Alternatives to Swamp Rats

Hondo.3 said:
Himilayan Imports makes tough knives. Their prices are reasonable, and they stand behind their products. A Kumar Karda is a solid piece with a 6" blade of handforged 3/16" 5160. It costs $60. Mine was shaving sharp. If you can see the character in the imperfections, it might be a good knife for you.

Then, of course, there are the khukuris. You can get a lot of steel for your dollar. The guarantee on their Chiruwa Ang Khola is crazy. If you can break it, they'll give you two. Not even Busse and Swamp Rat offer a guarantee like that.

I second the HI suggestion.:thumbup:

If you want a warranty, take note that you must buy it from HI, as it does not extend to knives on the secondary market.
The chance of breaking one is almost nonexistant, however.

G-Sakai Bosen Enkuto - with laminated powder metallurgy high carbon high speed steel SRS15 63HRC (also high tungsten, high chromium, high vanadium and high molibden), convex grind 6 1/2" x 1/4 " x 1" - $170

http://www.gsakai.co.jp/jp/english/shop/shop_gsaka6.html
G-Sakai-Bosen-Enkuto-008.jpg

J.P.Peltonen - SissiPukko M95 - handforged carbon steel, full flat grind 6" x 0.22" x 15/16" ~$90

jppeltonensissipuukko-10.jpg

Thanks, Vassili.

recently purchased a 16.5" Chiruwa and 12" Villager from HI. great tools. check out their forum here. it is very friendly and informative. you can find many pics of their khukuris on display and in use there.

during my wait for SR knives, i purchased the RD7 and HI knives expressly for their reputations of toughness and quality. i was happy that they also happened to be in a price range that i was willing to spend on a knife. have not been disappointed.

do others prioritize features they look for in a knife? in what order do they fall?

Walking Man said:
Last part first. ABSOLUTELY WRONG! INFI is excellent in the corrosion resistant area.
Second of all. BUSSE knives aren't going to fail on you. They aren't. SRKs can do all the stuff in the PROOF videos, however, as stated on the videos, much of it is considered gross abuse by CS. NOT BY BUSSE! If you're using a SRK roughly and it breaks because of a bad heat treat or other flaw, you're NOT going to get your money back. You'll get a kick in the pants. I want a knife I can rely on, and is backed up by a guarantee. You just never know.

Thats exactly why I own both. Its money well spent knowing I will have these knives for life whatever happens.

sawgrass7 said:
Hey Hachetjack -
what is that sweet first blade in the picture of the 3? A Ranger?
thanks.
Yes, it's a Ranger RAK with micarta handles. Glad you like it.

Hatchetjack-

Back