Any long term EDC stories?

About 7-8 administrations ago, I would regularly carry a Buck 110 or Buck Pathfinder with me to high school... and I lived in the SF Bay Area.:eek:

I would sit in history or english class and carve spirals on my pencils so they would look like drill bits. The great thing about carving a pencil like this, is when you loan it to someone, they can't say "Its not your pencil." I still love the smell of the cedar shavings.

ric

I've been carrying the same Case Sodbuster Jr. for about 3 months. Might not seem that long, but before that, i changed knives everyday

My dad gave me a Victorinox Spartan in the early 70's that I EDC'd until sometime in the mid 90's. The scales fell off later in its life, so I sent it in and they put new scales on it with toothpick and tweezers. Upgrade! After I lost it I switched to a Tinker, and the Phillips driver sees much more use than the corkscrew ever did. I still carry a Tinker or a One-Handed Trekker everyday in addition to a simple folder. I am always fixing stuff, and the other tools get more use, collectively, than the main blade does.

Bill

Carried a Spyderco Worker for about 12 years. Retired it a while back when I found out I couldn't get another. The best folder I have ever had.

Now if Spyderco would just make one in G-10 like all the other classics.:confused:

Anyone know when the original Spyderco Delica came out? I bought it then, and have carried it daily since, it's still in my back right pocket. Despite having the molded zytel pocket clip, it's never broken off or fallen out. Funny thing is, it's the only fully serrated blade I've ever bought. Got it right after seeing someone that looked trapped by his seatbelt in a smoking car wreck.

Anyone know when the original Spyderco Delica came out? I bought it then, and have carried it daily since, it's still in my back right pocket. Despite having the molded zytel pocket clip, it's never broken off or fallen out. Funny thing is, it's the only fully serrated blade I've ever bought. Got it right after seeing someone that looked trapped by his seatbelt in a smoking car wreck.

http://spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C11_Delica

I EDC'd a Victorinox Hiker for a good five or so years when I was a teenager, before I had the income to amass a decent collection

In some ways the knife knut thing has spoiled the "purity" of having an edc and sticking to it.

I agree. My longest-term EDC was a SAK Tinker I carried from about 1989-1991, then again for about 5 years starting in 2000. Then I got "into" knives. Since then, I seem to stick to an EDC for 3-6 months at a time. If a knife is good enough to last a few months in my pocket, I'll generally "Hall of Fame" it and it will not sell it off.

Instead of "my" Tinker, now I have 4 user Tinkers in rotation. They are just a commodity now, like paracord. I couldn't pick my original Tinker out of the group anymore. :(

On the other hand, I'm much more conscious and aware of my EDC knife now that I am a knife knut. When it was just a SAK in my pocket or around my neck, it was just a pocketknife. I wasn't thinking about it until I used it. Now, I think about the knife in my pocket, the knives in my EDC pack, and all the others in the drawer at home.

Mt BM 722 has about 10 years on it, it's been my EDC since I got it.
Then there's the BM 3550 that I carried almost every day in the military.
Beyond that, I have a no name knife that's about 15 years old, I quit carrying it when I got my 722 and 3550.

1978 Case 22087 bought new after wifey broke the tip off clip of my first 78 22087.
Eventually reshaped #1 and used whichever one I found first each morning until #1 went missing for about 5 yrs. I didn't have a rotation until about 2004 when I decided the 22087 had earned a day off once in awhile. Decided that when a 1982 Queen 9105 jack showed up. A bit larger and more HD than the 087. The 9105 doesn't have snap, when it closes it says CLACK. Then recently I got a Vic green alox cadet. Barely noticeable in the pocket and found it quite handy to have a cap lifter and screwdriver tips within reach more than once.
The SW7s Schrade someone gave me but i didn't bother to open the bag for about a year, didn't like the plastic (zytel actually)handles. I finally opened it and after discovering how useful it was to have in a back pocket while doing yard chores, it won me over. When one hand is tied up, a knife that can bedrawn and opened with just the other hand can be quite an asset to have along.
Latest has been around for 12-18 months, a 1998 chestnut 63032 cv found in an antique store's misc junk drawer. Didn't look resharpened, but blades did have some spotting and light pitting from neglect. Bolsters had typical drawer rattling marks. Still, $15 sounded reasonable to me for a relief toter and I had time to clean it up and change the oil.
So one knife has 30yrs service before any real time off, and the others are my indulgence after my 30+yrs of service.
I think the 22087 is still in better shape than me.
EJ22087FrO.jpg

5EDCs.jpg

Back in '92-'93, I found a SAK Huntsman in the road, run over, with a scale broken off. I worked on it, got it working perfectly, re-scaled in mahogany, and carried it pretty regularly for 14 years. In early '07, it needed to be retired, and as I'm deciding on what to get next, in April of that same year, I find another Huntsman lying in the road. Both still get carried pretty regularly. The retiree gets a lot of use at home, and the 'new' one gets pocket time several days a week.

