"Always carry a pocket knife"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a sunny crisp day, and with school out for the holidays, I took the grandkids to the zoo. The Washngton zoo has had some very big renovations recently and we made a trip down. Yes there's knife content here, hold on.

Durring our meandering, I got a cup of coffee for me, and cokes for the kids and as we walked I finished off my coffee. As I walked over to a trash can, I saw an older gent like me, with what could only be his grandson. They were by the trash can and the grandad had bought a little something for the boy at the zoo gift shop. Of course it was in one of those plastic blister pack things that are designed to defeat any accsess exept for proffesional demo experts. Or someone with a sharp knife.

The older gent had a small pocket knife in his hand, and was telling the boy that it was an important thing for a man to have a pocket knife, and that it did not have to be big, just good quality and sharp. The boy was listening with very rapt attention as his grandad slit open the package. As I tossed in my empty styrofoam cup I could not help but to say to the both of them "more true words have never been spoken".

The old man held up what looked like a two blade jack and proudly told me that he'd had that knife for almost 25 years. I took an interest and he showed me what turned out to be an old Kabar carbon steel jack about 3 1/4 inches. Both blades showed alot of wear, but no abuse, and were very sharp. In turn I took out my little Case peanut and he examined it with relish. As he handed it back to me, he said almost sadly "There ain't many of us left"

I knew to what he was refering, and I told him about this site, and the guys who still loved the old style knives, but most of all that there were some of the young guys coming over to the traditional side. This cheered him up and we talked old guns, old cars, knives, and the grandkids, both his and mine listened well. His grandson was a bit younger than mine, and Ryan showed the mans grandson, named Mike, his own Case peanut in a very proud mannor. Mike's grandad promised him a pocket knife on his next birthday.

I'd like to think that we're saving some of the future generation from being assimilated into the ranks of the sheeple. It did my old heart good to see another grandad with his grandkid, teaching him some of the good stuff. He and I made plans to get together in the future as we're not far apart in the Maryland suburbs, to get the kids out for fishing and airgun practice together. Bob, (the gent) has an old Benjamin he's been teaching some basic airgun marksmenship to the boy, as I have been with Ryan since he turned 9, with an old Crossman 760. I hope one day Ryan will inherit my Fienwerkebau.

Today I felt some hope for the future generations.

Still a few and I hope to be passing forward that a good knife should always be handy

Another fantastic post man. :thumbup: It gives me a warm feeling reading through your posts, I feel like i'm learning something new each time. :)

So you ever gonna right all this stuff down into a book? :D

Thanks, Jackknife. That story brings back memories, and causes me to look forward to future memories I hope to have with my kids and their kids.

Great thing to read before signing off.

I too am enjoying the younger folks participating here. I think in some cases there is an evolution from bigger single blade folders to knives better suited to what we encounter each day as we age.

JK,

You REALLY Should think about writing for a publication. Knife World might be interested.

I had a heating/airconditioning guy over yesterday servicing my system before we sell this house...anyway, he had to cut off a plastic cover off the freon bottle. He pulls out a stockman pattern, I believe it was an older Buck model. I didn't say a word, just watched as he opened it, did the job, and then put it quietly back in his pocket. I've known the guy casually for about 15 yrs and he is around 45 yrs old. So, there are a good bit of traditional guys left in all age ranges...thankfully. Old traditions seem to find a way to live on.

JK,

You REALLY Should think about writing for a publication. Knife World might be interested.

I did some writing for Knife World back in the late 80's when Houston Price was editer there. I think I sold something like 5 or so articles to Houston. I'm thinking of sitting down and carefully writing a book about my outdoor experiances of childhood, the army, and after in civilian life. I stopped writing about 1990 because I lost interest in the field and the heavy popularity of styles of knives I just had no interest in. I did'nt like where the train was going, so I just got off at the next stop. I'm just too pragmatic for ninja fantacies, and refused to write praising things I felt were bad designs, no matter what they paid me. I stopped writing and now I'm so out of practice I don't know if I can do it again.

Besides, how many people really want to read the meandering musings of an old fart?

Besides, how many people really want to read the meandering musings of an old fart?

I just read your entire thread :)

Reading this made me remember my grandfather and how he always had a pocketknife with him, two of which I now own after he has passed a few years ago. At the age of 21, I carry everyday and have been since I've gotten out of high school. I used to carry during the summers or weekends out on my little 'adventures' with friends or alone. Since, I've gotten my own father to carry a Buck Prince that I gave to him as a present and to even buy himself a Lansky sharpening kit to keep it sharp.

People my own age neither see the need for a knife or appreciate how useful it is to carry one on their person. Living half an hour outside of NYC leaves most around here with the impression that a knife is only a weapon or something brought along for rare hunting/fishing trips, I'm just lucky to have a girlfriend who is interested in knives and has started carrying before I met her. Let's not let this tradition die on younger people :thumbup:

It is always interesting to share experience from older people with younger, go on writing, old fart I don't know but your vocabulary and style are proper and you're the kind of person I can read from the beginning to the end without the help of my dictionnary.:D
Regards

Not to be greedy (and I doubt I am the only one who feels this way;)), but I do.

I feel that we are very fortunate to have you posting those "meandering musings" here. You have an artful way of blending people and knives that have meaning, in words that hit home to many.

I enjoyed your post. Its nice to read about the real truth of knives and their place in people's lives from a positive point of view.

Keep the threads coming JK, I for one, do not get tired of reading real life experiences, especially where, it combines the interest in knives we all share.

Rusty1

Not to be greedy (and I doubt I am the only one who feels this way;)), but I do.

I feel that we are very fortunate to have you posting those "meandering musings" here. You have an artful way of blending people and knives that have meaning, in words that hit home to many.

What he said :). Keep them coming Jackknife :thumbup:

Well, I certainly do!!!
In fact, every time I log on I'm hoping to see some more of your "meandering musings".
In my eyes, reading about and seeing all of those fine knives in this forum is something I truly enjoy, but reading your stories about USING the knives is something that goes way beyond that.
Keep'em coming jackknife! This forum would be much poorer without your stories.

/ Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back