers. However, before you go lumping other knives in with those made by the Busse family and declaim our knives as being "over hyped", be sure to look at the actual proven performance of these other manufacturer's knives as proven by them in "LIVE" public demos. . . . it simply isn't there.

We have, what has been described by many, as the most loyal and dedicated customers in the cutlery industry. We are very fortunate to have such a following. It is, likewise, important to note that this loyalty and dedication is firmly rooted in the real and proven performance of our blades, not in imagined and unproven "hype".

Let's drink!!! :D

Jerry

You'll just never know what it can do until you TRY beat the hell out of a Busse.
(You won't) :D
Also:
Jerry stands so far behind his guarantee you have use binoculars. Or something like that.

Old Painless said:
what about the ontario rat series? how does that line measure up?

I'm a big fan of 'em. Got the Rat-3, a pair of Rat-7's, and an RTAK. I think each is at or under $100. Solid performers, and I can't think of anything not to like about them.

cheers

How could I forget Fehrman! Pretty good knives. Price range is between Busse and Swamp Rat, bit closer to Busse, however they have stable model line and pretty tough steel on their knives.

Thanks, Vassili.

Before you buy, check out the Trident Knives at http://www.tridentknives.com/
I have an Oberland 01 and have a TCFM 02 coming in the mail. If you want "tough", the TCFM was tested by a German knife magazine and it took 2,800 pounds to break the blade.

I like'em!

Ciao
Ron
:)

Though his knives cost more than Swamp Rat, Bill Siegle's knives are very reasonably priced and would certainly be worth taking a look at.

Rat Finkenstein said:
What appears to be going on, is you have some kind of nonsensical grudge against two reputable knife companies. Is this because of that time several people explained to you about when it is appropriate to BTT a thread? Childish is an understatement.
:jerkit:

I don't need anyone to tell me when it's appropriate to BTTT a thread. That's my decision. As far as the Busse issue concern of yours, I don't need to spend 4 to 500 dollars on a knife when a $30 SRK will do anything I want it to. Some of the people on here act like if you don't have a Busse/Rat then you don't have a knife. I believe Busse/Rats are excellent knives. I just don't like the snobby one up crowd that has spawned out of this knife's circle. IMO most of the people who have Busse's don't even use them. My close friend has around 12 of these knives. They are all unused and he doesn't want anyone to touch them for fear of leaving fingerprint residue on the blades. I'm the opposite, I believe all a guy needs is a Storm II for a folder and a SRK as a fixed blade. You wanna call me childish cause I don't stand up here and preach the gospel on Busse/Rats. Anytime you wanna go camping, hunting, or fishing with me; let's go. I'll bring my 2 knives for under $70 and you bring your $700 worth of Busse/Rats and I'll show you what I mean about hype.

Personally, I think people that look down on others because they prefer expensive knives are just as bad as those that look down on folks that prefer inexpensive knives. I don't see any difference between the two. Both are jackasses.

By the way, where do you get an SRK for $30.00? All the internet dealers I have seen sell them for between $55.00 and $65.00.

BenchMyke said:
I don't need anyone to tell me when it's appropriate to BTTT a thread. That's my decision.
Apparently you do, or at least did. . .

so it seems I was right about your motivation:rolleyes:

BenchMyke said:
As far as the Busse issue concern of yours, I don't need to spend 4 to 500 dollars on a knife when a $30 SRK will do anything I want it to.

Nobody ever told you to buy one, and nobody really cares what you like to use.
That's your prerogative.

BenchMyke said:
Some of the people on here act like if you don't have a Busse/Rat then you don't have a knife.

That is in all your head.
Name one person.

BenchMyke said:
I believe Busse/Rats are excellent knives. I just don't like the snobby one up crowd that has spawned out of this knife's circle. IMO most of the people who have Busse's don't even use them. My close friend has around 12 of these knives. They are all unused and he doesn't want anyone to touch them for fear of leaving fingerprint residue on the blades.

Again, name someone from this "snobby club" you are imagining.
Painting with a pretty wide brush there- I use the hell out of all my Busse and Swamp Rat knives. I guess you simply do not know what you are talking about (big surprise:rolleyes: )

-Why are you complaining to me about what your friend does with his stuff?

Again, why do you care what someone does or does not do with their possessions?

BenchMyke said:
I'm the opposite, I believe all a guy needs is a Storm II for a folder and a SRK as a fixed blade.
Opposite of what? the unnamed people you imagine think and act a certain way, although they are all part of your paranoid delusions?

BenchMyke said:
You wanna call me childish cause I don't stand up here and preach the gospel on Busse/Rats.

