Altoids Tin Survival Kit

I suspect that other people besides me have a small survival kit stashed in an Altoids tin. My tin includes:
SAK
Firesteel
Lockpick and torque wrench
Nail
Needle and thread
Jute twine (for cordage/tinder combo)
Mirror
Patch
Duct tape

The tin is held together with a ranger band made of a rubber tube. I still need to fit a compass and some kind of wax for a candle. What is in your Altoids tin survival kit. And it doesn't have to be an Altoids tin, but the kit has to be small like one! Whats in yours?!!?

Mine is in a Kriega Stash pouch:http://www.kriega.us/stash-motorcycle-organizer-wallet/.

It can go on a belt or fit easily into a cargo pants or jacket pocket.

It contains:

Buck Smidgen
Vic Classic
Button compass
AMK Heet Sheet
Masonry string
Snare wire
LED zipper pull light
Whistle
Tea light candle
Solid fuel tab
Life boat matches
Book matches
Fire steel
Water purification tabs
Fishing line, hooks, sinkers, swivels
Needles and thread
Wire saw
A few minor first aid items

I'd like to add an MRE beverage bag for compact water collection.

Last edited:
I am working on a "tin"for myself and my daughters but it it actually 2 small clear plastic bottles(walmart brand sanitizer 8 oz.) that I cut about 3/4 of the way and just use the bottom halves,I then heat one just slightly(hair Dryer) and It shrinks just enough so that one fits inside the other and its awesome you can see all the contents easily,it's waterproof,converts to 2 emergency cups if needed.will send pics if somebodies interested here's the contents.
Sak,
lighter
whistle
led light
sewing kit
small sak pen(from the bay)
advil
neosporin
bandaids
alka -seltzer
antibacterial wipes
1/2 papertowel
toothpicks

Sweet little kit. Ive heard talk of foldable tin cups up to 5 oz.? I would want to add one of those to my tin. If my firesteel didnt have a handle on it id be able to fit more in my tin. I gotta do some shifting with the gear. I love these small discrete survival kits..

I'm making these for handy use or for the glove box,I am also going to put one together that has contents similar to yours for camping or backpacking- they are fun to put together ,they can get a little spendy if you have to buy the saks new.

Well i was trying to put together some kind of kit and decided to just do a small one. I already had the sak. But i totally agree. The SAKs can add up.

I am working on a "tin"for myself and my daughters but it it actually 2 small clear plastic bottles(walmart brand sanitizer 8 oz.) that I cut about 3/4 of the way and just use the bottom halves,I then heat one just slightly(hair Dryer) and It shrinks just enough so that one fits inside the other and its awesome you can see all the contents easily,it's waterproof,converts to 2 emergency cups if needed.will send pics if somebodies interested here's the contents.
Sak,

lighter
whistle
led light
sewing kit
small sak pen(from the bay)
advil
neosporin
bandaids
alka -seltzer
antibacterial wipes
1/2 papertowel
toothpicks

I'd be interested if you don't mind - thanks.

I don't have a survival kit in an Altoids tin, but I usually have a candy tin in my survival kit. Does that count? :D

Hi all,

G. Moll, here is mine little survival kit that I carry.
IMG_0610-4.jpg

I also have just a little bigger pouch that I am able to add a AMK survival blanket/shelter and wrist compass into it.

IMG_0624-1.jpg

I have changed out a few items from time to time right now I have this little fixed blade knife
IMG_0166-1.jpg

and a Nano striker ferro rod with it is water proof container in my survival kit pouch.

Bryan

I bought one of these, and added $100 in 20's, one of those small twist lights (immitation picco or something like that), a couple antibiotic packs and electrical tape around the lid to seal it. I still want to add a couple alcohol wipes thus far.(borrowed video)
[video=youtube;K0B5j11rtxU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0B5j11rtxU[/video]

Last edited:
here is mine little survival kit that I carry.
IMG_0610-4.jpg

Bryan, I'm not going to ask how you fit that giant piece of cardboard in your pocket. But well done.

Seriously, though, carrying SAK pliers separately like that is brilliant. I never thought of that.

I got one, lost power for a few days so I kept myself entertained making one.

On the back of the can I glued 600 grit sandpaper, and a fire strike pad on the lid. With the smooth metal bottom the can kept sliding everywhere. With the sandpaper it stays where I set it.