So, two of the same knife, carried for 4+ presidential administrations.

thx - cpr

i have a frost cutlery raven claw that has not left my keys or pocket in well over 7 or so years. It isn't very sharp its mainly there if i need a serrated knife since my tenacious is plain edge. but now that i have a tactical blur i think i will be ok. but the frost wont leave my keys, i feel naked without it. Ive had it since i was a little kid so it wont be going anywhere.

I really like both of these blades. Did you make them both? Look like handy little EDCs.

R0016471.JPG

I carried this one for fifteen years.
It was taken to France, Italy, Switzerland and most of the major mountains in Japan.
Skiing, climbing, caving, stream climbing, fishing and camping.
It was carried until I make next one shown below.
2009.11.01.r0019243.jpg

Now I carry this one to almost everywhere.
I carry no other blade.

In my safe I have a Case moose pattern with what probably started out in life as jigged bone scales. They are worn almost smooth. This knife was my Grandfathers EDC knife for no telling how long. He was bedridden the last few years of his life and died in 1977.

My Dad picked the knife up off of the dresser and carried it from then until he finally became wheelchair bound in 2008. That's 31 years with the same knife. He told me to take it but I'm too scared of losing it to carry it often. I usually only carry it when I'm going to visit him.

R0016471.JPG

I carried this one for fifteen years.
It was taken to France, Italy, Switzerland and most of the major mountains in Japan.
Skiing, climbing, caving, stream climbing, fishing and camping.
It was carried until I make next one shown below.
2009.11.01.r0019243.jpg

Now I carry this one to almost everywhere.
I carry no other blade.

I really like the simple aesthetics of your knives. It's understated design is truly striking. Nice idea to use one pin right in the middle of the handle, it is unique and I like it a lot.:thumbup:

I have carried pocket knives and fix blades for over 30 years. Always had a knife. Had hundreds. Usually I get tired of em after 6 months to a year. I got into quality ones for the past 20 years. I have owned so many but the one that stands out the most is the bradley Alias I. I have carried it for almost a year and that is a lot for me. For me it is the perfect size for EDC. Great lock up, Awsome blade shape, Great steel. Fit and finish on par with knives much more expensive. I think this knife will be with me for the rest of my life. Its that good. Before this one carried for about 3 years a BM Skirmish. Before that BM 710. Lots of knives come and go. I have some very expensive ones too but these three I have kept and carried the longest. It takes a lot to keep my interest when it comes to knives and guns so for me to own them that long you know I really like them.

Close to a decade ago the Victorinox Cybertool came out - I read about it and thought "that would be a damn useful tool for me" so I ordered one. I got it as soon as the local importer had them in stock - so probably one from the first batch in the country. I have carried it as my EDC ever since.
I liked having the Cybertool on hand so much that a few months later I bought a LM Wave (original one) and have carried that ever since as well.

So that is a SAK & a multitool for EDC for more than 2 presidential terms. They are still in excellent condition and I intend to keep carrying them for many years to come.

I have recently bought 3 folders and 3 fixed blades - but they are illegal to carry (or at least on legal shaky ground) so I will stick to the multitool & SAK for normal day to day carry. The various tools are more useful than just a blade anyway and between 2 tools I have a total of 4 blades. I don't think the sheeple would want to see me walking around with a 7" blade fixed knife anyway (BK-7).

My son carried a Delica 2nd generation from 1996 until 2008 in the US Navy as a Boatswains Mate. It saw some hard use. When he retired I gave him a Delica 4. His Delica 2 still looks pretty good.

I still carry the Victorinox Spartan my wife gave me when we first started dating 15 years ago, and have work EDC'd a large regular Sebenza for just over ten.

Back