...And a large Coke. GEC 97 Thread!

Didn't take long did it?
pnt05qW.jpg

smh

I saw that... & he has x2 of them. There's a third being sold by another guy for $384.99 + shipping. I know it shouldn't make me so heated, but it does. Just grinds my gears.

They are greedy, opportunistic pond scum...… If I were a dealer, that city in Florida would be on my "Do not sell to" list.....

They are greedy, opportunistic pond scum...… If I were a dealer, that city in Florida would be on my "Do not sell to" list.....
I agree... It's not as serious, but it's the same type of person/mentality that buys up pharmaceutical rights and promptly jacks the price up through the roof. I'm a flawed man, but my parents raised me better than that.

Last edited:
I agree... It's not as serious, but it's the same type of person/mentality that buys up pharmaceutical rights and promptly jacks the price up through the roof. I'm a flawed man, but my parents raised me better than that.

The irksome part is he/she knew they were throwing the weinie to a fellow knife enthusiast by flipping the knives...… Some poor slob ( You & I ) who would have loved that knife for our collection is now without a knife unless we surrender to highway robbery & pay the ransom……… As I say; Greedy, Unscrupulous Pond Scum...……….

I do hope he got them at two different dealers instead of one dealer selling 2 of 8 to one customer.
I hope so Mike, but the only places I have seen them listed is KSF & The Knife Connection (And I'm watching every dealer Charlie has a relationship with like a hawk... windows open, logged in, refreshing regularly). You would have to have some incredible luck to land one at two separate dealers with such small offerings to the dealers. As much traffic as these drops generate it would be almost impossible IMO.

Makes me wonder why GEC allows small numbers of SFOs to be made in noticeable more desirable handle scales or shields etc, and sells them at about the same price, when they could just make the normal run to that standard. Would not be hard and would make a lot of their customers a lot happier.

IMG_3972.JPG

Very pleased with my two 97s. Both are incredible in fit and finish. The ebony is the blackest of black and the yellow really pops. GEC nailed it on this run, especially at this price point. Had fleeting hope of picking up one of Charlie's SFO, but thats not gonna happen, but very content with what I have.

Makes me wonder why GEC allows small numbers of SFOs to be made in noticeable more desirable handle scales or shields etc, and sells them at about the same price, when they could just make the normal run to that standard. Would not be hard and would make a lot of their customers a lot happier.

How it shakes out:
GEC only had room to allow me 100 knives for an SFO.
That shield on it was my idea of what would look great on that large knife,
and the cost was high!! My profit is very little in this case, even though the retail price is higher than most other versions. Sigh . . . . . . . .
I respect CK and other dealers for limiting the sales, in order to curb speculation. But free enterprise exists, and is a two-edged sword!!:eek:
And remember, it takes two to tango!:rolleyes:
(That's all the boring sayings I can think of!!:D)

Also keep in mind that just because something is listed at a high price on an auction site doesn’t mean it will ever sell.

I see many nice GEC knives on auction site that never sell because the prices are absurd.

Also keep in mind that just because something is listed at a high price on an auction site doesn’t mean it will ever sell.

I see many nice GEC knives on auction site that never sell because the prices are absurd.

Prices can be absurd!! I know of a private deal for a Grinling Whittler that sold for $1000!!
I am happy that these #97s are so beautiful!! I will probably wind up with two or three. The pair that Matt_WY (above or below) has is amazing!!:thumbsup:

View attachment 1116666

Very pleased with my two 97s. Both are incredible in fit and finish. The ebony is the blackest of black and the yellow really pops. GEC nailed it on this run, especially at this price point. Had fleeting hope of picking up one of Charlie's SFO, but thats not gonna happen, but very content with what I have.

I hope so Mike, but the only places I have seen them listed is KSF & The Knife Connection (And I'm watching every dealer Charlie has a relationship with like a hawk... windows open, logged in, refreshing regularly). You would have to have some incredible luck to land one at two separate dealers with such small offerings to the dealers. As much traffic as these drops generate it would be almost impossible IMO.
Anyone who is informed and inclined to purchase more than one knife could do that. Not all of the dealers list these on their website or announce the drop...especially when there is only like 8-10 tops per dealer. Sometimes an email or phone call is all it takes and then if you are on top of the drop notifications you can score one or two more from other dealers. As long as dealers limit them to one per person, there isn't much else that can be done to prevent flippers...other than discourage the behavior and avoid purchasing from them.

Anyone who is informed and inclined to purchase more than one knife could do that. Not all of the dealers list these on their website or announce the drop...especially when there is only like 8-10 tops per dealer. Sometimes an email or phone call is all it takes and then if you are on top of the drop notifications you can score one or two more from other dealers. As long as dealers limit them to one per person, there isn't much else that can be done to prevent flippers...other than discourage the behavior and avoid purchasing from them.
I totally get what you and Charlie are saying. I for one would never pay that kind of money to someone who clearly purchased just to flip. I’m also a capitalist and understand free markets and supply/demand. The whole reason these put these knives up at these price points is precisely because someone out there might pay it. Many of them do end up relisting lower but still at a very high mark up. If there was no market, they wouldn’t price them at the extreme mark up. It’s almost taking the fun out of collecting GEC at all.

When I see this stuff, I can’t help but have the circus running through my head. That and the old saying, “A fool and his money”.

As for this topic, I’m done... rant off. Sorry to all for high jacking the thread and it’s intended purpose.

Last edited:
I saw that... & he has x2 of them. There's a third being sold by another guy for $384.99 + shipping. I know it shouldn't make me so heated, but it does. Just grinds my gears.

Bothers me too, but it's part of our hobby. It's pretty likely that all the sellers are on this forum. I feel bad for the guy that needs to go through all that to make money. That was the nice thing about serial numbers.. you could track the knifes history fairly easy.

Prices can be absurd!! I know of a private deal for a Grinling Whittler that sold for $1000!!
I am happy that these #97s are so beautiful!! I will probably wind up with two or three. The pair that Matt_WY (above or below) has is amazing!!:thumbsup:

Thanks Charlie! These were the two I knew I wanted to get. GEC occasionally throws out a surprise or two on a run, easy to caught up in the chase.

waynorth waynorth thanks for the reply. To clarify I love small runs and I think they should continue, I just believe that the standard runs are getting too ‘standard’ (eg too many bar and cloud shields and repeat colours) and should be more flavoursome - to close the gap between them and the SFOs.

View attachment 1116666

But these are still pretty amazing!

Back