Another fantastic custom from NY

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by RL, Dec 5, 2008.

1. severedthumbs

severedthumbs

Nov 9, 2004
    I like it, but I have a question.

The normal custom RC go for about 875 to 1000. Is damascus really this valuable? This custom is over double the price of a normal custom. WOW, knice knife though.

2. tom mayo

tom mayo

Jan 27, 1999
    Mick has a lot of talent and makes whatever he wants to......

There is a big market for Strider knives.

End of story!!!!!

3. severedthumbs

severedthumbs

Nov 9, 2004

lol, ok.

Still the question stands, is damascus really this valuble?

Elsewhere there is an all "damascus" SnG for sale at a price of $3000. Now this is a knife that custom variants sell for $675-$1000. I just want to know wtf gives here??? I like the knife and I like some Strider knives, but God damn, wtf?

4. nikoknife48

nikoknife48 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Definately not a user. Really nice damascus and that blade is cool.

5. I agree with this statement...please do not read anything into what I said except his work is not my Genre....I have owned some of his work before both custom and production. All were very well made knives...just not my thing..

again...that is the great thing about the custom knife community. There is something for everyone. :thumbup:

6. d.parker

d.parker

Sep 1, 2001
    I've owned them and sold them...
    End of Story...

7. David Schott

David Schott

Sep 27, 2004
    ***I have removed a rude comment that was based on personal opinion that I should have kept to myself. I apologize to all involved.***

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  8. Mark G

Mark G

Aug 20, 2006
    Same here.....and to each their own. If you like 'em buy 'em.......

9. John T Wylie Jr

John T Wylie Jr

Feb 1, 2007
    Judging by how fast they sell off the tables at a show , and that some dealers snatched them up fast , well I think that answers your question.

May not be valuable to you , just as timascus and MOP have no value to me.
    To each his own. What next , you gonna complain about the price of a Loveless , J. Young , etc ?

Simple solution , don't like the price , step aside son , someone else will buy it before you can think twice. Complaining about the price of custom knives is ridiculous , if the prices bother ya that much , stick to productions.

A lot of the hand ground customs are one offs , so to those who are into the Strider customs , yes they are worth the investment.

** still saving my $$$ for one **:D

10. severedthumbs

severedthumbs

Nov 9, 2004
    JTW I would be willing to bet it is only a handful of guys that buy these pieces. Hell they would buy Micks piss if he would sell it. They have to. They have to keep the market inflated because they bought in at asinine prices and cant see their investment depreciate. So they keep the hype up. It makes no sense to me to purchase knives that are already through their ceiling.

I don't consider a knife that has several other custom variants of it out there a one off. Sorry

He does grind a nice asymmetrical blade though.

11. John T Wylie Jr

John T Wylie Jr

Feb 1, 2007
    You can bet all you want , you would be wrong.

Never mind ,I get it now , you're a hater , figured it was personal and nothing to do with the knife itself.

12. Jose Reyes

Jose Reyes

Nov 14, 2001
    I would think it's because the scales and clip are not flat but that's just a guess. Don't care for all the design elements but this one is eye catching.

13. severedthumbs

severedthumbs

Nov 9, 2004

not a hater. I just think "fanboy syndrome" can be detrimental in some cases.

14. Tom Krein

Tom Krein

Feb 11, 2003
    As a fellow knifemaker, do you realize how UNCOOL it is to criticize another makers work on a public forum? Knocking down someones work will never maker yours better.

:thumbdn:

If you don't like it fine, don't post anything... :foot:

Nice work Mic!

Tom

15. David Schott

David Schott

Sep 27, 2004
    ***I have removed my personal opinion from this thread, as it didnt belong here to begin with***
    -Dave

16. ddd

ddd

Apr 6, 2003
    Having a Strider up on this Forum sure heats up things.....

I myself am THRILLED again and again by his bold designs!
    AND I have seen and held in my hands many (MANY!) custom "tactical" folders.

All the best,
    David Darom

17. Trisak

Trisak

Dec 18, 2004
    Very nice work!:thumbup:

18. shadowless

shadowless

Sep 2, 2007
    Jealousy in any industry is an ugly thing to see, sigh.
    It's a very sad day, when sheathmakers and knifemakers start publically criticizing another's work.

Mick has a ton of loyal fans, and rather than try to understand why and how that is so, too many folks would rather sit back, cry to themselves and get truly ugly in backbiting and words on the internet.

19. David Schott

David Schott

Sep 27, 2004
    Perhaps I should have listened to my mother when she said to keep my mouth shut unless I had nice things to say...sorry mom. I will now remove my comments with an apology. I need to choose my battle more wisely, i suppose.

20. shadowless

shadowless

Sep 2, 2007
    A fan posts about a knife he likes. THEN, a couple of guys state they don't like or are impressed by any of the brand name or maker's products, ok. I can accept that. To NOT like what someone may have done in the past or not, I can accept that, too. But to BRING that crap into the discussion of a knife's appearance, construction, style, whatever... is merely hatemongering.

I agree the best thing to do if you have nothing nice to say is not to say anything.

If you choose to publically wear the Scarlett Letter for being a Strider hater, that is your choice. I guess that the legions of Strider fans who might have chosen to peruse your products and wares would be glad that you at least have nothing to hide, and are proud of your status. I know they can respect that. But I doubt they'd buy any of your stuff, and I doubt you'd miss that market of clientele anyway.