Antique Cattaraugus Knives and Company History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't link to other sites about research that you are doing on your knife.
Please don't post pictures of other knife brands which you think might have been inspired by a Cattaraugus knife.
Of course, one can start your own thread if you are seeking opinions on originality or optionally try the Old Knives thread. ;) 😊
I have clarified this on page one ... post number one. ;) 😊

Last edited:
For the purposes of this thread, "Antique" or "old" refers to any knife made by the original Cattaraugus Cutlery Company, until the doors were closed in 1963.
From Page 1 ..... posted in 2014.

I sincerely apologize if I was one of the offenders! If I need to edit or otherwise delete any posts, just let me know.

Thank you my friend for being a gentleman ! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I have been so blessed to have been able to get some very early Cattaraugus and JBF Champlin items. Here is JBF’s early ledger.

Yes you have ! ................ but your passion for the brand and some bird doggin' also come into play, I would think.
Fantastic find ! :thumbsup::oops:

Here’s the first page of the second ledger of JBF Champlin

I was hoping to see the ledger open. I even went and bought popcorn. Most appreciated ! :thumbsup:😍
Interesting ....... that 1899 Catt abbreviation, which some of us use today.
I wonder what "Bk of Catt" represented ? 🤔 🤔

F29-A253-A-B6-D6-43-E9-A2-CE-DB4067-BDF6-D8.jpg

21087. My only Catt. folder, and my sleekest and possibly most elegant electrician/linesman.

Rob, overpaying for Catts seems to be the rule wherever I see them.
Just comes down to how bad ya want it.

I don't regret paying what I did for any of my Catt knives. Many in my collection were purchased before the greater inflation occurred. I agree, it does come down to that and condition is everything, something that some online sellers don't seem to recognize. 😊

F29-A253-A-B6-D6-43-E9-A2-CE-DB4067-BDF6-D8.jpg

21087. My only Catt. folder, and my sleekest and possibly most elegant electrician/linesman.

I think it is your most elegant electrician. I don't think that another one has ever been posted in this thread ........ pleased to have it included ! :thumbsup:😍

Not sure what you mean??

I might have jumped to conclusions too fast Mike. I thought the figures were related to weekly materials and labor costs.
Upon closer examination and a little more thought, it probably means something totally different. 🤔

I recall Jack Black mentioning, a few years ago, that history threads are hardly worth managing and that links, pictures, etc. get broken or lost along the way. He said that he was not going to start any more of those kind of threads. I recall thinking that he was likely correct.

I have been debating the past month about keeping my history threads open. I once thought that they were some of my best contributions to the porch. I'm not so sure any longer and tend to think that Jack was exactly correct.

Furthermore, the new image enforcement of image numbers was taking up a substantial portion of my allotted numbers of pictures. I feel they might be put to use better elsewhere.

Many of the image links were already missing and today I deleted all of my pictures, which means a whole lot more are now missing.

I am now closing this thread permanently.

I want to thank everyone who participated over the past ten years. :thumbsup: 😊

Closing this door will allow anyone who desires to open a similar thread, without having a competing thread.

The activity here was not all that active and the Old Knives thread remains open for all of your old knife brands.

The New York Knife Company History and the Antique John Primble Knives and Company History threads have also been closed.

I highly recommend the book Cattaraugus Cutlery Co., by Roy Ritchie and Ron Stewart, as well as Cattaraugus Cutlery Co., by Dewey Ferguson. Those books can guide you well, if you are starting a collection of these outstanding knives.

Thank you contributors, once again. 😊

catslarge1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back