No, I called you childish for attacking two reputable knife companies because several people in a different forum tried to educate you about BTT'ing threads.
That isn't just childish, it is patently ridiculous.

I don't care if you "don't stand and preach", etc. . . but why stand and spew baseless nonsense?

BenchMyke said:
Anytime you wanna go camping, hunting, or fishing with me; let's go. I'll bring my 2 knives for under $70 and you bring your $700 worth of Busse/Rats and I'll show you what I mean about hype.

I don't even think you know what (you) "mean about hype".
Nobody ever told you to buy a Busse, so why do you act like you are being pressured to do so? By all means, enjoy your knives. I don't personally care to buy $1500+ customs, but I sure as hell don't try to belittle those who do so.

Please point out where anyone criticized you for liking your knives.

Then why do you have to respond to all of my post? If you don't care, then just shut up? Simple. I have the right to voice my opinion on here also. Don't need you running behind all my post and trying to pop off and make me look stupid. I never said anyone was tryin to push Busse's on me did I? It all started with me saying sharpened pry bars aren't my thing. That's my opinion, you don't like it? tuff, get over it and bounce off.

BenchMyke said:
Then why do you have to respond to all of my post? If you don't care, then just shut up? Simple.

Because I decide what I will do, and I don't like the nonsense you are spouting.
As usual, you refuse to face up to your BS, probably haven’t even read what I wrote.

You are free to take your own advice, and “shut up” at any time- but I would prefer if you simply stopped stirring the pot (especially since you have no idea what the ingredients are).

If I'm stirring the pot why do you keep responding? You waiting for me to tell you you're right and I'm wrong? Not going to happen. I decide what I'll do also. Do you have much luck on here trying to convince people they don't know what they're talking about? If you don't like my opinion then like already said; tuff. Who are you to decide who's opinions are nonsense?

BenchMyke said:
What could a Busse in the same blade length do that my SRK can't do?

Cut better for longer, have a much wider scope of work as it is more durable in the blade and handle, resist corrosion better, and has a much better warrenty and can be customized to the user from the manufacturer.

The Swamp Rat knives are highly praised because of their performance, they have earned their place unlike many others who try to sell based on name or association with a name.

-Cliff

Hey Rat, IMHO you are out of line on this one. Your Zeal is (has always been) duly noted.... but you'll get no further points for continuing your argument.

Myke - you have received some great recommendations for your consideration. I agree with your previous posts, ....buy one of the recommended "readily" available models and let us know how it performs. I am sure you will be pleased!

As For my own recommendation (see my profile for my pedigree) , I would think a Ranger knife, one of the Ontario RATS , a BRK&T knife or you may want to check out a knife by http://www.mineralmountain.com/ or possibly one from http://www.edmfknives.com/ 8 Dollar Mtn Foundry.

BenchMyke said:
If I'm stirring the pot why do you keep responding?

Why not? I have a bigger spoon.

BenchMyke said:

You waiting for me to tell you you're right and I'm wrong?
Not going to happen.
Nope.

BenchMyke said:
I decide what I'll do also. Do you have much luck on here trying to convince people they don't know what they're talking about? If you don't like my opinion then like already said; tuff. Who are you to decide who's opinions are nonsense?

well, you don't know what you are talking about, but you might be in denial.
Maybe it is pathological.

I am who I am, and I can easily distinguish the difference between valid and illogical arguments.

BTW, "tuff" is a type of volcanic rock.:D

Hillbillenigma said:
Hey Rat, IMHO you are out of line on this one. Your Zeal is (has always been) duly noted.... but you'll get no further points for continuing your argument.

Myke - you have received some great recommendations for your consideration. I agree with your previous posts, ....buy one of the recommended "readily" available models and let us know how it performs. I am sure you will be pleased!

As For my own recommendation (see my profile for my pedigree) , I would think a Ranger knife, one of the Ontario RATS , a BRK&T knife or you may want to check out a knife by http://www.mineralmountain.com/ or possibly one from http://www.edmfknives.com/ 8 Dollar Mtn Foundry.

I am not looking for points, and this arguement is pointless, since my posts are not being read by the intended recipient.

just a point to clarify- Myke was not the one looking for recommendations, he just jumped in with some pot stirring. I admit it has gotten quite off track.

Good suggestion of the Mineral mountain knives, I had forgotten about them- impressive knives. I will have to look at the EDMF's as I have never heard of them.

Now- Back on track with the original thread. . .

PS: BM, head to W&C if you want to argue with me. Start an anti-R.F. thread or something.;)

Click for full sized image.

I believe that pretty much speaks for itself... Yet another vote for Ranger Knives.

Kyp

Back