Answer: A chopper and a small carry knife...............

randucci

Stag pocket/slip joint collector
Platinum Member
The question: What doesn't Busse make?

What are two of the most asked questions you see here in the Busse Forum?

1) What is the best large and medium chopper?

2) What is your favorite EDC knife in the 3.5" - 4" range knife?

The usual answer to question #1 ranges from a FBM, FFBM, SHBM, BME to FSH, FFSH, SHE, SHII, Sarsquach, ETC. The REAL answer should be a nice hatchet or small Axe, something like a Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet which has a 14" handle and a 3" cutting edge. I have one and it is a great little tool that is actually made for chopping! :eek:

The answer to question #2 is almost always either an Active Duty or a Mean Street. Small fixed blades are fine, but not very practicle in everyday use. I would bet that more than 85% of the people that carry a knife daily, carry a folding knife and that is what Busse needs to make. I would like to see any type of folding knife with a frame lock or other positive lock, I personally don't need the one that is nuke proof, but just that it works well. I have several quality frame locks that have never failed to stay in the locked position.

I guess I just get tired sometimes of the same threads repeating the need for a real chopper and a EDC knife.

O.K. I said my piece, now lets hear your opinions on the lack of a Axe or Folder.....................................

:D

Last edited:
1) FBM SE 2007. You can't baton (split) wood with a hatchet as easily, though I do recognize it holds its own in cross-grain chopping.

2) Bony AD. Thin is in.

The other question is: What should I get for my first Busse? The answer used to be: Any one you can get your hands on.

More recently, however, there are actual choices to consider.

Last edited:
And what!! no talk about the folder!!:p:D

thpig-animation.gif

....hurry I seen one at the store, someone grab it!

:D

Just so we don't get off on the wrong track, I wasn't asking what people thought their answer was to question #1 and #2, but rather your opinion on the lack of not being able to choose a Busse Axe or Folder as the answer to the questions. :D

It's a rare thing, but I seem to completely disagree with Randucci on this.

1) If the likes of the FBM aren't made for chopping, then what the eff are they made for? Certainly not for fine cutting tasks! With the sharp edge and the pointy tip, they don't make the best prybars either. So, quite obviously, these things are made for chopping and things like that. In some uses, they won't be anywhere near as good as a hatchet. In some uses, they'll be a lot better - like limbing small to medium branches off a tree in the thickets.

2) As for the folder thing, that may be true for North America. But things can be quite different elsewhere, in countries with longer knife traditions. (That is not to knock NA, simply to state the fact folks were making knives and swords out of laminated steel in Scandinavia before the looniest American Indian alarmists thought up the nightmare scenario that someday in the distant future a group of strange white people with strange weapons might come and settle in their lands.) Over here, folders ain't all that. And I can't see why they would be - they are a weak compromise, more expensive toys than serious tools, although a skilled user (or someone with very little to actually do) can still use them highly effectively.

I'm probably one of the few who not only aren't interested in seeing a Busse folder, but actually hope that one is never even put into production. Why? Even if it was a Busse, it would still be a folder, and inherently weak. Not only that, being far more complicated to make than a real knife (=fixed blade), it would take far more time from the Busse shop, and, steal time that could used to make far, far superior knives.

Besides, what could Busse offer in the field of folders that no one else could? INFI, while great steel, isn't exactly in its element in a folder, where the rest of the knife will fall apart long before the toughness benefits of INFI will really show. Sure, INFI is chip-resistant - but what the heck would one do with a folder that would cause you to need that kind of chip resistance? No to a Busse folder, says I. Now, an INFI hatchet or axe would be interesting - and also probably so expensive there would be no sensible reason to ever consider one, considering there are already extremely tough quality axes out with much better availability.

I think Busse should stick to what they're better than anyone else at doing - which is exactly what they're doing right now, extreme use fixed blades.

Yeah a INFI Paul Bunyon Special Nuked Axe.............that was a great idea.. i want custom shop one with Burl Ash handle and Infi handle wedge............................ oooh and Banned.........

Last edited:
Wow.. Well Said. I am in full agreement.

Can care less about a Busse folder.. Infi is better suited for larger knives.
I would prefer a harder steel for a folder anyways.
Striders are really all I need..

I do think Busse needs to come out with a large ax..

It's a rare thing, but I seem to completely disagree with Randucci on this.

1) If the likes of the FBM aren't made for chopping, then what the eff are they made for? Certainly not for fine cutting tasks! With the sharp edge and the pointy tip, they don't make the best prybars either. So, quite obviously, these things are made for chopping and things like that. In some uses, they won't be anywhere near as good as a hatchet. In some uses, they'll be a lot better - like limbing small to medium branches off a tree in the thickets.

2) As for the folder thing, that may be true for North America. But things can be quite different elsewhere, in countries with longer knife traditions. (That is not to knock NA, simply to state the fact folks were making knives and swords out of laminated steel in Scandinavia before the looniest American Indian alarmists thought up the nightmare scenario that someday in the distant future a group of strange white people with strange weapons might come and settle in their lands.) Over here, folders ain't all that. And I can't see why they would be - they are a weak compromise, more expensive toys than serious tools, although a skilled user (or someone with very little to actually do) can still use them highly effectively.

