1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

amazon no longer shipping assisted knives to some states

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by lemonslush, Nov 8, 2017.

1. lemonslush

lemonslush

Aug 13, 2012
    I live in MA and just finished arguing with the useless support staff. Anytime I tried to purchase an assisted opening knife (which by the way is 100% legal in my state) It wouldn't let me. Saying they cant ship knives that are restricted to my state.

I tried my best to show them the knife laws for MA and they are useless and just continued to site the policy link which I read that contains zero information.

Figured I would pass this along to anyone who lives in MA and my guess (ca, ny, il ) you may have issues buying an assisted knife from amazon.

2. Chippa

Chippa

Apr 20, 2017
    Yep same here in NY

3. Blues Bender

Blues Bender Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    What does IL have to do with this? I can legally carry a switchblade here. Besides, I would support one of the dealers that are authorized on this forum rather than give my money to big-business like Amazon:poop::rolleyes:

4. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    probably a good thing. if ya look at it the right way.

wont get a used or fake from amazon anymore and will support good solid dealers who actually want your business and care about the community.

soap boxing i did aside...good info op thanks for the heads up.

Rahul_Does, jimmyd1982 and lemonslush like this.
  5. tyyreaun

tyyreaun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Shipping to California is fine. Despite the bad rep California gets, our state knife laws are actually fairly reasonable - pretty much anything normal is legal, other than autos over 2". Individual counties and cities may vary (looking at you, LA).

You won't get anywhere with regular customer support - they don't have the power to fix it. I have heard you can get things done by emailing Bezos directly - jeff at amazon.com. He's got a dedicated staff that scans customer emails sent to him, and forwards them to the people who can actually fix things, like the category manager for knives, in this case. You could try that. No guarantees, of course.

Rahul_Does and jbmonkey like this.
  6. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Solution
    Don't buy assisted opening knives, and don't buy knives from Amazon :thumbsup:
    Seriously though, Amazon sucks.

sam eib and BigKurtHaze like this.
  7. schaffer88

schaffer88

May 6, 2017
    I've been loosing my faith in Amazon. Prime and all that goes along with it is great. My wife and I use it enough to make it worth while. Last week I got some counterfeit Streamlights.

jbmonkey likes this.
  8. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    I do NOT shop amazon. The following is just basic info.

There are no limitations to owning. Only carrying.

MA. This is basically the 2017 version.

§ 10. Weapons — Dangerous Weapons — Unlawfully Carrying.

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Rahul_Does likes this.
  9. whitty

whitty Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Aug 25, 2005
    Yeah!!! More business for dealers who actually give a damn about knives and less business for Amazon!

Sorry for your headache but I really hate Amazon!

10. gonebad395

gonebad395 Ironworker!

May 19, 2015
    What's wrong with assisted knives? If it's not your cup of tea that's fine. But a general statement like that is kinda foolish since it's a knife forum and assisted knives are a huge portion of the knife industry. As for the Amazon part of the thread kids see this as good thing for all the BF dealers here. Amazon doesn't care at all about customer service. Saving 11.00$ Over adealer here on a knife and may get a fake to buy from Amazon no thanks.

11. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I was joking about assisted knives.

12. Sword of Morning

Sword of Morning

Dec 6, 2008
    I can confirm that amazon won't ship any knives with a flipper to my location on NY. It doesn't even need to be spring assisted. I mainly utilize amazon for their amazingly cheap overnight shipping with prime. However, I have no problems purchasing elsewhere and just waiting a little longer.

13. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Won’t have any issues ordering from the great dealers here.
    I won’t buy any knives off Amazon.
    Joe

14. emjay4248

emjay4248 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 8, 2016
    New York city only. if you live outside the 5 Boro's I believe that they will ship to you.

15. neffarious

neffarious Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Amazon is great for a lot of things. Dog food, some toys, tents etc. Knives not so much. Fishing gear not do much. They ship rods in boxes taped to the inside, not a hard packed tube.

16. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I believe you are mistaken.
    I don't live anywhere near the five boroughs; and have experienced the same when attempting to purchase a/o knives from Amazon. Granted, that was before I knew better... but the fact remains that I could have gone to a local gun - or sporting goods - shop & bought the same knives that Amazon wouldn't ship (albeit at a substantially padded price)

17. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Nope.
    Amazon cancelled an order for a locking/non-assisted/thumb stud folder on me a couple of years ago (fulfilled by a reputable dealer), and I live way upstate in the sticks.
    I stick with the forum dealers now almost exclusively.

palonej likes this.
  18. emjay4248

emjay4248 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Your absolutely right. I tried to buy one recently and they wouldn't ship to N.Y, N.J, M.A., I finally got them to ship them to Michigan. I am not sure what is going on but they are worse than the regular vendors.

19. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    I've read on a couple dealers websites that they won't ship to NY addresses too.

20. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Not too sure about Amazon & NJ.
    My son surprised me with a PM2 from them. I had no clue and was thrilled I got a real one.
    They shipped it to me last summer in NJ no problem.
    Joe