1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Alternatives to Swamp Rats

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Ian111, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2005
    I second the HI suggestion.:thumbup:

If you want a warranty, take note that you must buy it from HI, as it does not extend to knives on the secondary market.
    The chance of breaking one is almost nonexistant, however.

2. STEVENKIM

STEVENKIM

Nov 28, 2005
    "boys and their toys"

3. nozh2002

nozh2002 Banned BANNED

Jun 9, 2003
    G-Sakai Bosen Enkuto - with laminated powder metallurgy high carbon high speed steel SRS15 63HRC (also high tungsten, high chromium, high vanadium and high molibden), convex grind 6 1/2" x 1/4 " x 1" - $170

http://www.gsakai.co.jp/jp/english/shop/shop_gsaka6.html
    [​IMG]

J.P.Peltonen - SissiPukko M95 - handforged carbon steel, full flat grind 6" x 0.22" x 15/16" ~$90

[​IMG]

Thanks, Vassili.

4. fdchase

fdchase

Dec 17, 2005
    recently purchased a 16.5" Chiruwa and 12" Villager from HI. great tools. check out their forum here. it is very friendly and informative. you can find many pics of their khukuris on display and in use there.

during my wait for SR knives, i purchased the RD7 and HI knives expressly for their reputations of toughness and quality. i was happy that they also happened to be in a price range that i was willing to spend on a knife. have not been disappointed.

do others prioritize features they look for in a knife? in what order do they fall?

5. sawgrass7

sawgrass7 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Hey Hachetjack -
    what is that sweet first blade in the picture of the 3? A Ranger?
    thanks.

6. Angelus1781

Angelus1781

Feb 22, 2003

Thats exactly why I own both. Its money well spent knowing I will have these knives for life whatever happens.

7. hatchetjack

hatchetjack

May 24, 2005
    Yes, it's a Ranger RAK with micarta handles. Glad you like it.

Hatchetjack-