1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antique Cattaraugus Knives and Company History

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Primble, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Primble

Primble

Mar 31, 2014
    [​IMG]

A couple of old Cattaraugus knives showed up at my home today, just in time for the holiday. I purchased the Ebony wood Sleeveboard from an antique knife dealer and the beautiful red bone equal end knife was a gift from my friend Markesharp. I had seen Mark post pictures of this knife before, however, at the time the settings on his camera were a little too saturated and I helped him fix that. Some of you will remember the wonderful Hatch knife that Mark sent me and some will remember the NYKC knife which I recently sent to Mark. Now I just don't know why Mark thought he needed to send me another fine old knife. He said he could not bond with it. :confused::rolleyes:

Maybe I need to send him a bottle of super glue to help him bond better to some of his old knives ! :grumpy::D

When I saw the old knife in person, I was very impressed with the beauty and condition of the old knife. :eek::eek::eek::)

Mark - I love this ole knife and I appreciate the gesture immensely. It will always remain in my possession and remind me of your generosity and friendship. :thumbup::thumbup:;)

You probably had no way of knowing that you have helped me decide to change the course of the Primble River. Since I now have five beautiful old Cattaraugus knives and another nice one on the way, I have decided to let the Primble River branch off into the Cattaraugus River, beginning in 2015. My collecting focus for old knives will focus on some nice old Cattaraugus knives to compliment the ones I already have and less of the old John Primbles, since my Primble cabinet is stuffed full.

I also have enough steel to make another display and some nice walnut in the attic of my shed. I will get my table saw out at some point this winter and begin a magnetic wall display, with a frontal look similar to my Primble and Boker cabinets. For the header on the top, I will draw some Cattaraugus graphics and carve it into a 3D title for the walnut cabinet. My hope is to have a really neat Cattaraugus knife and display collection, by the end of 2015.

and now - the knives that came to Thanksgiving:

Cattaraugus, Little Valley, N.Y., USA, red bone equal end model 22589, circa 1886-1963:
    [​IMG]
    Cattaraugus, Little Valley, N.Y., USA, ebony wood Sleeveboard model 22226, circa 1886-1963:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other Cats:

Cattaraugus, Little Valley, N.Y., USA, bone equal end model 22579, circa 1886-1963:
    [​IMG]

Cattaraugus, Little Valley, N.Y., USA, bone swell center pen 22979, circa 1886-1963:
    [​IMG]

Cattaraugus Cocabola Swell End Jack knife:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the purposes of this thread, "Antique" or "old" refers to any knife made by the original Cattaraugus Cutlery Company, until the doors were closed in 1963.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    WinonaRail, Rambler and Travman like this.
  2. Alnamvet68

Alnamvet68

Mar 26, 2013
    Very nice, like in :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:Bravo Zulu!!!

3. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Mark and Primble...two GREAT people and forum members:thumbup:

I truly look forward to the new Catt house;):D

Have a great Thanksgiving guys:thumbup:

4. Markesharp

Markesharp KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 8, 2014
    I love Cats, They taste just like chicken! :eek: Awesome knives Primble! :D

5. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
    We had an old cat show up at our house 2 weeks before thanksgiving:

[​IMG]

She has been in our guest bedroom ever since, while we figure out what to do with her (and while we treat her for a couple of medical conditions that the vet found when we had her checked out.) That brings us up to 4 cats in our house this Thanksgiving. 3 resident, plus this guest.

Oh, and to stay on topic - here are some knives:
    [​IMG]

Well, that's three knives, so here are two more cats for an even balance:
    [​IMG]

Sorry, I don't have any Cattaraugus Cutlery knives to share. :(

6. Primble

Primble

Mar 31, 2014
    and another Cat that I purchased today and will be headed my way come Friday:
    [​IMG]

(pic from the dealer)

7. Chris Montgomery

Chris Montgomery

Dec 8, 2011
    I am liking the change in the flow. Not that I could ever be tired of the old John Primble knives. I am looking forward to seeing more of the Catts and your great images.

Chris

8. pistonsandgears

pistonsandgears Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Nice cats :thumbup:

9. clutchcarter

clutchcarter Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2011
    That's a great brand to collect! This is going to be fun to watch!

10. KBA

KBA

Apr 27, 2014
    Well done gentlemen. :thumbup:

I look forward to seeing the end result.

Beautiful additions.

11. Markesharp

Markesharp KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 8, 2014
    I am kinda bonded to this reverse gunstock Catt.........for right now anyway. :eek:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  12. Primble

Primble

Mar 31, 2014
    At least you have furry Cats John - that is a nice start. ;):D I have two furry ones, so I guess that gives me 8 total Cats instead of six total Cats. :D

13. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Feel kinda bad about stepping on your thread with cat pictures. How Internet of me. But she really did show up out of nowhere (stray, probably dumped by people who didn't want to pay vet bills since she needs special care) and is still here for Thanksgiving. So please forgive my cliché.

14. Primble

Primble

Mar 31, 2014
    Does that say "Primble" on the tang of that Cat??? :eek::eek::eek::D

Maybe I will send you a bottle of super glue remover for Christmas. :D:D:eek:

I will find something to trade you out of that little beauty. ;):D ( here we go again :eek: )

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  15. Primble

Primble

Mar 31, 2014
    No need to feel bad John - I like furry cats a lot. I was laughing at your post. :thumbup::D

16. Old & In The Way

Old & In The Way Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2013
    This thread made me :D. Good on you Mark, and congrats to you Primble. Some wonderful examples already and I'm looking forward to seeing how your collection develops in 2015.

17. Markesharp

Mar 8, 2014
    You got it. I am in a New York frame of mind. :D

18. Markesharp

Mar 8, 2014
    Thank you Stephan. Primble is an okay guy ya know :confused: or so I've been told. :eek:

Happy Thanksgiving to you! :D

19. Markesharp

Mar 8, 2014
    Good for you John. You are taking care of a cat that was abandoned.....good man. :thumbup:

20. Old & In The Way

Old & In The Way Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Thank you, and yes, Primble is in fact an 'okay' guy. ;) I hope that you have a happy Thanksgiving too. :)