I'm probably one of the few who not only aren't interested in seeing a Busse folder, but actually hope that one is never even put into production. Why? Even if it was a Busse, it would still be a folder, and inherently weak. Not only that, being far more complicated to make than a real knife (=fixed blade), it would take far more time from the Busse shop, and, steal time that could used to make far, far superior knives.

Besides, what could Busse offer in the field of folders that no one else could? INFI, while great steel, isn't exactly in its element in a folder, where the rest of the knife will fall apart long before the toughness benefits of INFI will really show. Sure, INFI is chip-resistant - but what the heck would one do with a folder that would cause you to need that kind of chip resistance? No to a Busse folder, says I. Now, an INFI hatchet or axe would be interesting - and also probably so expensive there would be no sensible reason to ever consider one, considering there are already extremely tough quality axes out with much better availability.

I think Busse should stick to what they're better than anyone else at doing - which is exactly what they're doing right now, extreme use fixed blades.

Wow.. Well Said. I am in full agreement.

Can care less about a Busse folder.. Infi is better suited for larger knives.
I would prefer a harder steel for a folder anyways.
Striders are really all I need..

I do think Busse needs to come out with a large ax..

Good to know I'm not the only one! :D

An axe would be cool, but I wouldn't buy one. Many would though I guess.

And I don't see how they could make a better folder than the Sebenza. It's straight handle is perfect for me and I dought a Busse would have a straight handle.

Also wouldn't want a folder any heavier or tougher than a sebenza. I feel a Busse's would be on heavy side like the Striders...if I need something that heavy and tough I'll go with a fixed blade. JMHO..which means very little:p

Well said by Elen and Jarvis. That is why I prefer larger busse knives. The are my tough ones. If I want elegance, I choose another manufacturer.

I agree with most everything being said against the folder, however, my take is this. INFI holds an edge much longer than most anything and it has been proven time and time again by people that didn't even know they were proving the point in their own test. In any case, I would want a folder only on the following condition: That the Rc be raised to 62-63. At that Rc, it will outlast almost anything ever made and them some. Toughness is not an issue in a folder anyway as the knife is only as strong as it's weakest link which is usually the pivot.

As for a hatchet/hawk, I am all for it, same goes for a khukuri.

Maybe I'm missing something--I typically seem to be at odds with the opinion du jour around here. But why spend the money for an INFI hatchet or axe? Has anyone ever broken an axe head while chopping wood? Estwing makes a one-piece forged steel camper's axe with integral head/handle and nice, cushy vibration-proof handle for about $50 that will handle any chopping chore that couldn't be better accomplished with a chain saw.

I fully agree with the points Randucci makes about axes/hatchets designed for chopping and folders being the most practical carry knives for most bladework. I would also include a machete for stuff smaller than 2" dia. To me the value of the larger Busse's is in having a tool that will do all of those things in a pinch, most of them pretty well, in a steel that is as close to the perfect compromise in strength/toughness/edge holding as I've seen.

This does bring me to my No. 1 Busse Wishlist entry, though. The only time I don't have an axe and a machete available is when I'm packing gear on my back into remote country. For that use, an FBM-type chopper is awfully heavy and also awkward for finer bladework. The best knives I have found for that situation are the knives of the Basic line--esp the B9 and B7. Hence my wish:

Produce a set of Basics, based on the original line with .25" thick blades, but out of INFI steel.

Okay, completely off topic now...signing off...

w

I would like a nessmuk style baby double bit axe.

I carry INFI every day, even around the house, no folders.
I would like to see more EDC INFI in a size that is actually legal for me to carry.
There is a 2 inch knife law here, guess how many legal Busse there are for me....:cool:

I'm pretty much in agreement with WY.

As for a folder - I ask, Why Not"? What's the worst thing that can happen; it won't be a success? I see the cost issue but don't quite understand it completely.
This Company has put out a long line of extremely useful and collectible INFI fixed blade with great success. These all cost money to make, why not try a folder or two? If it’s anywhere near the quality of Busse f/b’s it will most likely be one of the ‘better’ high-end knives on the market. If people don’t like it, they won’t buy it and it will stop being produced; but they WILL sell. Just my .02c.

In my limited use and collection, I love my Sarsquatch – which has only seen limited use but me, my wife and my daughter are going camping and it’s gonna see use ;) (I’ll try to get some pics – Adirondack Mountains).

A smaller carry is my Strider smf; at camp it will be the smf, Nuc. EDC, Ssquatch.

I have never owned a ‘Basic’ model but I would imagine that they would be very effective.

In any case, I would want a folder only on the following condition: That the Rc be raised to 62-63. At that Rc, it will outlast almost anything ever made and them some.

Well, my objection to this is that not all steel types can be heat treated successfully to 62 Rc. It is not an coincidence that most folders are made from S30V or 154CM. Even the rattraps. Much more wear resistant and better edge retention. And then the issue is: Are people are going to buy this folder because it is better, or just because it is a busse? I agree that it will sell, but once again I think that infi is a great steel for large heavy duty knives.
However, I must say that till I perform an edge retention test on 62 Rc infi and other types of steel, I can give infi the benefit of the doubt. Time (and Jerry) will show.

Back