Any long term EDC stories?

I carried a PUMA Huntec-II almost every day for about 7 years from 1995 to 2002. Made in Germany stainless steel chisel ground combo blade and stainless steel handle with rubber inserts. Linerlock with no spacers/bushings and a pretty thin liner but seems to lockup good enough though there has always been some slight blade play up and down. Mystery SS blade blade has held up very nicely and takes and keeps and edge well. The checkered rubber inserts are almost smooth now and one of them started to peel a little. Heavy for such a little knife but easy to open and easy to close and always works on countless occasions. Always needed to tighten it up here and there and just never had any loc-tite when the thought occurred to me. A lot of sentimental value in this knife but there are a lot of better options out there that I am aware of now so it got retired.

Carried a Vic Swisschamp for about 13 years (bought it around '93, carried until around 2006). Used it for everything and without care. It took all abuse and was fine. I sent it back to Vic in 2006 for maintenance; they just sent a new one.

I sometimes wish they hadn't done that; memories were tied to that blade.

I carried a Buck 521 for about 16 years until I got a Ritter minigrip. I've carried that for the last 3.

I have a Swiss Army Tinker that I have carried everyday for almost 17 years. I even carried it everyday in high school. It has been a great blade and has been used. I really enjoy that knife and it has tons of stories behind it. I rotate out other knives I carry, but one thing is for sure my Tinker will be in my pocket.

I carried a Schrade SP3 for about 3 or 4 years when I was younger. That's the longest I've carried one particular folder.

I have a Case XX 11031SH I bought in 1978 and I carried it till july of 1999. I bought a Benchmade 710 ATS-34 and I've carried it since. I will carry a few others, but they are carried with the 710, not in place of it.

Well I have mentioned this one before, but since it fits here, I will again. I got married in June 1989. That Christmas my wife gave me a Victorinox Huntsman. That was my only carry knife till about 2 years ago, when I started collecting knives. Then is mostly sat and I carried others. A couple of weeks ago i read something that got me thinking about how much I like the combination of tools on the Huntsman. So I pulled it out again and put wome of my newer SAK's back in the case. I carried it yesturday. And today I spent some quility time with her and sharpened up the two blades and cleaned and olied her up and carried her today. I plan on carrying her for at least the next month. Kinda like a 20th Anniversary Tour. LOL But it might just stay as my main one. because like others have said, I like the idea of having one you carry for a long time and it gets stories with it. And since this one already has a 20 year head start, and is still in great shape, why not continue?

DPP_005.jpg

DPP_006.jpg

Bought an Endura when they first came out. Eventually it turned into a slipjoint and I sent it to Spyderco for repair. They sent it to engineering and sent me a new one. I had picked up an Endura3 (apparently the stainless model is considered the Endura2) to hold me over and I liked the metal clip better. Bought a couple of other Spydercos but they didn't bump the Endura3 out of my pocket.

Technically not used or EDC'ed continuously but my aunt gave me a Vic Explorer in 1985 and it's still alive and kicking.

Victorinox Huntsman - I've had this one since 1991. Sawblade snapped 2 or 3 years back, but everything else is fine.

just this old almar for me i carry it with me daily to work but not when im off its a knockaround knife with a lot of character it was made in seki city but i have no ideas the model nimber , the blade does have some wiggle to it now though but its a great work knife .
1203090943.jpg

i have a blue kershaw scallion that was made for sears and says craftsman on the handle that my brother gave to me as a gift. i have edc it for 7 or 8 years through 40 states and 14 different countries. i have only quit carrying it in the last month because i got a RAT Izula to replace it, i broke the tip. i still have it in my edc bag though.

monsterdog, is the blade steel type stamped on that blade? Very curious about that knife. Any info would be much appreciated. How is the edge holding? Ease of sharpening. Etc. Thanks.

no blade steel it does hold an edge good but is hard to sharpen the only thing on the blade besides the almar logo on one side and seki japan on the other

Marthinus mentions owning a Kershaw model 1044. My brother called me this morning and said he has an unused Kershaw lockback with Japan and 1044 on the blade (about 3"). Can't believe my luck. I was looking for a lockback. Someone gave him the knife years ago and he never used it.