Water proof matches, a good amount.
Cotton cloth with balm on it wrapped around matches. Ends are filled with lint/wax for fire starter.
Cloth can work for wounds or for making a fire
Fishing line, sinker, flies, hooks, power bait.
Duct tape
led key chain light
Floss
bandaids
bouillon cubes (might be a bad idea)
razor blade.
Sewing kit
I put a small altoids tin inside the big one. Works good for the small stuff. Put rougher sand paper on back of this one and another strike strip.
zip ties
cotton balls
mini diaper pins
Q-tips
Alcohol wipe
Ointment
Super Glue
I tried to polish the inside lid to make it a mirror like, got it a little more reflective but not much.

I just opened my kit and the bouillon cubes got all over everything. I went to the ocean a few days ago, I dont think they can handle the humidity. Not good for the North West.

Pvvm5.jpg

Last edited:
I've come to the opinion that for a PSK that's designed to potentially serve as a stand alone kit (not necessarily a supplement to the EDC), instead of trying to cram as much stuff as possible into one, it's better to focus on the most important things and don't skimp. Then if you have room left over for nice to have stuff, go for it.

Here's one I'm still working on (I forgot to include a whistle and it's pretty full so I'm going to see if I can find a small one lol)

tin4.jpg

To give an example, I used to carry gerber breastmilk bags in my tobacco tin sized kit. They'd barely fit with all the stuff I have in there, and while they're nice and durable, they aren't the right size for the purification tablets and I didn't want to have to fiddle with cutting the tablets to size so they weren't wasted. Instead I switched to the whirlpak bags -- true one liter, still really durable, and I can just use one tablet per bag. But they're bigger and I had to rearrange my tin and lose some things -- but to me, it's worth it.

Another example, shelter... I can't carry one in my PSK, but I can carry the tools to make one. Instead of a wire saw which widely vary in quality, I included one of the pocket chainsaws. It has the further benefit of laying flat in the bottom of the tin.

A knife... well, tiny altoids tin knives are better than nothing (and better than razor blades IMO) but after having used a few, they're just so uncomfortable to use for any length of time. Now, if your kit is just to supplement your EDC (where your primary knife is) that's great, it's just a last ditch backup, but I wanted to make sure this would be sufficient even if I had nothing else.

I've really been meaning to make one of these but I never seem to get around to it. I really wouldn't even know where to start or what I'd need.

My kit concentrates on three things, first shelter which includes a survival blanket that is ranger-banded to the outside of the tin. To me shelter also includes fire so I have a small Bic lighter, those ridiculous storm/waterproof matches (about 5) and some of that commercial tinder that is waterproof also there is a small Gerber lock back for shelter building assistance. The second thing is water so I have two Gerber breast milk bags (I know, I know) and seven water purification tablets. Third is signaling so I have a whistle, a small led light, and the inside of the tin is polished shiny for a signal mirror.

So there you have my basics shelter, water, and signaling. I also put other items in there once these three essentials are taken care of like a folded up 24"x24" piece of aluminum foil, three antihistamine capsules in case someone in my party is allergic to ants or bees or whatever, and some heavy cloth band-aids. Also there is about two feet of gorilla duct tape holding the tin shut. The boy scout troop made these up with my help (I'm one of the dads) and we all carry them in our pant pocket on every outing. They are designed to allow a scout (or dad) to weather the elements for up to 72 hours if they get lost. I think they're a great idea.

Powernoodle, LOL I just fold up the card board, it fits just fine:D.

About 20 years back I was at a knife store in Palms springs Ca. they were going out of business. they had everything 1/2 price. I bought several of the big swiss champs. ( I had ideas on taking one fo them apart lol).
Them little pliers are really handy for sewing being able to grab on to the needle and push or pull it through heavy material really helps. I have used them to take off ticks, also the little wire cutters really do a good job of cutting thin wire.

All in all I think they really add to my kit.

Bryan

MY pocket kit has -
Mini-BIC lighter
Strike Anywhere Matches
Fatwood sticks
Asprin & Benadryl
Poncho(cheap wal-mart)
Bandaids
Case Caliber Lockback folder
Razor Blade
P35 can opener
Jute twine
12' 550 cord
cottonballs

photo18.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

I made this one for my girlfriend, recently she wrote me an email telling me how much she uses it and loves it, and feels naked with out it ;) too bad she ain't

Bandaids and alcohol pads taped to the top
x2 hairbands
a paperclip
Mini Bic lighter
Fenix e01 flashlight
Leatherman Micra Multitool
Sewing kit - safety pins, threads, needles, buttons, 3' measuring tape
Female sanitary product
Neosporin in a straw
150 yards of dental floss wrapped in tin foil to keep things from sticking to the wax
and some fatwood for potential fire starting
+ a handful of medication - tylenol, allergy, ect

Last edited:
Im getting lots of ideas from these pics guy. Thanks!
sicily02, did you make the small fixed blade?

Back