Another fantastic custom from NY

I have seen photos of another "Harpoon" and it has the same issues with thumbhole placement as the one featured in this thread. I.e., intersecting the primary grind at different angles on each side of the blade.

It seems only to be an issue to a few , if the maker wanted it that way it ain't an issue , it's in the design. Can't see how or why it is even an issue ?

It can be something that an individual takes issue with. I've seen quite a few design features that I have not liked. When a person comments on a knife, they are going to present their own personal preferences.

It seems only to be an issue to a few , if the maker wanted it that way it ain't an issue , it's in the design. Can't see how or why it is even an issue ?

JTW do you design your grinds to be asymmetrical? I know Blackwood has done this before.

Not trying to start a flame war ok?

and the great thing about knife collecting is there is something for everyone..:thumbup:

That said...Nothing Strider has ever done has impressed me..this piece included.

Well said and I agree.

Don't know why you should be embarrassed, ashamed or sorry for stating your preference.

Last edited:
Kevin thanks for remimding me why I didn't join your forged bowie organization

Rl

Rl

That is not fair or accurate, RL.

You didn't join because you didn't want to.

Ever notice when you put up pictures of more "traditional" tactical knives, the compliments are steady, and the controversy is NONE!

You have an eye for tactical knives of extreme design and materials...that is cool, and I applaud your passion for the hobby.

That said, MANY if not MOST of the knife buying public in general is not going to share your aesthetic vision or joy, and instead of pointing out what you like, and maybe making converts along the way, you get defensive and snide...which is not how you get people to accept new ideas and concepts.

Wolfe Loerchner, S.R. Johnson, Steven Rapp, Charles Vestal and Anton Oey might be surprised to know that they are members of a forged bowie organization...you did know that the King Tut Dagger was on the cover of our 2009 catalog, right? It is made of solid gold, cold forged to tell the truth, but hardly indicative of the ABS SW Bowie crowd that I believe you are referring to.

You are welcome to join the CKCA at any point...and would BE welcomed.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Rl

If you visited the CKCA website/forum, and checked our member list I believe you would be quite surprised.

In addition to STeven list there's Todd & Tanya Begg, Edmund Davidson and many collector members that have very diverse collections.

Last edited:
JTW do you design your grinds to be asymmetrical? I know Blackwood has done this before.

I try to get them as close to symmetrical as I can , though I can't say I always succeed , but they are usually pretty darn close , but not as close as the guys who do this for a living.

Some do asymmetrical on purpose , and that is cool too...

Symmetrical or asymmetrical , either way is fine with me. :D

They are all knives , that is what matters. :thumbup:

Ren, this always happens in these threads so I don't believe you were the catalyst. There are folks on both sides of the fence on this issue so you can expect Strider and their detractors to be vilified by each camp.

Neil, I'm sure you're a nice guy but what you're saying sure sounds like might makes right to me. It's been about six months to a year since I've read any updates on Strider's special forces claims, so perhaps they've provided some proof since then, it's a real issue though that any prospective buyer should be aware of. That they could smash your nose in during a face to face is part of the image they're trying to project on their knives to draw in the tactical crowd, IMO. If they're unwilling to make any public statements regarding the situation why should I take anything they have to say about it in person at face value?

RL, Happy Birthday. These Strider customs are fancy, forged and pricey, should they not also be considered "chi chi frou frou" ? Of course not, this is a rugged, manly knife... :D (Sorry, teasing) I like the use of damascus scales, the recurve on the blade and the grooves, although I would prefer them framed and not all the way to the edge. If I loved every aspect of this knife I would not be afraid to say so. Anyone whose opinion I respect would not hold it against me, no matter how many chi chi frou frou forged bowies they have in their collections. ;) I can keep an open mind to the genre, but do have certain criteria I look for and am not particularly fond of superfluous features, so if I don't love every tactical you post don't hold it against me.

I think the issue has to do with lateral stress fracture, although I'm no expert so I may be wrong.

David Schott

Neil Ostroff here from True North Knives.

I happened into this thread on Bladeforums where a tactical custom knife collector posted a picture of a Mick Strider custom knife that I had received and sold.

He posted that pic in several forums- I posted that info on the USN where I have my own forum.

The Bladeforums thread got nasty, as many out there, clearly including you, have nothing else to do but sit back and take cheap shots at others.

I am a firm believer in free speech and the right to express an opinion anywhere including on the forums- that is what they are there for. But for you, a competing knife maker, to lower yourself to that level and to openly criticize another knifemakers work, (one that is not there to defend himself as well) is grossly unacceptable in my world.

As many of you know, I stand up for my friends.

In this case, you have joined the ranks of Chuck Gedraitis, who always has a nasty sarcastic comment to make about his competitors, but when at a knife show, he runs for cover when they are around- it is easy to sit back and pound away at the keyboard but face to face, the tune changes.
I see now that your excuse for being an unprofessional drama queen for this is his past - nice deke. Nice drama attempt.

Do you exhibit at the Blade Show? If so, let me arrange a meeting between you and Mick Strider—you can tell him to his face how you feel about his knives and of course his past. Maybe you will accept this invitation?

I hope so, because you will be the first knifemaker to tell him to his face what you feel cool about saying behind his back.

Have a nice day.

Neil Ostroff / TNK
TrueNorthKnives.com EST 1999

Neil, you say, what I highlighted, about everyone.

You accused me of dodging you at a show, but never extended an invitation, (meet for a duel?) to me at any point. Then when I don't speak with you, which I didn't know I was supposed to you say I dodged you. Grow up.

Neil, you say, what I highlighted, about everyone.

You accused me of dodging you at a show, but never extended an invitation, (meet for a duel?) to me at any point. Then when I don't speak with you, which I didn't know I was supposed to you say I dodged you. Grow up.

He might not have known who you were, Anthony?

I didn't, until I met you at BladeWest a few years back, now I know what you look like.

How are things going? Ever get that issue worked out with Artem?

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

He might not have known who you were, Anthony?

I didn't, until I met you at BladeWest a few years back, now I know what you look like.

How are things going? Ever get that issue worked out with Artem?

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

He didn't know who I was, YET told other people I dodged him?

Is that possible?

Kevin, I really don't think so. He has a better tactical collection than most of us forged blade aficionados have Bowies...

Jose, we generally don't post our forged bowies on a predominately tactical forum and expect everyone to appreciate them as much as we do.

I have never said that RL didn't have a very nice tactical collection or that I didn't respect him as a collector. I invited him to join the CKCA so he could see first hand that we don't favor any style custom knife over another. That's not what the CKCA is about.

Jose, we generally don't post our forged bowies on a predominately tactical forum and expect everyone to appreciate them as much as we do.

I have never said that RL didn't have a very nice tactical collection or that I didn't respect him as a collector. I invited him to join the CKCA so he could see first hand that we don't favor any style custom knife over another. That's not what the CKCA is about.

Don't mean to ruffle your feathers either, Kevin. Just mean that I don't think he's trolling, he probably thinks this is the best thing since sliced bread...

Back