Can anyone tell me what a model 1044 is?
Can't find anywhere on web. Maybe an earlier model of Black Colt?

My first post. I love carbon steel blades but who is going to turn down a free Kershaw?

Now about my long time EDC: For 21 years I have had an Old Timer which was already about 30 years old. It is 3 5/16" closed, has what appears to be brown bone handles and a 3 blade Stockman pattern. Now the good part! The tang stamp says "ULSTER USA". Nothing else. No Schrade, no part number. I checked with the folks who are experts in Schrade history and think it is an experimental version of what is now known as the 58OT seen here.

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/newOT/pages/58OT.htm

They have never seen or heard of this particular knife with the Ulster USA tang stamp even though they know that Ulster bought Schrade and later merged everything into Schrade. If anyone knows more please post.

The knife has been in my family since it was new. My Mother gave it to my older brother to hold and pass on to me after her death. Just another treasure she had hidden away. She didn't give him any history on it.

Carbon44

Last edited:
Delica 3 ATS-55 CE. Carried IWB for longer than some here have been alive, going back to when they were just introduced. I keep buying better/faster/stronger knives but nothing has yet knocked it out of my waistband.

A couple of other EDC tools are in the same category and same age/timeframe. Example: a very old SF 6Z that has had three replacement tailcaps, half a dozen replacement lexan windows, a replacement hex/pyrex bezel, various bulb replacedments and an M60 LED drop-in upgrade, not to mention many replacement rings.

Marthinus mentions owning a Kershaw model 1044. My brother called me this morning and said he has an unused Kershaw lockback with Japan and 1044 on the blade (about 3"). Can't believe my luck. I was looking for a lockback. Someone gave him the knife years ago and he never used it.

Can anyone tell me what a model 1044 is?
Can't find anywhere on web. Maybe an earlier model of Black Colt?

My first post. I love carbon steel blades but who is going to turn down a free Kershaw?

Now about my long time EDC: For 21 years I have had an Old Timer which was already about 30 years old. It is 3 5/16" closed, has what appears to be brown bone handles and a 3 blade Stockman pattern. Now the good part! The tang stamp says "ULSTER USA". Nothing else. No Schrade, no part number. I checked with the folks who are experts in Schrade history and think it is an experimental version of what is now known as the 58OT seen here.

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/newOT/pages/58OT.htm

They have never seen or heard of this particular knife with the Ulster USA tang stamp even though they know that Ulster bought Schrade and later merged everything into Schrade. If anyone knows more please post.

The knife has been in my family since it was new. My Mother gave it to my older brother to hold and pass on to me after her death. Just another treasure she had hidden away. She didn't give him any history on it.

Carbon44
Found the answer myself. Nice lady at Kershaw says 1044 is Lil Hoss, made 1992-1996. Brother to Big Hoss (Model 1061). 1044 similar to black colt II but fewer finger scallops on handle and hidden lockback. Retail MSRP 1993 - $34.95. Not available anywhere. Big Hoss available via web NIB mostly from eBay. Lil Hoss closed - a little less than 4" with ~3" blade. Big Hoss 5" closed, 4" blade. AUS 6 steel. Made in Japan.

SOG Autoclip circa 1997, carried as a near-exclusive EDC up until the last year or two. There were some that relieved it on occasion, but by and large it was the one. Held up wonderfully, held an edge well, skinned at least 15 deer/hogs, and now has a very respected spot in the safe and is carried only on occasion. Its my only SOG.

Edit: No idea what steel it is, not marked Seki or anything else other than SOG for that matter. If anyone has a line on that, I'd love to know!!

Back